Question for Ed Mori

Ed,

Since your troop seems to use the integrated approach to patrol makeup (i.e. mixed ages and abilities) i thought i'd ask you for your input into an issue that came up last night and some questions i have.

1.Troop JLT Campout on the calander for this weekend - has been there since I joined the troop in early March. ( i think it's been there all year)

2.Scout responsible for putting this campout together absent from the meeting last night due to school play conflict

3.Only 5 kids were able to go (three new scouts, one Life and one 1st Class).

4. 1st campsite selected we got bounced from last month, alternate bounced us two weeks ago, and we got a third lined up and confirmed. - we rescheduled for next weekend.

So many questions.....

A. How do we (adult leaders) make sure that the campouts happen if the Patrol Leader in charge of getting everything done falls through?

B. What do the new kids that could go this weekend do if they can't go next weekend when the thing is rescheduled?

C. Is "managing an effective meeting" course given to PL's, SPL's, etc. at JLTC as a standard course?

D.Short of the leaders taking over a campout at the last minute, how can parents ensure that the kids get to go camping.

Thanks

YIS

Quixote(This message has been edited by Quixote)

A. How do we (adult leaders) make sure that the campouts happen if the Patrol Leader in charge of getting everything done falls through?

> 2 deep leadership. Always have a 2nd Scout to assist the Patrol Leader.

B. What do the new kids that could go this weekend do if they can't go next weekend when the thing is rescheduled?

>They would miss the trip. I have always felt you need to stick to the plan even if the plan changes. Not everyone will be able to go on all the trips. I would try to schedule another trip that would focus on the skills the new guys need & work the dates around their schedules.

C. Is "managing an effective meeting" course given to PL's, SPL's, etc. at JLTC as a standard course?

> Bob White would be better to answer this one.

D.Short of the leaders taking over a campout at the last minute, how can parents ensure that the kids get to go camping.

> If need be, the leaders might have to take over. I would stress to the parents the importance of the camping trips to the development & advencement of their son's in the program. I would also ask the parents to make every effort to get their kids to the campouts.

Communication can be a problem. In my Troop, we have gone to posting all information on our web site. For those who don't have access, the details are mailed to the house. There are still times when I get "I didn't know" or "My son never told me". I don't think this will ever go away. It has diminished quite a bit, though.

I hope this answers your questions.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

In answer to your point C., "managing an effiective meeting", such things are part of JLTC, in a model PLC and Troop meeting, Effective Leadership, Effective Communications and Controlling the Group.

In course I was Scoutmaster for, these were the sessions that cover that area. There is not a seperate session in the slyabus on that topic.

The new Patrol Leaders handbook chapter 4 is titled Leading the Patrol M eeting. It includes Planning the Meeting, The Patrol Meeting Agenda, Making Assignments, and Checking Advancement Progress.

Bob White