100% Program Award Rocker Segment

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then where was the exclusion? I mean, it's not that big of a deal, but if the intention was for youth only, that should have been communicated clearly in the materials and transmitted clearly to the powers-that-be on the ground before and during the Jamboree. In the guide book, and in Central Region, it wasn't.

And it would be a lot better if the publications and information provided for the Scouts actually reflected the program on the ground, not only for things like TOAP not being there, but also for the fact that a youngster who wanted to earn all the rockers had to either hope he was one of the lucky few in his troop to get a Mysterium Compass ticket, or go waste a huge amount of time waiting in line for a standby spot to get into the show. Kind of misguided to make one of the rockers a very limited ticketed event, and also not to have said rocker in any of the publications until it was mentioned in the Jamboree Today newspaper. I hope there were Scoutmasters who were willing to give a kid without a Mysterium ticket credit for at least making it to the Vault.

Regardless of whether or not you could earn the patches, though, the rocker program is a great way to pace yourself to see the Jamboree. It was definitely helpful for me.

Well it's not like these things are required for Eagle....

However I agree there were some major gaps in the leaders' guide. I think it was probably published sooner than possible. It was available, when?, before the first of the year? At minimum a supplement should have been produced. Heck, it was online. Updates wouldn't have been that tough. For example the menu and food prep guide would have been a doggone handy thing to have had at shakedown so we could have trained on it. But the fact that it wasn't distributed until the first food pick up Monday afternoon should tell you when it was printed.

Back to the rockers ... I really don't think it's that big a deal. You earned them and want to wear them? Go for it. Largely due to the screw-up with the Mysterium Compass (and that was a BIG screw up) we gave all six rockers to all our Scouts. We told them if they earned them, wear them; otherwise consider them souveniers. We got real clear signals (BIG winks) from our commissioners and subcamp program staff that we should be very liberal in distributing the rockers.

Well I certainly did my part in giving the segments out quite freely and it irks me to think that now I have to recollect the 100% rockers so I can redistribute them to my fellow adult leaders. Unfortunately my commissioner was very convincing, he told me the decision to give out only a dozen of the 100% rockers per troop was based on the experience of few youth earning them in past years. It didn't sound like something he made up on his walk to my campsite, but I know there is an overabundance of people out there who boldly present whatever they think up as fact.

I can't believe that national BSA put nothing in writing for us to reference, that is as they say "dropping the ball."

I don't know what it was at the other staff subcamps, but at Mahone some of the actual menu items differed from the posted menu. I know for a fact that we never had chocolate chip or strawberry pancakes. There were also a couple breakfasts where we had SOS, but that was not on the menu either. Some of the dinner items were a little different too, but I don't remember specifically which ones.

I will say this though, despite being mass produced, most of the food was pretty good. It was definitely better than I expected. The only real food complaint was the kiosk dinner for the arena show night. There was less food there than at lunch, it was just a bag of chips, a pudding cup, a juice pocket, and a couple pieces of candy.

sailing,

I do know our staff in subcamp 21 had steak one night....unless they were pulling my leg. The patrol menu wasn't all that bad, it iwas just vey kid friendly...as it should be. By about the fifth day I would have killed for a salad. You can only eat just so many hamburgers, hotdogs, tacos, chicken strips and pizza over a 15 day period.

I agree on the arena dinner. It was inferior to the lunches. Are you sure you didn't have a hole in your bag? Ours had chips, pudding cup, fruit cup, drink, candy and two packages of cheese and crackers. I was less than impressed. If you noticed, the lunches were darn near frozen and they suggested you eat them within 30 minutes of gettting it. I believe they went more non-perishable for the arena dinner.

Here's an idea. Just park a boat load of refrigerated trailers down at the entrances to the arena and pass them out as the folks walk in.

Yeah, the salad bar was awesome.

I had just forgotten about the other stuff in the arena dinner bag.

Other than the drink being frozen I didn't mind the cold lunches. We usually sent one person down to the kiosk with everyone's tags to pick up the lunches for the booth. By the time they got back everything else was just right.

Yes, the menus were posted long ago, but the preparation instructions were not. Most of the stuff was heat and serve, but the best method was not always apparent. Some boil-n-bags, so heated in a pot, etc. We had a couple runied meals and frequently went to a lot of extra work before convincing all the patrols that reading the preparation instructions was mandatory. All could have been avoided if the full guide -- not just the menus -- were available at shakedown.

Hey, menu guys, feel free to move your menu discussion to a new thread...

Back to the program award segment, in addition to Mantooth's observation that 3 of the 100% segments look good around the Jambo patch now I see an auction on eBay where someone is selling 3 of them together with the assertion the official story is to sew them all on. I suppose that would explain why we were given 12 of them, but why 3 segments that are all the same instead of a single ring or 3 segments with different designs and maybe different requirements to wear? Again I sure would like to see something in writing from National to make this official. Has anyone seen any official info on this?