Obama not speaking in person at Jambo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if someone does not agree with the politician or his/her views and politics it's the office of The President and the person serving in that position that the participants want to see or hear from. President Obama did a recorded message that was positive and timely for the Scouts and Scouters in attendance at the show. A few rain drops did not dampen the spirits of those in the audience. Mike Rowe was a hit with a terrific message and the fireworks were spectacular. Posted just after returning from the arena shoe.

Extremely disappointed in the large number of Scouts and Scouters who loudly booed the message, and even more disappointed that the organizing powers that be placed the message 15 minutes before the show began.

As Scouts we promise to be courteous, to do our duty to our country. All involved failed miserably tonight. I don't care who it is or how you feel about him. You do not boo the president. Period. Especially while wearing a Scout uniform. And the message of the Honorary President of our organization merits more than lull filler, even after Wednesday. It's been such a wonderful Jamboree full of kids trying new things and making new friends. This was an ugly moment and I wasn't the only person in that arena who thought so.

I did hear some boos.

At best the applause was lukewarm. Kids hear what their parents are saying. The opinions kids have for the most part come from their parents. Granted some kids truly form their own opinion.

Pollsters often poll kids before elections. They are very accurate when it comes to election day. That is not a coincidence.

I seem to remember food and garbage thrown at the presidential limo on Inauguration day a few years back I don't remember a public outcry then. My Scouts thought Mr. Bush was a moron because mommy and daddy said so.

I personally kept quiet during Mr. Obama's speech and after.

As for the Scouts booing look at the environment they have been raised in. My boy is 15 1/2, recent memory has not had either side behaving nicely.

I put a lot of time in making sure they can boo and not be arrested. Let's keep it that way.

Sherminator replied...

""It's like Maricopa County, Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio not showing up to speak at an ACLU convention."

As a Scouter who voted for this President and supports him, I really have to point out that this analogy is exceptionally flawed."

Gee, as someone who has voted for Sheriff Joe every time, and am a former member of the ACLU, not only to I not see your point, but since you offered nothing to clarify, I will discount your opinion out of hand.

I also have to agree: both sides have not acted courteously in the past 10 years. I still remember the Scouts getting booed at a Democratic convention. I remember the off color jokes I heard about a sitting president. And I can go on.

While we may disagree in politics, we MUST set the example to our youth. And it is getting harder to counter the negativity and discourtesy they are seeing in all facets of media.

We got an uphill battle to fight in reference to courtesy.

On another note, Mike Rowe was AWESOME! My 6 yo even liked his speech. MUST GET HIS SCOUT T_SHIRT ;)

To add my two cents I'd first like to say that there should be no place for politics in Scouting. I think that there is too much to learn and do then to waist it studding the parties.. those days will come soon enough for the boys. Although I didn't agree with what the Democratic party, the ACLU, and the Office of the President have been doing in reference to the BSA. I also don't agree with Adults openly specking ill of the Office of the President. I read Gov. Perry's book and found it a great read, and very informative about the political side of Scouting. And what groups like the ACLU, and many in the Political arena have been doing against the BSA. But at the same time there are many high up people who were Scouts and have earned the Eagle Rank who have shown how truly humble and great the BSA movement can be and is. Sec. Gates is a great example of just this. Like Sex, I feel that Politics should be left out of Scouting. I do agree with showing boys the way and the reasons why they should seek responsibilities in any future leadership weather it be in government, the military, sports, scouting or their community. Sure they listen to their parents, but I am not a member of the same political party as my parents. Nor have I ever voted the same way they do. Weather the President showed up or not isn't as important as the movement of the BSA. Weather he decided not to come due to politics or whatever, doesn't change the fact that he can only hurt himself amongst people for his decisions, not hurt the movement. I am more worried about other elements attacking the BSA. And those who think that the BSA should change when it comes to girls, gays, or whatever should leave if they don't like it. I spent 10 years of my life serving in the US Army, I used to do whatever was asked of me back then, now I can decide for myself. I don't like something, I don't do it. I've only been a part of the BSA for a total of 5 years. So I am new to the BSA, but I am not new to serving, and working with people. I remember when Clinton was President. Most of us serving didn't like his leadership, but we still got up every day and served. We still trained, and risked our lives daily. We were still Americans, Brothers in Arms. When Gore came to Bragg after the Operation Valient Dragon (Invasion of Haiti) we were there to great him. He called out all of the different units involved and who were there that day, but he forgot one, Ours. We booed him. And he deserved it, But he was the VP, and although we booed him for a mistake, we would have gladly gotten back on planes to jump into Haiti if he told us too. Point I'm making is Adults do your jobs, and help boys become men, and boys do your jobs, and grow into goo men. Forget the Politics, and forget what you can do nothing much about. If you don't like who's at the top, then make a difference when you vote. Not at Jambo.. there you should be having fun...

SB

So, does booing a speaker at an event such as this, President of the United States or not demonstrate - Trustworthy? Loyal? Helpful? Courteous? Kind? Obedient? Cheerful? Thrifty? Brave? Clean? Reverent? Duty to Country? Helping other people at all times?

Yes, sad and for those outside of the Scouting movement who would witness such a thing I could see how this would help recruit them as much as a pedofile priest would help folks convert to Catholicism.

"Gee, as someone who has voted for Sheriff Joe every time, and am a former member of the ACLU, not only to I not see your point, but since you offered nothing to clarify, I will discount your opinion out of hand."

OK. Since you have decided not to think like an engineer, let me lay out why your analogy is flawed:

1) Sheriff Joe is not the Honorary President of the ACLU. He has no official, ex-officio or other ties to that group.

2) I really think Sheriff Joe has much less in common with the ACLU than President Obama has with the BSA.

3) I think quite a few people would have liked to see President Obama speak at the Jamboree. Hence the thread.

Frankly, I would have expected more from an engineer!(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

Though I do not argue that there was booing, I did not hear it. What I did hear was a less than enthusiastic response.

Mike Rowe however, received an amazing ovation....mostly for the incredible message that he sent to the Scouts, Scouters and visitors. That was truly a memorable speach and I will not forget "Swing the Thing" for a long time.

The booing was an interesting phenomenon. As the video taped message started, ALL of the participants, staff and visitors stood in respect for the President. Only after he started to speak did the booing start. It was spontaneous, loud, and heard from all corners of the Arena.

The message was clear, "We respect you Mr. President, but we are profoundly insulted by your decision to stay away".

I voted for the guy, but I am now convinced that he has sealed his fate and will be looking for a new job in two years.

After I retrieved my Scout for the airport yesterday he brought up the booing before we even got out of the parking lot at the airport. He said it was all over and that he was shocked by it. When I asked him if he did he said he did not and netiher did anyone that had a sense of respect. His exact words were "you don't boo the Commander-in-Chief". He also said that "even if you don't like the man he is still the President of the United States".

It makes me proud to hear him say that even though, sadly, it is not what he hears at home. I guess he taught Dad that he needs to be a better example.

While I don't agree with the choices this President makes he is still the President.

I think it is time to let this conversation die..... Just saying.