New Scout Patrols

Dan wrote: "Could you not have used the older scouts as troop guides for the new patrols instead of making them the Patrol Leaders? A troop guide IMHO would allow more leader ship for the older scouts and give the new scouts experience in leading and being lead."

Our troop has three troop guides, 2 FC, and 1 Life Scout.

New Scout Program is not law. It's a set of guidelines. Just because we are not going by a few of the guideline doesn't mean the program is going to fail. We are tailoring it the needs of all the boys.

Sorry to disappoint you folks that don't agree (any that's fine in my book), But we are sticking with what we are doing, because IT IS WORKING.

Enough of my ramblings.

YIS

purcelce

Your reply only raises more questions for me.

Why do you need 3 troop guides, is all of the other important leadership roles filled, historian, chaplain, etc? With that small of a troop, make sure you have the important leadership position filled.

Did the Patrol Leader really pick the patrol name and yell for the patrol, how does this fit in with the idea that a patrol is a team?

Failing, that word was not used by me, but since you brought it up, I do not believe just because a troop survives does not mean it did not fail. Tailoring is something you do with a suit and not the BSA program.

I was not disappointed until I read your last post. I gave a couple of suggestion, and it seemed that you took it as a slam.

Or did I read to much into your post?(This message has been edited by dan)

Dan, my apologies, after a little thought I did read too much into your post.

So you answer your questions.

Reasoning for the three troop guides is for our older boys to pass on what they know to our newer Scouts. Our feelings are that other leadership positions are will be filled by our newer scouts later down the road (plan is after summer camp). Also will be losing our current SPL and one of PL (brothers) due to moving out of the area. So more than likely one of our troop guides might be elected to the SPL slot, thus leaving each patrol with a troop guide.

Pls did come up with names and yell. One patrol is the Lighting Bolts (yell "Lighting Strikes") and other patrol is the flaming Toilet Paper (still working on yell, "The Nana-Nana Boo-boo were Statues" yell didn't set well with the SM). We urged the kids to stick with "traditional names" but that's what they wanted. How does this fit with the patrol as a team? PLs and APL are the architects of their new team. They're just waiting for their new teammates.

But to top it off the boys are having fun, learning the patrol method (which was lacking 6 months ago) and are enthusiastic about Scouts. One of our new troop guides who was a quasi-invisible scout has even applied for staff at summer camp, not to mention showing up for meetings more often.

March is a big month for us. We are having a BSA 101/JLT campout in three weeks, COH at the end of the month, plus an eagle project in between.

This is a big turnaround from what the troop was this time last year.

BTW Dan are you and your folks headed to the Illini Jamboree in Rantoul this year? Says on profile your in IL. Would love to meet you and have a cup of coffee on us.

YIS

purcelce

purcelce

thank you, it is sometimes hard to tell the tone of the written word.

When is the Jamboree, is it at the air force base, is the air force base still there?

I am located in St. Charles, a few miles from Rantoul.