Preparing for Chafe and body fungus

Interesting discussion on Scouts-L regarding how to avoid, or lessen the moisture related problems such as body fungi and heavy perspiration. Seems pretty much accepted that a good body powder, such as Gold Bond or cornstarch based brands are a good idea. Also, it is highly recommended that boxers, rather than briefs be worn, to allow more air circulation and lessen chaffing. Various types of fungal gels are discussed. I have discovered that diaper rash creme works very well on under arm and groin rashes.

Other suggestions as we prep for the event?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the Nam, we used Hypo (photo chemicals - sodium hypo-thiosulfate) to treat fungal infections. Much better then the meds being handed out which required liver tests every few months....however, there are some fungal infections that can only be controlled, but never eliminated. Once you get one of those, it's with you for ever...

twocubs.....spit my coffee all over the key board.

I mistakenly did exactly that one morning while dressing for work grabbed the wrong powder.......didn't think anything of it for a few minutes then OHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I like poly boxer breifs for backpacking, don't hold water. I bought some on clearance at REI and they were fantastic. I here that under armour boxer briefs are pretty good too, all be it expensive.

Invest in synthetic skivvies that wick moisture and dry quickly. I took them in 2005 and have used them ever since. They are worth their weight in gold. If your Jambo committee folks have not decided on t-shirts yet, try talking them into getting the same kind of shirts.

The material I'm talking about are 100% polyester, but look and feel like cotton. Our council bought 100% cotton back in 2005 to save a few bucks and heavy sweaters like me staed wet from sunup to sundown.

Here is what I bought in 2005 and I'm still using them in 2010. They don't deteriorate like cotton does.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0058232981023a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=men%27s+underwear&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&No=36&Ne=3&nyr=1&Ntt=men%27s+underwear&N=6263&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

If the link doesn't work, go to Cabelas and search for MTP Performance Boxer.

Yeahhhh, about that daily wash......it gets difficult. Showers for the youth are temp open topped buildings made of 2x4's and black visqueen. For every kid under a showerhead, there are 10 or more waiting. Showering becomes a lengthy hassle. Twelve year olds are already nervous about walking around naked amongst the 16 and 17 year olds. Add to that the unscoutlike behavior of older guys pulling young kids out of a shower so they can use it or pulling stunts like throwing another kids clothes over the top and outside and you have a recipe for NO washing. Due to YP, adults can't police the showers. We ended up having to send our older boys to the showers with the younger boys to protect them so they could get a few showers in while they were there.

I know, I know.....it shouldn't go on at a Boy Scout event, but it does. That was the reality on the ground in our sub-camp back in 2005 at least.

SR540Beaver

What sub camp were you in?

We never had any such problems.

nrp1488 This might sound like a good idea, but there are a lot of ticks around Fort AP Hill. Unsprayed areas are marked, but sometimes it takes more than a sign to keep a Scout out!

When preparing the Scouts for the Jambo I made a point of telling them to check for ticks. This would be really hard if they kept their swimsuits on.

One sub camp at the 2005 Jambo was trying out a new Shower Trailer, kinda like the ones that the staff used. I'm not sure how it worked out or if they are going to make them available this year?

To be honest even with the heat in 2005, our guys didn't seem to have a problem. They did take at least one shower a day. A couple used to try and sneak off at bedtime which meant that when the SPL did the late night check, he was none too happy.

I had brought a lifetime supply of toilet tissues with me, which one of the ASM's made available. Nothing worse than going to do the paper work and then finding that there is none or that it's soaking wet.

Sweating is the natural way for the body to cool. We need to tell the Scouts that while antiperspirants under the arms is OK. They need not go crazy with it.

I tried the Under Armour underwear and really didn't like it.

When some of our guys heard that a Troop from Connecticut had some female Scouts from Poland camping with them, they doused themselves in Ax aftershave and paid a visit. The smell was over-powering! But I of course used the opportunity to pull their legs!

Ea.

Official Centennial Jamboree Absorbine Jr....

Official Centennial Jamboree Gold Bond ...

Official Centennial Jamboree Ivory Soap,

Official Centennial Jamboree UA,

Official Centennial Jamboree Desitin,

Official Centennial Jamboree Terracil,

Official Centennial Jamboree Tinea cruris...