Centennial Jamboree budget

I was notified the cost for attending the 2010 Jamboree from our council (SW US) will be over $3k per person. No idea what this covers, but the airflight is at least covered. Having never gone to a Jamboree before, I'm curious if this is in line with the actual expenses, or is this some sort of fund raiser for the council, as well?

West Central Florida Council has charged $1500-1800 the last 2 Jamborees. It covers all the costs to attend Jamboree (national's fee, transportation, and touring). The Council typically charges the particpants for the tentage and the tentage is retained by the Council for summer camp use. The Council lost money on the 2005 Jamboree largely due to Scouts failing to pay their fees.

For 2010, the Jamboree committee, which I am a member, has decided to not purchase tents again. Summer camp and the camping committee has said that they have adequate canvas for summer camp. This reduces the cost $150-300 per Scout. We are also looking at reducing the touring and time to save cost as well as the "fluff" or "schwag" that is typically generated (patches, duffelbags, t-shirts, etc ad nauseum). Our target fee for the 2010 Jamboree is $1500.

I haven't really heard of Council's using the Jamboree as a fundraiser. I suppose the exception to that would be keeping the purchased equipment for the Council Camps.

The National Fee per leader or Scout is $795.

Additional Expenses: Transportation, Equipment, shake down outings, touring (transportation, lodging, admission fees, chaperons for hotel, tour guide), gateway construction, baggage, day packs, patches, t-shirts, etc.

My old Council used to buy new equipment (tents, stoves, etc.) and the Jambo Committee would try to sell it to Troops and Individuals prior to the contingent leaving to recoup some of the costs. Then whatever was unsold would be given to the Council Camps.

I would hope that Councils would take into consideration the economic situation and work on adding fundraisers and limiting the additional expenses. While the touring is a great opportunity for some kids who may never go to the Nation's Capital, it can be limited to save money. I'd also say cut out the things like a day at an amusement park or whitewater rafting. I think some Councils turn it into a grand trip and forget the real reason Scouts sign up to go to the Jamboree.

If you feel the fee is out of line, I'd encourage you to talk to your Jamboree Committee and ask for a breakdown- they should have a budget. Ask them about what they are doing to limit expenses and help Scouts raise funds. I've heard of Councils getting the gateways donated by local companies for some press exposure, fundraising shoulder patches, additional incentives for popcorn sale, Council Camperships, and Unit Camperships.

No on the fundraiser aspect. At the Last Frontier Council here in Oklahoma, the cost in 2005 was $1900. I attended as an ASM for one of our three council contingent troops. Every penny goes into the costs of the Jamboree, from the actual cost of Jambo to flights, DC tour buses, hotels and restaurants while touring to footlockers, day packs, duffle bags, water bottles, etc. That was the same cost as the 2001 Jambo for our council and we squeezed every penny we could to keep the cost the same from 2001 to 2005. With 2010, the cost has gone to $3000 in our council. The council will not keep a dime of that money.

Because the cost has jumped so high, I chose not to throw my hat in the ring for serving as adult leader this time since my son was going again. In our council, the participants are required to have three complete uniforms which adds an additional cost over the $3000.(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

Well, my son and I are signed up & paid a $300 deposit, but have not completed the online registration. My daughter, who will graduate HS in 2010, applied for Venturing staff, and has received her staff patch, but has not been officially been given her LOA (although she is listed on the staff jamboree website as having been assigned a position). I have no idea what it will cost for her to go on staff, but the $6k,for my son and myself, is more then I think my wife will support. Obviously, this will be a first time experience for both my kids, and I really hoped to be able to experience with them. The committee will not meet until the end of January, so the $3k figure is just that, with no breakdowns available until the committee can come up with one. I guess time will tell on this one.

My council is charging $1900 and I think that's with bus transport rather than plane tickets. Our guys will be doing a good bit of fund raising to offset the costs. Rather than sitting back and waiting, I think if I were you I'd find out who is on the council's jambo committee and contact a couple of them now with regard to your concerns. That way, when they meet in January, there's a greater chance that they will address your concerns as a group. Probably they would anyway ($3K is a LOT of money!) but hearing from dedicated scouters about just how much money is a potential barrier might spur them to take a deeper look at how they approach things, as well as to be sure they provide potential participants with lots of info up front about the cost breakdown.

Last Jamboree my teenage daughter went on staff and even though it wasn't very much to sign up to volunteer to help work by the time you added the airfare, special uniforms, extra expenses it still came to about $1000. But she said it was worth every penny. This time she wants to go as a day visitor and have her brother who will be the summer before his senior year go as a scout and not a staffer to get full experience out of it.I believe our web site said its $3000. plus air fare so its very pricey on my budget.

