Great ideas! I've been teaching junior leadership for our troop and would also like to "spice it up". I like Eagle74's idea of using videos.

OGE:

Where do you find the 11 leadership skills in the Scoutmasters junior leadership training kit? I understand the 11 skills are or have been a part of Woodbadge. I think I own every resource our scout shop sells and I haven't found this one. Is there a new leadership traing kit to go with the new PL and SPL handbooks? Shouldn't there be a kit that talks about the four leadership styles: Telling, Coaching, Persuading, and Delegating?

YIS

Scoutdad

Scoutdad,

The 11 leadership skills are presented in the council-level JLTC, which is the youth counter-part to Woodbadge (or is that vice-versa?). I'm not sure if they occur anywhere else in Scouting literature, but you can find several web sites that discuss them at http://www.scouter.com/compass/Training/Junior_Leader(JLT)/

*note: You'll have to type that link in because of the (JLT). Following the link won't work. Or you can just surf around Scouter till you find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest you have your older scouts conduct the JLT for your troop. They will get more out of it and be a fine role model for the younger scouts.

One other suggestion is to hold a joint JLT with another scout troop--this helps get a lot of ideas and enthusiasm. We have been doing this format for the last 5 years and it is well received by all. We create our own syllabus and do not use the JLT Training Resources from BSA.

Greg Anthony

Scoutmaster, Troop 19

Nashua, NH

www.troop19.org

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Awesome thread. I'll had a few ideas, but most of the best has been said.

We have used a "full day" approach, which was well received and enjoyable, but is hard to schedule -- we had a ski trip planned for a weekend, and then I realized that the boys had the Friday out of school for some reason. so I got those interested (every boy is a leader or needs to be!) and we went to the cabin one day early so we had a full day of training before the rest of the troop arrived Friday night.

Our council has a JLTC (JLT camp, one week, just like summercamp, only all boy run and JLT themed). That helps, but you still need a Troop level program.

No one else has commented that I saw, so I'll bite the bullet and answer the bible question. Unless your troop is sponsored by a church, and you ARE SURE that all your scouts believe the same stuff (preferrably the same church) I'd skip the bible. The boy scouts do not sponsor or endorse any religion.

In my troop I have 2 muslims, 1 hindu, half a dozen jews, and christians. Among the christians, I have catholics, methodists, baptists, episcopaleans (SP) and universalists.

The same points can be made with your theme without endorsing a religion, and will be more powerful without either the distraction or controversy (as the case may be).

good luck, yis

I am working on putting together a JLT for a Troop I work with. I am willing to share the agends, and notes I have typed up so far. They are all in WordPerfect. If you would like a copy let me know via email so that I can attach the files (currently there are 3) and send it to you. Or if there is enough requests I will put it online for you to download. Let me know which way is generally perfered.

InsaneScouter

http://insanescouter.com

webmaster@insanescouter.org

• 3 months later...

Okay, we did our "new" Troop JLT last Saturday. Basically, I ripped a powerpoint slide format from the NLE CD-ROM, and built the JLT slides on it. The lessons basically followed the chapters in the SPL Handbook and PL Handbook. They don't overlap 100%, but they're close enough that the SPL/ASPL and the PLs/APLs were "relevant" the whole way through. The slides' notes referred the Scouts to the applicable pages in their handbooks so they could follow along.

BTW, we invite the assistants, too. And, the troop springs for SPL/PL handbooks, personal copies, for all attendees.

For end of lesson activities, I tried to keep it practical. I did use a few of them from the old TJLT book, such as the "trust fall". I also used the progressive ball toss-in (don't know if that's the actual name) exercise they did to us at WB, to drive a reflection afterward. Other activities: I paired them off to inspect each others' uniforms using the BSA uniform inspection checklist; they got together in small groups to fill in the contact information in their SPL/PL handbooks; they split into PL/APL teams to assemble our new dining fly canopies; they prepared sample campout duty rosters.

I used video clips, too: Remember the Titans, Lean on Me, Bridge on the River Kwai. Would have used more, but don't have access to many of the movies other posters mentioned. The video clip integration was a little rough; I was going back and forth between the powerpoint and the dvd player on the computer. If I'm going to do a lot of this in the future, I'd like to burn the video clips from the dvds right into the appropriate slides. I guess you need a dvd burner for that, and that's a ways off for me.

Pizza for lunch, and three gallons of bug juice. All in all, I think it went well, and in our reflection afterward, the Scouts who have been through both thought this one was more practical and got them into their handbooks, the lunch was better, they didn't miss "my friend the potato", some of the lessons could have been shorter (agreed), with more opportunities to get up and stretch (agreed here, too).

I guess we'll see over the next several months how well it sunk in...

KS

It sounds great. We started about the same way several years ago and eventually developed two JLTs, a Patrol Leaders Development and a short Leader Specific training. We do a Patrol leaders Development course once a year for any scout who wants to be a leader in the PLC. This is very much like yours and is planned and ran by the older scouts. The only requirement for this course is firstclass rank and the scouts only take it once.

Our other course is a three hour course we do after each election. Every one in the PLC is required to attend. The first hour is a review of the leadership positions and the responsibilities that go with them. The second hour is with their counselor where they discuss the socuts responsibilities and set at least three goals that usually work toward the SPL's goals. The third hour is a PLC meeting and time where the SM and SPL speak on leadership. Lately our SM has asked the adults to attend this part of the training to explain Aims and Methods and who is responsibile for them.

The advantage of the the three hour course is scouts don't mind repeating the course because it's short, they learn new skills required for their job and they usually have a lockin after.

I really enjoyed your post KS. Sounds like a great troop.

Barry

• 2 years later...