A friend checked in from Jambo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The contingent from the old Detroit Area Council (recently merged with Clinton Valley Council into the new Great Lakes Council) arrived in Washington DC this morning for a visit on the way to Jambo.

Everyone met in a parking lot at Ford Motor Company Headquarters last night and we were promptly greeted by a tornado warning. We spent an hour in the Ford headquarters waiting out the warning, but the buses left more or less on time. I am sure the boys spent a quiet night sleeping on the bus (we all know better than that, don't we?).

I am leaving Monday morning for a quick trip down there for a two day visit Wednesday and Thursday. Can't wait for the extreme heat and maybe some rain. Have to dig through my collection of patches for some traders.

Ken

My Boy left this morning.

One kid in his Troop left his required picture ID in Maine of all places. I started to hear how indignant the boy was to the Jambo SM and had to walk away. Sure hope they let him in, sure hope the OVERNIGHT FEDEX man finds him somewhere on the planet, they have been harping on the photo ID requirement for months.

I live about 15 minutes from the Bethlehem man who was arrested for tackling a kid that was wilding his house. What in the world are kids thinking?

We've been assured that photo IDs are not required of the Scouts, only the adults. They've asked the troop to have digital photos of all the boys (to print on milk cartons and wanted posters, I assume), but not necessarily actual IDs.

I am, however, dreading Monday morning.

Wi-Fi and my Sprint phone working great at the Hill. I haven't heard any horror stories about staff check in yet. Seems to be very quick and friendly. Ticks are reportedly bad and the heat is unbelievable, but Monday is supposed to be cooler as is much of next week. I wouldn't overdo the pre-hydration, but make sure the kids have their water bottles or whatever. There are drinking fountains in a lot of places in the central area, but not further out.

Yep, wifi works but is getting slow and tempermental. Expecting it will be difficult or unusable when the masses arrive. Ticks are quite bad. Safety is a HUGE priority with frequent drills and audio announcements, which are nearly unintelligible. Major plans in place to ensure hydration and safe arena show mobilization. Water is available everywhere you look. Get to the trading post asap, they're getting sparse already.

Trading Post is getting sparse already.

You mean all this Chinese made crap with the Jambo logo is going to be scarfed up by a bunch of adults before my kid even gets there?

Why would you even bring that stuff out before the kids got there?

Because the staff is made up of volunteers that "deserve" to buy the crap first?

Agreed. My sonis planning on buying most of his souvenirs when he gets there. I know they had the opportunity to buy from the catalog, but I think it means more to him if he gets stuff on-site.

I will be very upset if the trading post is essentially empty when he gets there. I will be even more upset when I see everything on Ebay for triple price. I know some is already there!

Ken

Trading Post is sparse? And I'm not even getting there fore another week!

One can hope there is rationing going on. Or maybe it's time to part with some ebay sourced Jambo stuff from other years so I can trade for a Jamboree visitor patch. BTW, is there a Jambo necker? I've looked on the net but no joy.

Cell phone reception was mentioned, but not my carrier, how are UsCellular phones doing?

My limited experience with two trading posts has been that they run out of stuff and send you to another tp or tell you to come back. There were a couple of patches that were sold only Friday (so they say). There are two kinds of neckers for sale.

It's nothing new. They were

out of jacket patches yesterday, mugs, probably now out of belt buckles, random things here and there. Who knows I'd they're rationing anything, the staff doesn't know anything. Most of it is utter Chinese made crap anyway.

Staff arena show was cancelled tonight at first whiff of a storm that never came. Thanks.

I've been in DC this weekend and it's absolutely full of scouts! All I've seen were on best behaviour - thank goodness.

Parade today was awesome!!

Can't wait to get out to Jambo on Wed!!