A little birdie told me that.......................

Alot the the youth these days don't know who Wolfgang Puck is except that his pizza is in the freezer at the grocery store. While I commend that fact that these Chefs are helping, and if I were going to Jambo I'd would make it a point to stop by the merit badge, maybe National should have looked for someone that the boys would know. Mario Battalli, Guy Fenelli,Jacque Torres,Rick Bayless.

Not to sound snippy, but how does this help the 99% of BSA members who WON'T be able to go to Jambo? And how much is their appearance fee? (call me cynical...)

I believe it's Guy Fieri...I've never heard of Torres and Bayless...and I'm a Food Network junkie....and a Foodie!

Now if Giada or Rachael were showing up...

snip snip scoutldr, lol. You could say the same thing about jambo as well, after all its just a photo op and publicity shot for National isn't it?

I have been to the National Jamboree twice in my scouter career and loved it both times, it truly is a uniquely awesome experience. I agree with you about Giada and Rachael Ray, you could just see them in their tiny scout shirts and shorts telling the boys how to prepare a meal, the boys hormones raging, and the uniform police going crazy over improper wearing of the uniform, lol. Sounds like fun to me.

Scoutldr, You are right I did get Guys last name wrong. I used to work with a Fennilli and I always do that. I don't think this impacts the other 99% at all. Jambo is a big deal to most boys. How cool would it be to come home and show off that Merit Badge Card signed by Wolfgang Puck. If you were into the whole cooking thing as a career that would be something. Kind of like the rumor I heard that Spielberg did cinimatography a few Jambos ago.

I still think it's great that these guys are doing this.

BTW Jacque Torres is a Master Chocolatier

Rick Bayless does real Mexican in Chicago and was on the short list to be the new White House Chef if the current one left.

For that matter why didn't BSA get her to drive down for a day and do the requirement"careers in cooking"

How about a foil dinner or Dutch Oven Throwdown with Bobby Flay? Now we're talkin'...

Or an "Aluminum Chef" competition, judged by Cat Cora, Bobby Flay and Mario Batali!

It would be more impressive if the kids got to watch Wolfie's "Chefography" on the food network...talk about a "rags to riches" story of hard work and perseverance.

Or get Alton Brown.

He did an episode of Good Eats with Dutch Ovens, and apparently filmed an episode or two at one of the scout camps near Atlanta (sorry, don't know what episode).

More adults, than youth, will know the Food experts. However, any of them will be a treat. Nationally known figures get good exposure for Scouts.

Spielberg did Cinematography a few Jambos ago when the MB was first introduced. Of course, we will not see him there any more.

Maybe it will be a good opportunity for them to learn who these guys are... just because they haven't been in front of them to date, doesn't mean they won't appreciate later the experience of meeting and learning from them. My current SPL is going and he wants to be guess what a professional cook Ill be sure to pass this onto him.

I had no clue who Green Bar Bill was when I shook his hand at the 1981 Jamboree. But I sure did afterwards. So dont write off the benefits of the experience before it happens

Jack Smith

Scoutmaster, Troop 935

Buckeye Council, Ohio

I hope no one misunderstood me. I think this is a great idea. Actually I think there should be more of this kind of involvment. Get someone like Robert Rodreguiz to do cinematography. What about some of those paid guys on Capital hill doing Citizenship badges.

Most Scout only get one shot at Jambo. Make an impression.

When I volunteered in 05 we served dinner to Steve Fossett. I ran into him the next day in the mens room. He remembered me and had a great chat while walking back to his sub camp. There's a memory I'll have.