still waiting to hear anything

Hello,

My son signed up online, got his forms together with SM signature and turned those in to council, and I paid the $100 deposit to our council back in June when the online registration first opened up.

Council cashed the check. Tradition in our council has been first come, first served in terms of who gets to go (provided they meet the basic requirements).

However, here it is late September and no one has heard word one yet from our council about youth (let alone adults) applying to attend. The only reason we knew about the whole process was thanks to you guys on this board. I've asked the council pro's about what their timelines for advertising and organizing, not to mention paying for, youth spots in the jambo troops. None of them know anything and the guy "in charge" dances around my questions.

I'm assuming at this point that my son probably has a spot but I have no verification of that. I don't know how much it is going to cost but I'm guesstimating $2000 (we live in the midwest so transportation will be a fairly hefty cost - in the past I believe they've chartered buses). I'm concerned that a slap-dash effort will be less than enjoyable to be part of, and I'm worrying about budgeting for the cost. I know other councils have their acts far more together. But then, Jambo is still close to two years off. How worried should I be?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say don't be worried right now.

From what I can tell in my area, the local council's haven't yet made any announcement regarding National Jamboree. While I would think they would be figuring out who will be the adult leaders, I've heard nothing. I think in most councils that's what's going on now.

I haven't heard of any push regarding getting youth signed up for Jamboree around here. Nor have I heard cost.

I would have thought that sometime in the fall, announcements of the adult leadership would be made, and maybe in the spring the big push to get youth signups would begin.

You council should at a minimum be able to tell you: when will you decide the adult leadership, and more importantly, when will you be deciding on youth participants, and how much will it cost and when will it be announced.

Lisabob,

FYI...here's a blurb on the Centenniel Jamboree from the current issue of Scouting Magazine. Please note the second-last paragraph particularly. Good luck.

Plan now for BSA's centennial jamboree. For an organization that turns 100 in 2010, the BSA still knows how to party.

Planned as "the best, most exciting, fun-filled, safest jamboree ever, according to John Alline, national jamboree director, the 2010 National Scout Jamboree will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts from July 26 to Aug. 4 at Fort A.P. Hill.

Located in the rolling hills of Virginia, close to Washington, D.C., the 76,000-acre facility has set aside 3,000 acres to support a city of 18,000 tents and 3,600 patrol kitchens that will house and feed about 43,000 Scouts and leaders.

Planned activities include scuba, kayaking, rafting, sailing, archery, and shooting, as well as a merit badge midway, an American Indian village, and a re-creation of Lord Robert Baden-Powells original Scout camp on Brownsea Island off the southern coast of England.

Scouts and Scouters can sign up for the 2010 jamboree by going to www.myscouting.org or www.bsajamboree.org. If you dont already have a MyScouting account, you must create one. After logging in, go to Event Reservations then Jamboree and choose the appropriate application link.

After completing an online application, pay the $10 nonrefundable processing fee with either a debit or credit card. Then print your confirmation, have it signed by your Scoutmaster, and take it to your local Scout council service center along with the required deposit. Contact your local council for the deposit amount.

Local councils will set the price for their jamboree contingents. Costs will include the jamboree fee, travel and tour expenses, meals, lodging, unit and patrol equipment, accident and illness insurance, and costs of pre-jamboree training.

Be aware that a confirmation of the applications receipt does not guarantee a spot in a council jamboree troop. Local councils make that determination, and each council can select only a certain number of Scouts and adult leaders.

Also, log on to the BSA jamboree Web site to learn details on Boy Scout and adult leader requirements that can qualify you to join in the festivities. Expect periodic Web site updates, so check it often.

Thanks Ohio_Scouter. I know that's the policy, and that in the past my council has gone first come/first served. No one has been able to confirm (or deny) that they'll do the same this time, but past practice is a pretty good guide in the absence of any other info.

Now if they end up choosing to do something different this time, and if it means that my son doesn't get to go, that's one thing. He'd be disappointed as he will not be able to attend as a youth in the future. But you know, they took my $100 three months ago now, and if they don't intend to select my son, then I guess I'd kinda like to know about it and also have my deposit back! Looks like I just need to be patient some more though. Admittedly not always my biggest strength.

Lisa,

Who at ouncil did you talk with? I would be calling the FD or SE and asking what is happening. Maybe we are spoiled in our Council, but they had the adult leaders picked back last winter. The youth registration was started in March, at least at the Council level, and just filled up in August and has a waiting list. We just received a Council packet about registering Dan online two weels ago.

Lisabob,

I understand completely. Here's hoping that your council is more competent than some councils with which I'm familiar. Based on what you've written, though, I don't see much evidence yet.

It would be much easier to be more patient with councils if they were more trustworthy, helpful, friendly, courteous...