This is the last Jambo at Fort AP Hill. One of the added benefits of having it there is its close proximity to Washington DC and getting to tour there. That however is one of the major factors that drives the cost up. I'm hoping that the future location will be somewhere closer to the middle of the US with a cooler and drier climate like Colorado and participants come just to experience the Jambo. If costs continue to climb at the rate they have in the last 5 years, it will become out of reach of many scouts.

Our Council is charging $1500 at this point. Both the troops are filled, and we were just allotted a third troop. For 2005, our Council presold tents and equipment to troops to help recoop some of the costs. I haven't heard what their plans are for 2010. Our scouts are already set up on a payment plan and are already making installments.

As for fundraising, the Council has come out with a set of six patches just for Jambo. The Scouts can purchase two sets at half price. Adults pay full price foe a set, around $36, or $100 for a framed commemorative set. I hope they plan some other fundraisers, and don't just put all their eggs in one basket with a bunch of patches.

My son has covered his costs with Xmas and birthday money, as well as wages from working camp staff so far. I hope he keeps it up. I plan on applying for staff, which is $795 before incidentals.

Kahits,

Greetings!

You've already received a few good answers. I'll repeat what a fellow posters have already stated, but I've seen it in a few council Jamboree budget breakdowns over the years.

Beyond attendance and transportation cost. Some councils have purchase new canvas tents, cots, benches and dining flies, just for Jamboree.

But even more, much of the remaining cost is usually for a week long high adventure excursions and historic East Coast tours (all meals included still driving up the cost). Such as the Military Academy, white water rafting, rapelling, NYC Empire Tower & Statue of Liberty tour, USS Consitution "Old Ironsides" Boston Harbor and Naval Shipyard tour, the National Mall and all the memorials Washington DC, Philadelphia and the Liberty Bell.

All are "once in a lifetime" great tours and excursions. Although, they drive the cost up to what a family may budget for the annual vacation, not just another summer camp.

I didn't see it posted yet. But in the Jamboree literature, the council contingent troops are suppose to have one or two pre-jamboree experiences. To bond as a troop, and also to elect SPL, PLs, etc. These Pre Jamboree experiences (just for the Jamboree contingent) should also be included in the total cost.

It does seem if you are west of the Mississippi, primarly due to travel, the cost climbs significantly over the councils on the East Coast.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Greetings, C21,

Even the idea of going that far East from out West is going to be a transition. Coming from a place where the summers are dry and relatively cool, the humidity, heat, and precip. of the East shows how spoiled we are out here. Truthfully, as far as tours go, my son wants to visit as many civil war battle fields, as he can. I know he would appreciate the other historic places, but I can see where this can be a journey of competing landmarks, and the time and money to make it all happen. I admit to being spoiled by the weather of Northern NM, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I better get plugged into the committee that is going to put this together, so we don't have to give up our place to a growing group of alternates, who got caught by the relatively quick signup, for this 100th. It would be a shame to let that happen. I guess I had assumed the tours would be open to individual participants, and not something each contingent would have to arrange separately. But then, that would probably be a nightmare to try and coordinate at the time this would be happening, which shows how little I know about what a Jamboree is, let alone the 100th. It would seem the committee would want some kind of feedback from the participants who are going, to put this together, which would also include the overall cost.(This message has been edited by kahits)

kahits and Fellow Scouters,

Regarding the PreJamboree tours and excursions.

Yes.. It can be a monumental challenge, moving Troops of 40. Some councils send a few troops so that would be 40, 80, 120, or more Scouts and Scouters.

They plan and work on the agenda over a year out from Jamboree. For example, it would seem to run like precision clockwork; breakfast at a nice restuarant, white water rafting, lunch on the shores, tour a battle field in the afternoon, dinner at another restuarant, then sleep at a military academy. Then get up the next morning to hit a museum or historic site.

It really is a vacation. What might take a few families maybe 20 years to see all these sites and events, many Jamboree Scouters will experience a week before Jamboree.

Enjoy!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

"If costs continue to climb at the rate they have in the last 5 years, it will become out of reach of many scouts."

Too late. It's already out of reach for those of us who have lost half our net worth in the last year and are nearing retirement. Nobody I know has the wherewithal to spend that kind of money right now. In this heavily DOD-dependent area, we are wondering if we'll have jobs a year from now.

Our fee this time is tentatively $1350. I think it was $1200 in '05. Trying to hold cost down, the council has dropped the usual side trip would have added $5-600 to the costs.

I can't imagine that any council looks at jambo as a fundraiser, but they sure don't mind if the contingent leave money on the table. Last time out the amount left over in our council raised some eyebrows.

It's SOP in most, and I suppose all, councils to require any event -- jambo, camporees, day camps -- to budget a contingency fee which, if left unspent, ultimately goes to the council. Obviously, there is a need to make sure events don't lose money (I don't think we qualify for bailout money -- at least not yet) and the balance covers soft or overhead costs attributed to the events.

Having run a number of events like this (mainly day camp), I think it is important that the vounteers take care that events create neither a deficit or a windfall.