rank requirement for SPL

Is there and offical BSA rank requirement for the SPL, ASPL and Patrol Leaders?

I know many troops will set a rank. Who in the troop sets this requirement?

Also, can Star scouts and higher sign off requirements for lower ranking Boy Scout?

Pepper,

Since troops are run by the patrol Leaders Council it should be their option as to whether they want to set conditions on the election of the SPL, and what those conditions should be.

The ASPL, according to the Boy Scout Handbook and the SPL Handbook is selected by the SPL.

The answer to who can test advancement is in the SM Handbook and the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual.

Bob White

In our troop, the PLC - the boys - established who signs-off handbooks. Adults are allowed to, when need arises, but all skills-related stuff is more often signed-off by scouts who are 1st-Class and above. Believe me, that motivates the younger scouts - they want that authority. And the older scouts, w/o being a lynch mob, police the newer 1st-class scouts to make sure they're holding applicants to the letter of the requirement.

With respect to SPL, our troop's policy - established by the PLC - is Life. The exact rank isn't so important as that the boys made the decision.

For patrol leader, we've no hard-and-fast rank requirements (that I remember, but then, I'm just an adult.) Oddly enough, the boys tend to elect the most qualified or deserving patrol member most of the time. (Which suggests that democracy isn't necessarily as looney an idea as it sometimes seems.)