Patrol activities

To get my son's interest in scouting back up, I'm want to make some suggestions for his patrol. All the boys in the patrol are first year scouts with the exception of one. None are first class, so anything they do still needs to have adult supervision. There is no specific ASM assigned to them, but lots of adults around who would help.

What are some things that you have seen work for a patrol to do on their own? I want to offer some ideas to the boys. I don't think any realize they could do things with just their patrol. I don't think they would have any idea where to start.

My son did seem interested in a having a patrol meeting to make a patrol flag (something none of the patrols have). Some of my thoughts are: local campout, day hike, cycling, roller skating, ice skating, a service project, work on a merit badge together, work on the Second Class and First Class requirements.

I want them to see that they can do these things without waiting for the troop to do them. They will not have the older boys around (which sometimes bothers them). I think my son is getting overwhelmed with 20 to 30 boys at every activity. And to let them know the patrol can do a service project NOW, they don't have to wait until they are working on their Eagle project!

My thought is to give them some examples, then have each boy tell one thing he would like the patrol to do. Then they could vote on which to do first.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Sctmom,

A good question to get the juices flowing in the morning. Everything you mentioned is great. I would recommend that until they complete first class that you have adults give shadow leadership of hikes and campouts. Otherwise you are right on the money as far as patrol activities. Get the boys get involved in choosing the activities of course.

You will discover that patrols who do things away from the troop form tighter bonds, advance faster, do things boys like to do, and have better attendance at troop activities than other patrols.

So go for it. Keep the promise we make to the scouts in the opening pages of the handbook.

Happy Scouting

Bob White

sctmom, I think the best thing you could do is to register as the new scout patrol ASM (and what troop would refuse another registered leader?). School's started for you, so you should have training available, but don't wait! Jump in now! I know how much you want your son to enjoy and succeed in Scouting!

In my son's troop, the NSPASM (try saying that three times fast :) ) put together a plan where he grouped similar TF, 2C & 1C activities (ie knots), and offered them at several non-consecutive troop meetings/campouts. Most scouts are now 2C, or almost there. His philosophy seems to be: gently prod them for six months, then start to ease off so that by the end of one year, they're self-directed.

As far as boring troop meetings, well, it sounds like you need alternatives for the NSP. Suggest several easy MBs like leatherwork or basketry (meritbadge.com is fantastic!) and have them pick one to work on as a patrol. And go on some solo patrol excursions. Yes, it almost sounds like Webelos 3, but you know, that's what NSP and FCFY are! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

There were a few troop guides but they didn't really know what to do. They seem to "forget" they are troop guides and just ignore the younger boys. Most of the "older" boys are 13 or 14. I don't think they had troop guides, so they have never seen one in action. The older (15/16 yrs old) troop guide gets frustrated very easily and doesn't attend a lot of meetings and campouts.