Patrol Flags & Yells

Times that I have witnessed patrol yells:

- After the patrol receives an award or recognition/acknowledgement as a patrol.

- After the patrol completes an event, for example at a camporee competition.

- After the patrol goes through a uniform inpection.

- Any time the patrol just feels like it (in a cave, on a cliff, in a canyon or ravine, anywhere there is a good echo, etc.).

Lead by the patrol Cheermaster or Patrol Leader, usually it is expressed as a triumphant SHOUT!

Falls under the categories of Scout Spirit and Patrol Spirit.

Gets pretty interesting to see the patrols try to outdo each other.

(This message has been edited by Compass)(This message has been edited by Compass)

Patrol Flags:

- Are designed by the patrol; everybody contributes some idea or part to the flag and its pole. Uniqueness is encouraged. (This is the first step of the members feeling 'ownership' and pride in their patrol.)

- Tend to go everywhere the patrol goes.

- Carry the ribbon awards or other trinkets that the patrol receives.

- Can be used in troop ceremonies, such as Courts of Honor.

- Can be incorporated in the patrol yell: everyone puts their hand on the flag/pole, 1-2-3-(throw up their hands)-YELL!

- Can be retired to a place of honor when the patrol ceases to exist, and be used in future Court of Honor displays.

I have given patrols a leather thong to go with their flag. Beads of different sizes, shapes, and colors are awarded to patrols by me or the SPL; the patrol then slides the bead onto this thong.

I have, at times, braided small lanyards or other devices to award to a patrol, which is intended to go on the patrol flag pole.

A wood burning tool or pocketknife can be used to inscribe meaningful events and/or dates on the pole.

The pole can be made a certain length to assist the patrol in measuring the height of tall objects. It can be inscribed with inches and feet for smaller objects.

• 2 weeks later...

When the SPL calls "Troop, Fall-in!", he knows which patrol is present and ready when he hears their yell.

This is great competition and motivation for the PL to get his Scouts going. Oh...and it's boy-led motivation!

(PS the parents LOVE it!)

One of the things I like to emphasize is that patrol flags dont have to be patrol flags, they can be patrol standards. At the National Jamboree my son was in the Golden Eagle Patrol. He took a 21 incg long Eagle, the kind you see over door ways, painted it a high gloss gold metallic, used full round "rope" trim, also gold and hung the Eagle from it with silver chains in the Roman tradition, Hanging underneath the Eagle was a frame with his patrols information.

Currently he is in the Pyro patrol, their patrol yell is More Wood!!! More Wood !!! Their patrol standard is a six foot seciton of PVC painted black that a novelty torch (has a orange light, a fan and linen strips) that when turned on does a pretty good job of looking like a lit torch. Certainly got the scouts attention. They tuen it on when announcing the Patrol report.

• 4 weeks later...

Similar to the patrol standard idea, my patrol is knows as the "Lost Hubcaps" Our standard is...a hubcap, on a pole. We found the hubcap on a patrol hike, we have an intense sense of ownership for it and it always stands out at camporee. Just another idea.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...