Got My Jambo Patch for Staff

My Staff patch came in yesterdays mail. Nice to have, but it seems strange that the letter commands me to wear (sew on me thinks) above the right pocket of my BSA uniform when not yet selected as an actual staff member. Perhaps this is part of a publicity or awareness campaign? But what if I'm not selected? Do I rip it off, or continue to wear it for years? Does paying the deposit (and thereby financially contributing to the overall effort) make me "Staff-like" enough to honestly wear a Staff patch? I wonder what percentage of us who receive the patch will not actually be selected as staff?

SMT224: This is just my take, but it seems unlikely they would be sending patches to people who will not be selected. Of course, some will drop out due to health, job, economic or other circumstances and should not wear their patch after that. I would think the "selectors" are just delaying formal appointment pending their decisions about assignment. Again, just a hunch. I would wear the patch (if I could, LOL) until somebody tells me I've be non-selected. It does seem like kind of an odd situation.

Kahuna-

But the problem is that several people have reported that they have received the staff patch, but have NOT yet been selected.

Further, if you read the letter included (obviously a generic form letter that everyone got), it speaks of the receipient getting a staff position soon, if not already. (don't have it with me to quote). Its clear from reading the letter, that the patches were sent to people who had submitted an application, paid their $100, but may not have gotten selected for staff.

As previously noted, you never got your first jamboree patch until you had been selected and made your first payment (the $100 deposit counts for this). You shouldn't wear the patch until you are officially on staff (or selected to be a participant). All very strange.

several people have reported that they have received the staff patch, but have NOT yet been selected.

Yeah, but what I was saying is, I think they will be selected. I guess National could be on autopilot, but I'd rather think not. :)

• 2 months later...