ASM915 - I talked with my DE, a DD, and the Program Director. Haven't yet gotten to the point of contacting the SE, probably won't for now either (don't want to ruin my son's chances of being selected!). Will be re-contacting the PD who is supposedly council's point man on this.

Lisa,

A wise council would be well on their way to organizing and promoting Jambo. Sadly, my council is in the same boat as yours. I was selected as a leader for 05. Back then, our cost was 1900. We had 4 troops and had to give 1 up because we couldn't fill it......and we worked our tails off recruiting. This time the estimated cost is 3000. I'm wondering if we can fill 3 troops.....especially since council is dragging their feet getting up and running. Kudos to those who have selected leaders. Our application cutoff was a week ago with interviews and selections still to occur. That means promotion and recruiting is still a ways off. Last time we did monthly payments of 100 for 18 months. As it stands now, I hope that those wanting to go are socking cash back for when council finally gets their act together. Who knows why some don't think ahead.

FWIW. I'm involved with a couple of councils.

Council #1. Nothing on their main website about Jamboree. Nothing in their on-line newsletter on Jamboree. There IS an page on their website which says the council has 4 troops, and had info on the cost. No announcement as to the leadership, but DO say that 5 patrols (of 16) are full. Full info on how to register but as yet no big push for it, tho there is a promo meeting in October. They did finally approve my staff application about a month ago.

Council #2. Someting on their main website about Jamboree (but you have to scroll down), and a quick blurb on the 4 Jamboree scoutmasters (but nothing on their assistants). They do have a council form and do give the cost for the Jamboree contingent. However, they seem to think that Venturers can signup for Jamboree (they can't. You must be registered in a troop or team to go). Nothing in latest council newsletter.

So hopefully that will give you some idea where I think most councils should be:

* cost should be set.

* adult leaders should have been picked.

* youth should start getting their apps in, and some should already be signed up.

I would think that a big push should begin soon, and really ramp up by the Spring.

Lisa,

I would at least start stashing away a nest egg to cover the cost. Our price as of now is $1500. You are only a few hours north os us. I would plan on $2000 - 2500. If that ends up on the high side, then he has some spending money. If he doesn't get chosen, then there is a nice nest egg for some other adventure.

LisaBob-

Detroit Area Council seems to be very organized for Jamboree. Troops and leadership have already been organized. We turned in my son's application about two weeks ago and quickly received confirmation. As soon as $100 was turned in we began receiving communications. We already have received payment coupons for the balance and our next step is to determine which troop he would like to be in. It's our first experience with Jamboree but at least for Detroit Area Council, the process seems to be well organized.

Hi Narraticong,

Yes I noticed that DAC has a lot of organizational info on their website, as have some other area councils. Nice... Did they give you guys a cost estimate yet? I'm guessing ours would be pretty close to the same.

I was involved with our Councils Jambo committee ASM915 referred to. I was an ASM in 2005 and we struggled the whole way through, had a couple open slots right up until before we left. This time, a few of us decided that wouldnt happen again and pushed our Program Director to get the ball rolling last fall. Our pros handled it so much better this time and with some great committee chairs in action, we went through a very orderly adult application process this past winter. Blasted over and over again the deadline for applications. We didnt want any appearances of good old boy selections, and wanted the best qualified leaders this time around. Announcement of their selection was made this spring to coincide with sign up promotions weekly at summer camp. We started before the on-line registration started and was handling it on our own through our council office. It went great and by the end of August both contingents were full. I have three boys going. We are hopeful that an application for a third unit will be granted, but not very optimistic. We are taking preorders for our fundraisers patches right now, and will be much ahead of the game from last time in so many aspects, it is exciting to watch. A lot of the stress we had in 05 will be gone this time around for the new leaders (two of which went in 05). We are estimating $1500 via bus drive from Canton, Ohio without too much extra sightseeing. But dont forget all the extra uniforms needed (maybe new ones!), trading patches, and other personal gear like bunks, trunks, spending money, etc easily hit $2200 to be safe.

I would say each council should be either well on their way by now, at worst need to get started asap. If your council is not, maybe you should offer to chair a committee to get things started? Usually Ive seen thats all it takes to get things going, people just want to see something starting and then theyre willing to jump on board and pitch in. I think theres a Jamboree -L list you can join to learn more, too. If you want to make sure your son is involved, get involved so you know what is going on.

Not aware of a Jamboree-L list this time around. There is a Yahoo Group, however (Nationalbsajamboree2010). Most people on it seem to be staffers or future staffers.

And there is the Jamboleader website: http://www.jamboleader.org/

A great source of info last time. (tho with National's Jamboree website this time, maybe they'll do it better themselves).