So I am considering doing the staff thing again at the 2013 Jamboree. I was just wondering what airport would be best to fly into? The cost of flying from San Francisco to Beckley is like $560+. That's more than the staff fee. Does anyone over in that area know of a better airport to fly into?

I just saw a flight into Charleston for $476. That's a bit better.(This message has been edited by sailingpj)

With staff, they will usually recommend 2-3 airports and have transportation (at an additional cost) from them. So if you're flying, those are what I would look at.

I just have no idea what airports they are planning on using.

Charlston is a nice little (relatively!) airport. They chopped a nearby mountaintop off and paved the result... You don't so much fly into as onto it.

I would imagine that will be the airport of choice. Bus shuttle service and all.

• 6 months later...

From the staff guide:

In addition to providing transportation for

the troops arriving at the Summit, TMS has

a special program for our staff and volunteers.

TMS will be offering shuttle service to and

from Charlotte Douglas International Airport

as well as Yeager Airport in Charleston,

West Virginia. You will be able to reserve a

seat through the TMS website for a nominal

fee (TBD) for the round-trip transfer. We will

operate on the following dates and times:

Arrival dates and times: (all times are EDT)

July 12, 8 a.m.6 p.m. (Last bus departs the

airports at 6 p.m.)

July 13, 8 a.m.6 p.m. (Last bus departs the

airports at 6 p.m.)

July 14, 8 a.m.4 p.m. (Last bus departs the

airports at 4 p.m.)

Departure dates and times: (all times are EDT)

July 25, 2 a.m.3 p.m. (Last bus departs the

Summit at 3 p.m.)

July 26, 2 a.m.3 p.m. (Last bus departs the

Summit at 3 p.m.)

Transportation to the Summit via train is

discouraged at this time due to road conditions

to and from the train station. If you must travel

by train, be sure to make clear your arrival

station when you contact TMS.

All space is limited, so please book your

reservation with TMS once your flight

details have been finalized.

For all questions regarding shuttle services for

staff from surrounding locations to the Summit,

please contact TMS directly at 800-437-7629,

or email questions to jamboree@tms.com.

You may also visit the TMS website at www.

tms.com/2013Jamboree for a list of frequently

asked questions.

Depends on who you fly, and how much of a drive you want to deal with.

The major airports in the area are Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham.

Secondary airports, Charleston, Winston-Salem, Roanoke ... you've be riding turboprops to most of these.

For the E-ticket ride, I think Beckley, WV is it. I seem to recall my Mom flying through there...lots of locked brakes and engine revving to take off from there.

Don't be fooled by "crows flight" distances. Roanoke is an extra hour (or more) drive away than is Charleston.

For those of you with time to kill (?), a flight into Morgantown and a drive down Rte 19 through the mountains is usually pleasant. (Not like the Rockies, but something to see if your are a geologist. Civil engineers: the pull-off on the north end of New River Bridge is worthwhile.)

I suspect the folks at WVU would be happy to give potential students a tour of the main campus on your leg there or back. On the other hand, they may already be setting up a booth at Jambo!

• 1 month later...

What a Shame that with all the Money being Spent on the Summit that they couldn't make arrangements for a Train Station there...After All This is a Lifetime investment with 10's of Thousands of People coming on a Regular Basis. I believe for awhile that it will be the "High Adventure Base" to attend for sure..

Philmont may be bigger put last I remember they don't have White Water Rafting..Ziplines..BMX Bike..A Huge Brige Suspended over a Valley. And for Most Scouter more Centrally Located.

And Ain't the Summit in bidding for a World Jambo also?

Now that would be an Experience..Travel to the Summit on an Amtrak Train to and from base camp

An Amtrack station was mentioned in the original plans for the site. An Amtrack mainline into DC runs through the bottom of the gorge, parallel to the river. Of course we dont' now when in the grand scheme of things it will be built.

• 6 months later...

I ended up deciding to fly to Charlotte instead of into Charleston, WV. TMS offers shuttles from both airports. The ticket was about $250 less expensive to fly into Charlotte instead of Charleston. Yep, I paid more for the TMS shuttle, but still came out ahead dollars-wise. Also, I would have had to have gotten up earlier to fly from Chicago to Charleston vs. Chicago to Charlotte. So... longer day, more money to fly into WV. I'm not exactly looking forward to the 3-4 hour drive from Charlotte, but figured I'd just bring a book and let somebody else worry about about the driving. I did give some thought to taking Amtrak into Prince, WV, but the Amtrak gods weren't on my side. The train from Chicago departs every other day. I need to be there on July 11th. The train departs Chicago on either the 9th or the 11th - meaning it arrives at 10:00a in Prince on the 10th or 12th. So... flying for $300. I'm still $200 or so ahead of the options.

• 4 weeks later...
I ended up deciding to fly to Charlotte instead of into Charleston' date=' WV. TMS offers shuttles from both airports. The ticket was about $250 less expensive to fly into Charlotte instead of Charleston. Yep, I paid more for the TMS shuttle, but still came out ahead dollars-wise. Also, I would have had to have gotten up earlier to fly from Chicago to Charleston vs. Chicago to Charlotte. So... longer day, more money to fly into WV. I'm not exactly looking forward to the 3-4 hour drive from Charlotte, but figured I'd just bring a book and let somebody else worry about about the driving. I did give some thought to taking Amtrak into Prince, WV, but the Amtrak gods weren't on my side. The train from Chicago departs every other day. I need to be there on July 11th. The train departs Chicago on either the 9th or the 11th - meaning it arrives at 10:00a in Prince on the 10th or 12th. So... flying for $300. I'm still $200 or so ahead of the options.[/quote']

I had the same deal. About $250 less flying into Charlotte than Charleston. I'm starting from Phoenix and guarantee I'll be very tired the 11th when I arrive.