Our troop was planning to go to jamboree for three days as visitors and camp at a nearby KOA campground. However, I have read in a few council newsletters I found on the internet that National has a policy that visiting units can only attend jamboree one day and that units are not allowed to camp within 50 miles of AP Hill and tour permits will be rejected for units attempting to do so.

Anyone have any insight to these rules and whether going to jamboree as visitors as a unit is a good idea and/or worthwhile?

I'm part of our council contigent and the only thing we've been told to communicate on this subjetc is that vistors will only be allowed to visit the static displays and one of the arena shows (I forget which one). They will not be allowed to participate in any of the activities (shooting, climbing, scuba, biking, etc).

Mike is correct, visitation really is aimed at the VIP's, adults or family members who want to visit a participant or group. A group of boys will get restless and like it was said will not be able to participate in any activities, better off going to regular camp or high adventure base. As an adult I visited the 05 Jambo and got to spend some time with my crew members there, I enjoyed it, but a group of boys? It would be like taking them to Disneyland and telling them they could only look in but not go on any rides.

In the past Councils and Regions wouldn't issue Tour Permits for units wanting to camp within a set limit around the Jamboree site. I think it was 50 Miles? But please don't quote me, as I'm not 100% on that one.

I haven't seen the rules for 2010, but I'm guessing they will be the same.

Eamonn.

NE region has put the word out that the 50 mile limit is going to be enforced this time also. Make the trip, spend a day at Jambo, then vist some of the other sites for the other days. Don't waste 3 days at Jambo visiting because like others said the boys will be bored.

• 2 months later...

Is there enough to be entertaining for a single day visit? My son's a Webelos, and I was thinking to make it part of a larger trip. (As in, a family camping vacation, a day at Jambo, DC, Mt Vernon, maybe Williamsburg or Busch Gardens)

Visiting for the day does not sound appealing. Most of your time will be spent parking, walking to and from parking, and fighting crowds, which will be huge. Also, not sure if shuttle buses will be available for visitors, or just paid attendees...do your homework first. Not MY cup of tea. But then, I live 20 miles from Busch Gardens, and don't go there, either. (Kings Dominion is a lot closer to AP Hill).

If you want to go to BG and Water Country USA, go to Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown first. They've completely redid J'town for the 1607 anniversary.

And if you go to DC, I found the Museum of the Native Aemrican bored my kids senseless. Go figure.

Ditto about "visiting" the NJsite. There will be stuff to see along the main mdway, but unless you wear the wristband, it might be embarrassing to stand in the line and not be let in the activities.

I did hear of some Scouts who "visited" only for the chance to patch trade...

Do a site search here for "visiting DC" Lots of collected tips about things to do, places to camp, good/cheap eats, etc.

I've read that the National Capitol Council is setting up a lot of stuff on the National Mall in DC during that time. Check out their website.

As noted, visitors can not participate in the Jamboree. They can check out the displays and such, go to the shows, but not participate. (only registered participants can participate). Also, you can't wear the Jamboree patch above the right pocket just for visiting. (they make a visitor patch, but it would be worn on the right pocket, like any other temporary insignia). Don't let your kids think they are 'going to the jamboree without being a paricipant' just by visiting.

"Also, you can't wear the Jamboree patch above the right pocket just for visiting."

well, there goes MY motivation. (I'm kidding. Some. Not 100% kidding, tho, lol)

But I am now persuaded that our vacation time would be better spent doing something else. Thanks!