What Did Jamboree Cost in Your Council

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our trip was $1400 and included bus transportation (>500 miles), jamboree fee, tents (the jambo committee threw in with the council and bought canvas wall tents which will now be used at summer camp), one 10x20 canopy per patrol, patrol kitchens including nice stoves and the recommended set of cooking gear, a folding dining table, two nice t-shirts, and three council patches and troop numerals per Scout.

In addition, my sons' troop (and I think most others) collected $100 per Scout for misc. stuff through the troop including gateway materials, materials to build benches, one additional t-shirt, custom troop and patrol patches, a two battery laterns per patrol, and lots of little miscellaneous stuff.

Our council did away with side trips to DC several years ago. Our guys are close enough that most and have already done the nickel tour of Washington.

I figure another $250 per kid for an extra uniform, additional gear, extra patches for trading and the obligatory souveniers.

Also So Calif - $3000.

This paid for: charter bus to and from LAX (hour and a half plus drive), airfare both ways, guided five days of sightseeing (Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Valley Forge, Williamsburg, Washington D.C., Mt Vernon, Monticello, Arlington National Cemetery) Jambo of course, with equipment (duffle, backpack, three t-shirts, two kerchiefs, two hats, patches, custom luggage tags etc.) plus an additional day in D.C. at the Holocaust Museum and one other place before flying back.

Cots were optional for a little more, the tents I think will be used for other Council events(?) and we had to cover the costs of extra class A's, and other clothes, but we got discount pricing through the Jambo catalogue.

It was expensive, only one troop of thirty-six scouts went from our council's two counties, but those boys had a trip of a lifetime! The Scouters who went were top-notch, too - the nicest most trustworthy folks you could imagine. No complaints here - except the unavoidable steamy weather...worth every dime. I am glad we were able to pay over time in installments.

Cradle of Liberty Council cost was $1,295, and included: Jambo fee, coach bus transportation, 2 Centennial uniform shirts, 2 Centennial uniform pants, 2 pair Scout socks, 1 web belt & buckle, 1 hat, 1 daypack, 1 duffle bag, 2 council t-shirts, 1 set Jambo shoulder loops, 2 JSPs, 2 Jambo troop patches, 2 world crests with Jambo circle patches, 2 Jambo participant patches, 2 patrol patches, 1 Jambo nameplate, 1 messkit, 1 waterbottle. Council also provided each Jambo troop with new tents, tables, dining flys, and cooking gear (stoves, pots/pans, cooking utensils).

I have to admit being surprised at how much stuff was provided.

For those who say that their council provided tents, flys, etc., are you sure? To my knowledge, our fee covered the cost of those items. In the past, we used BSA canvas wall tents and the council kicked in on them and then used them for summer camp. But we went with dome tents this year and as far as I know, our fee covered their cost. These were pre-sold to troops and individuals for when we got back. I could be wrong though.

Our stoves, stove stands, battery lanterns, patrol boxes with pots, pans and cooking utensils get stored and reused for each Jamboree.

Good point, Beaver. Our council bought new (dome) tents for jambo. While I don't know what the jambo budget did/did not cover, I suppose that the cost of the tents was included in the jambo fee. The boys also had the option of buying their tents for $50 at the end of jambo. I'm told that most of the tents were sold in this manner. Even though that meant a boy probably paid (part of the cost) for the tent two times - in the jambo fee and then the extra $50 - it still wasn't that bad a deal. Since they had 2 men in each tent, the tent cost included in the jambo fee probably only covered half the actual cost of each tent, perhaps $75. Add in the $50 to take the tent home at the end of jambo, and that's in the ballpark of what a boy would pay to buy the tent new, on his own.

Of course, the tent budgeting is guesswork on my part since I've not seen the actual breakdown of jambo fees (and I'm just not going to lose sleep over it at this point, either).

From West Central Florida it was $1950. Fee included airfare roundtrip to DC, hotels and food prior to Jamboree arrival, charter bus to WV and rafting on the New River. It also included the costs of the shake down weekends and some gear. The youth and adults were each given a dufflebag, backpack, hat and other schwag.

My Council typically builds in monies to buy new canvas wall tents. The tents go into the summer camp materials. We elected to use canvas we already owned to save the Scouts some money on the Jamboree fee. It seemed prudent with the economy and the cost to attend Jamboree skyrocketing. It may hurt the summer camp program a year or two down the road. Patrol equipment is stored at camp and used strictly for Jamborees.

I do know we came in under budget. Just how much, I'm not sure and probably never will. It will be interesting to see if any of that makes its way back to the participants. There is some overhead to a council and it is fair for that to be budgeted in, but........things like a Jamboree shouldn't be a revenue stream for a council.

Seattle...$3500, jambo bags (4), hats,neckers,3 tshirts,3 sets uniform patches, shakedown weekend, roundtrip air,ac touring coaches, jambo fees, .5 day Philly, .5 day Gburg, 4 days DC, kings dominion, busch gardens, all meals and hotels. Same gear deal with the presale deal. $250 uniforms and hot weather gear,$100 troop non fundraising, $200 spending money...Scout had a good time. Even got me a patch!

Seattle...$3500, jambo bags (4), hats,neckers,3 tshirts,3 sets uniform patches, shakedown weekend, roundtrip air,ac touring coaches, jambo fees, .5 day Philly, .5 day Gburg, 4 days DC, kings dominion, busch gardens, all meals and hotels. Same gear deal with the presale deal. $250 uniforms and hot weather gear,$100 troop non fundraising, $200 spending money...Scout had a good time. Even got me a patch!

These $2000 - $3000 contingent fees - these are for all the people? or did each individual attendee pay these fees?

I apologize if this is a "stupid" question. I just have never looked into actually attending Jambo.

craig

That's per person.

My council was $1500 for both scouts and adults. Round trip by bus, 2 days/1 night in DC, a duffel bag, a few t-shirts, maybe a few patches. Shakedown campouts were extra, I believe. Tents and equipment were sold off at cost to council troops at the end.