Former Life Scout now a Wolf den leader

Hello,

I am a former Life Scout and Brotherhood OA member that has been away from scouting for about 25 years. I have 3 boys that are now all Cub Scout age and was hoping that they would be interested. Well, a flyer came home a couple of weeks ago and the boys wanted to give it a try. The pack had 2 tiger cubs when we went to our first meeting. After my boys talking to their friends and me talking to some of the other fathers, we now have about 15 boys. It is a good mix of tiger and wolf scouts. Much to the delight of my oldest son I have been asked to lead the wolf den. I think I may be more excited than they are. I have been doing as much research as I can about planning my meetings and have received some help from the new to scouting forum already. I look forward to my new endeavor and am very glad that I found this site. I am glad that there seem to be so many folks out there willing to lend a hand. I guess that I shouldn't be surprised though, as that is what scouting is all about. Thanks.

Good show, old bean,welcome to the electronic campfire, where all will be revealed. Pull up a virtual log and sit a spell.

Cubs are the most fun, I think. Remember to communicate, communicate. Call, email, but call! Personal contact to the adults is best, always; email for reminders, but don't be surprised if you get no response by emailing "I need a volunteer" .Don't be bashful about reminding the adults in the boys' lifes that the boy will only be 7, or 8, or 9, ( or 10! ) once. Make the most of it!

Make a list of all the family resources, mom and pop jobs and interests. Then see if someone knows someone to get a tour of the plant/park/museum/base. Include the boys in a (Lions/Kiwanis/Rotary/AmericanLegion/etc.)club outing or color guard duty. When the time comes, Cub Scout Day Camp is a must. Be careful! You just might end up being Staff at CSDC!

Get them out on hikes and conservation service projects. There's no more energetic group than a willing Cub Den or Pack. Make sure your Charter Org knows about you (we hope it is not a "hands off" CO) and offer to help anywhere the CO can use you.

And don't forget the Cub Mantra: ((close eyes and repeat))

"KISMIF, KISMIF, KISMIF!"

(that's keep it simple, make it fun!)