• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The patch trading does indeed get out of hand, and it is insane how many patches some councils make. My council usually has only 3 patches for Jambo. Two JSPs of different border colors (one limited to participants and in limited quantities, and one sold to anyone in the council until they run out) and the patrol patch (which we use the one with all four patrols on it, and whichever is turned up is the patrol the Scout is in). Our lodge has only produced a Jambo flap once, when I was lodge chief in 2005. I guess it didn't go over so well as they didn't do one for this Jambo. In 2005, it was a one piece deal, no restrictions, only one style. For NOAC, we do a restricted two piece, and an unrestricted two piece.

So, when I go to national events and see the insane amount of patches out there, it amazes me. I think when councils do that type of thing, and make the huge sets and elaborate patches, they help facilitate the monster that patch trading has become. If I like a patch, I will trade with someone. I will always do one-for-one though, and don't care about the set. I just do it for the interaction and because it looks neat. I am glad to say that is the vast majority of the kids in our council. The patch trading bug has hit very few in this area.

As for ebay Member karmund527 (with 4 POD sets for sale), I'd be careful buying from them:

1. Never sold before;

2. Only 1 feedback, for an item purchased in November 2009;

3. No activity on account for last 8 months; and

4. Suddenly selling multiple high priced and popular itrems.

Probably does not have 4 sets of PODs, probably does not have any of these patches as appears to be a hijacked account. The scam artists know what sells and is popular, and 2010 Jambo items are a target.

ebay motto: If it sounds to good to be true, do not bid!

My son got caught up in the patch trading bit and the patch of the day.

He was in line everyday for the patch of the day by 8am.

I agree there should have been 2010 at each trading post with a limit of one. Then somewhat unique, but not extreme

I detest the fact somebody is already selling the set. It's almost worth my ebay account to let it get run up high and welch on him.

I was in line on Sunday and somebody in my son's troop asked me to get him a duplicate. I like the boy very much, but simply told him, "Some kid is standing back there hoping he is going to get one, I'm not going to break his heart so you can have two."

My son came away with some Red Sox/Boston/Ironsides Patches from The Minuteman Council. (Fill in shameless plug for CAMP Sayre here---STAY AT CAMP SAYRE WHEN GOING TO BOSTON!!!!!). He got a multi patch back patch from Long Island near the Grumman Plant. It had the A 10 A6 and other assorted jets. The X men CSP's were very nice. Finally some with Snoopy. All nice stuff. I had no idea about the restrictions on commercial stuff even with permission.

I was hoping he came away with some names and emails from some kids from far away but no dice. I would like him to be able to say he knows some Scout in Alaska and California.

I'd like to see what TROGERS said implemented. Some kind of catalog site so the boys know what to look for and what council has what.

Somebody spoke of rockers my son focused his energy there but was mistaken about how many activities you had to do to qualify. Oh well he just did more stuff that's all. He did not earn one maerit badge but had fun throwing a hachet.

Our council has Silver Bay on Lake George--site of the first BSA campout in America. We also have the home of the song Yankee Doodle. We have the battle of Saratoga. Most of all we have the home of Uncle Sam(he was born in Conn. ),but he became Uncle Sam here . Ft Ticonderoga is also in our Council

It would have been great to see a multi patch with all that on it.

I don't know how much history kids really learn these days or how important it is to them.

My son got caught up in the patch trading bit and the patch of the day.

He was in line everyday for the patch of the day by 8am.

I agree there should have been 2010 at each trading post with a limit of one. Then somewhat unique, but not extreme

I detest the fact somebody is already selling the set. It's almost worth my ebay account to let it get run up high and welch on him.

I was in line on Sunday and somebody in my son's troop asked me to get him a duplicate. I like the boy very much, but simply told him, "Some kid is standing back there hoping he is going to get one, I'm not going to break his heart so you can have two."

My son came away with some Red Sox/Boston/Ironsides Patches from The Minuteman Council. (Fill in shameless plug for CAMP Sayre here---STAY AT CAMP SAYRE WHEN GOING TO BOSTON!!!!!). He got a multi patch back patch from Long Island near the Grumman Plant. It had the A 10 A6 and other assorted jets. The X men CSP's were very nice. Finally some with Snoopy. All nice stuff. I had no idea about the restrictions on commercial stuff even with permission.

I was hoping he came away with some names and emails from some kids from far away but no dice. I would like him to be able to say he knows some Scout in Alaska and California.

I'd like to see what TROGERS said implemented. Some kind of catalog site so the boys know what to look for and what council has what.

Somebody spoke of rockers my son focused his energy there but was mistaken about how many activities you had to do to qualify. Oh well he just did more stuff that's all. He did not earn one maerit badge but had fun throwing a hachet.

Our council has Silver Bay on Lake George--site of the first BSA campout in America. We also have the home of the song Yankee Doodle. We have the battle of Saratoga. Most of all we have the home of Uncle Sam(he was born in Conn. ),but he became Uncle Sam here . Ft Ticonderoga is also in our Council

It would have been great to see a multi patch with all that on it.

I don't know how much history kids really learn these days or how important it is to them.

" Lines at the Trading Posts were reaching blocks long by the 8AM hour. And, yes, they were all adults."

We were walking by trading post C one morning at like 0730 (someone in our tent had set their alarm wrong) and there was already a line at least half a block long, and the people at front looked like they had been there for at least an hour already. It was crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that BSA has heard people's complaints. They are now selling he Patch of the day set online. It is $49.99 for the set, and you have to buy the entire set. They are also selling a couple other things from the Jamboree, like the belt buckle, the belt, a shirt, and a hat.

sailingpj:

Where are they selling the Jambo belt buckle? My son wanted one (to match his dad's 1981 version), and each time they were sold out. Once he watched a guy scoop up every one of them into two buckets. My son asked if he could buy just one of them, the guys said no.

Guess how I feel about HIS Scout Spirit. Grrrr.

As for the POD - my son's Jambo Scoutleader told all boys in the Troop not to do it. His message was that so much time would spent in line instead of with early morning patrol and Jambo activities that it would not be worth it.

My son spent 3 days traveling through all of the camps trading patches and pins, and then spent the rest of the time earning all of the rockers.

You can only order if you were a participant, as you need your Jambo number, as well as logging into Scoutstuff. Hopefully, this will put the brakes on the nonsense on eBay, at least for these. There are a few other restricted, or limited items in demand there, such as the Mike Rowe patch, which only ran $3 in the trading post. Guess I should have grabbed the last few there, instead of just one. Also, the fancy embroidered rounds, and the triangle are popular. I never saw the triangle at all, but did get the jacket and shirt versions of the round.

Hope they learned a lesson from this.

Bando

"Frankly, I don't understand why visitors are so rampantly allowed into an event we all pay out the nose to go to, even if they can't participate in all the activities, but that's just me."

Well, My son and I were visitors to the Jamboree and my son had a blast.

I did not care for it but was glad my son enjoyed the time there. I think visitors are important because my son is case in point. On our ride home he said that he wants to go to the 2013 Jamboree for the whole event.

I just hope that I have the money to send him.

Oh, and as a visitor I had to pay $20 to get into the event with my son and that is a lot of money for an unemployeed person to spend.

Mark M.