New Tiger Cub den leader.

After attending a Pack meeting last weekend with my son, somehow I've now volunteered to be den leader for a new Tiger Cub den.

It's somewhat overwhelming since I've never been a Scout and wasn't too sure what to expect. I've spent the last 48 hours doing all the pertinent online courses, going through the Tiger Cub and Cub Scout Leader books. I certainly have a much better idea now what scouting is about and a bit of what it isn't.

One thing that discouraged me and my son was just how little camping Cub Scouts do. This past summer while backpacking in Yosemite we talked about how much fun it would be to be in Scouts so he could share similar experiences with friends his age. Turns out no den campouts until Webelos and probably no backpacking until well into the Boy Scout years.

On the other hand I was very encouraged by way Scouting approaches leadership development- going from the boy/parent teams in Tiger Cubs up to the advisory role played by Varsity Scout adult leaders.

Jim

Long Beach, CA

Tiger, Wolf and Bear Cub Scouts can camp, just not as a single den. I would guess that most boys entering Cub Scouts have never camped, much less backpacked. Your son is very lucky!

If you want to encourage your Pack to do Pack Family Campouts you should consider taking B(asic) A(dult) L(eader) O(utdoor) O(rientation) Training. As the trained BALOO leader in your Pack, you can plan and conduct Pack campouts.

Check the training calendar on your local Council web site for BALOO training along with Cub Scout Leader Specific training.

Have FUN and remember -

TIGERS ARE G-R-R-R-R-R-E-A-T !!!

Welcome to the Rodeo!

If your pack doesn't family camp, get the BALOO training so they can. And, since most Tigers aren't ready for full on backpacking, what about a few hikes in local parks to somewhere interesting with lunch in thier school backpacks? I also took my Daisies on two mile long scavenger hunts along our wooded walking path in the neighborhood. Yosemite? No. But, they were just as excited to count all the different animal tracks on the edge of a 6 inch stream.

Welcome! I also agree that you should take BALOO and plan a Pack camping trip. You could make one of the activities a Nature hike to get the boys used to the idea of hiking. By the time your son is a Webelos, a 3 mile hike is one of the options for his Outdoorsman Pin.

If you haven't seen this chart, here is the age-appropriate guidelines for Scouting.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/ageguides.pdf It comes in handy.

Baloo training it is... Unfortunately the LB District won't be offering it until April. The Pack has at least one, possibly more with Baloo so if I can convince him/them to commit to more camping dates then we can schedule a few more Pack campouts. There is one next week and another planned for April.

I think one every-other month would be a good start.

Welcome to the forum!

Like your son, I started camping when I was young (4 years old). I never got beyond Bear in Cub Scouts (4 years) and 2nd Class in Boy Scouts (4 years). One of the biggest problems I had as a child in the scouting program was the lack of trained adult leadership. Like your son, by the time I got half way through Cubs I had racked up more camping, outdoor cooking, and hiking than most Eagle Scouts of today. Even as I sit here today, I have camped 3 out of the past 4 weekends. My boys can't keep up with me. But I make the opportunity available.

As SM and CA, I have all the training from Cub Basics up to Wood Badge. Along with your boy, take the time to train and grow gradually. It'll be a good experience for both of you. Your boy has the potential to help the other boys get excited about what he already knows, but remember, they lack the opportunity and experience. Here's where you come in.

Welcome to the adventure of a lifetime.

Stosh

First, welcome to the forums, and kudos for taking the time and effort to learn more about the program. If all new cub scouts leaders were to put in the initial effort you have, Scouting would be 10x what is now and closer to realizing it's true potential.

It is unfortunate that your council does not offer BALOO any earlier than April, but you are in a unique position, being in the LA basin. There are 4 other councils within a stone's throw of you and you can easily take the courses they offer. Look into the Los Angeles Area Council, Western Los Angeles County Council, Ventura County Council and/or Orange County Council. Years ago, I lived in Anaheim, but was active in the Long Beach Council (as a Sea Explorer).

Jim,

Welcome to the boards. Since you re so close to several council's I'ld keep looking at their calendar's for not only training, but also camping opportunities. Lots of council's will put on one or two family campouts throughout the year.

As for the amount of gear that families bring, I can second that. My council had their second Family Campout this weekend, and we had folks bring everything except the kitchen sink! I also second the once a quarter recommendation with cubs, and I am use to campig every month.

Good luck and let the good times roll.

Welcome to the Forums. It is good to see a leader that is interested in the outdoor experience.

Look over the requirements for the Tigers. There are a lot of things to do. When it comes to camping, look for quality camping trips. THere are a lot of new Belt Loops that are coming out and there will be a lot of fun in them.

Camping is a great activity. Get the training as described before. With the approval of the Pack Committee and your other leadership, plan a campout and help to get the pack camping again. Maybe there has just been no one that felt comfortable camping. You may just be the leader that they are looking for.

Have fun with your time as a leader.

It's looking up. Our first meeting had 4 boys- I think they had a great time. Another boy was sick but his mom and dad both seem interested- I haven't met him. A parent stepped up to host next month's meetings.

I'm going to BALOO training in our neighbor council (Orange County) tomorrow. I think our Cubmaster will be open to more Pack family camps if he doesn't have to do all the work.

We have three boys and dads going to the Long Beach fall Cub-O-Ree next Friday.

I think next year's Tiger leader has already stepped up.

Good times!

Jim