JASM Responsibilities

Ok, so you have a scout that was a great SPL or Troop Guide, but then when he becomes a JASM he no longer feels like he has an active role in running the troop. I've seen this many times over the years, especially when the new SPL is doing a good job. The JL Handbook doesn't offer much guidance about this position.

Last night one of my JASM's who had been a very good TG ask me if he could run for SPL next election for this reason (I said I felt yes but that we'd run it by the PLC).

Can anyone that has had troops with very successful JASM positions please provide some info on how you keep them feeling part of active troop leadership? What else fo you do with your senior jr leaders after their tenure is up?

I've never had the problem of the JASM not being busy enuf! I use my JASM like another ASM, I give him responsibility for working on a problem (a scout who's not active enuf, a patrol in need of a nudge, etc.). Perhaps being in charge of all the troop guides, or planning your camp outs (supervising that part of PLC) would work.

yis, jim

I've never had the problem of the JASM not being busy enuf! I use my JASM like another ASM, I give him responsibility for working on a problem (a scout who's not active enuf, a patrol in need of a nudge, etc.). Perhaps being in charge of all the troop guides, or planning your camp outs (supervising that part of PLC) would work.

yis, jim

When I was a JASM when I was a boy. Kinda like being a 'professor emeritus' of Scouts: honorable position, but sends a message (to some) that the JASM is on his way out, that he is heading to 'retirement village.' As a Scoutmaster, you can change that. Give him a steady job to do, similar to an ASM. Give him some extra, short-term assignments, sometimes in charge of other boys. Make it special for him.