Blew my Chance for Jamboree 2010

Well this is my first chance to get to go to the Jamboree and was told today that I can not go since I am not a Scout Master.

Turns out I fill out an application as a Adult Leader and choose all positions so I would be happy to fill any position and found all they would only interview me for the top position so they are not going to interview me for any other positions.

I also can not edit my application to staff because it would not allow me to.

So I lost my chance even before the selection period.

Well, fishy or not, I just want others want to make sure they read the application before they click submit on the form.

Also when editing the form you can not change your position, so make sure you click on the position you qualify for otherwise you are stuck with the top choice.

If you click scoutmaster and first asst scoutmaster, you will only be interview for scoutmaster. You can not edit this on your form.

Edit only works with IE, Firefox gives you a blank page.

Any you can not get the chance to submit a new applicaiton even if you are willing to pay for this.

Most councils have been at this for over a year now I would ask if you are a late comer to the selection process? They may already have selected folks for the other positions. Each council determines the qualifications for each position; we've had ASMs without proper experience end up as SMs and it has been a problem.

I dont know anything about staff selection status, but would send an inquiry up the ladder to find out who you need to talk to about staff. Don't waste anymore time on the computer and get someone on the phone. They always need folks for staff!

I was on the phone with the Jamboree Committee person for my Council and he told me that I will be refused. He said he will look into it but he believe either way I would be refused. How do new leaders get experience if they are not given a chance?

When I heard about the Jamboree I started asking around at the Round tables. I was told that staff positions are harder to get in because they only look for people with Staff Jamboree experience. Do you believe this is true? I don't care what type of position I am in I just want to attend.

Never attended as a kid due to money but now I have the money I am too old to attend, lol..

Then you know more about how your council selects leaders than any of us do. Unfortunately politics can be a part of it, or at least it may appear that way to others. If you don't like how it was done, I suggest that you get involved and help be a part of it: find out what council committees are involved and join them. It's important to have qualified and dedicated leaders in the right roles for this trip. It's not a light committment, and can be a LOT of work.

Maybe 2010 is different, but in 2005 they were scrambling for adult staff members. Not sure what it takes or how the process works. PM me and I will put you in touch with someone that does.

Rumor has it this time that they are going to be more selective about staff. They has some people on 2005 that were not as fit as they should have been. Supposedly the physical/medical requirements will be simular to Philmonts. At least that is what is being portrayed on the Jambo-L.

Talk with your SE. He will have to sign off on approval for any staffers coming out of his Council. Good luck.

"I was on the phone with the Jamboree Committee person for my Council and he told me that I will be refused. He said he will look into it but he believe either way I would be refused. How do new leaders get experience if they are not given a chance?

When I heard about the Jamboree I started asking around at the Round tables. I was told that staff positions are harder to get in because they only look for people with Staff Jamboree experience. Do you believe this is true? I don't care what type of position I am in I just want to attend.

Never attended as a kid due to money but now I have the money I am too old to attend, lol.."

I had the same experience for a previous Jambo, rdcrisco. I contacted the Council guy (you know, the one who's been around 110 years and has 15 rows of squareknots). I had lots of vacation time to burn and said I was willing to do anything, even drive the garbage wagon. The response was "sorry, we have all the help we need." In my council, it seems the same people get selected time after time. How do I know? They're the ones who start wearing the new Jambo patch a year ahead of the event. The Good Ole Boys(and Girls) club is alive and well, it seems. Some of them will be sorely disappointed this time, if they choose to enforce the physical fitness requirement. Do the new centennial uniforms come in 4XL???

The bear said, "Most councils have been at this for over a year now". If that's true, they've sure been real quiet about it.

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

While I have not been part of anything to do with this Jambo.

I have heard that the on-line application process is having a few problems.

By this time nearly all the Troop Leader spots should be filled.

Some Councils have asked for extra spots (They want to add another Troop). This is the case with the Council I serve, they have asked for another Troop and if allowed will fill it with Scouts from our Council and the Council next door.

As yet they have to hear if another spot is available and of course have not selected leaders for this "Maybe" Troop.

If you have any type of skill that is needed or might be used in one of the Action Areas you might want to contact the person in charge of that area and see if he or she can be of help?

I'm almost sure that as the event gets closer a list of what Staff are needed where will become available.

There are a few Yahoo groups that are active and have lots of ideas.

Jerry Clark is a moderator on Merit Badge. com. He is the rappelling guy for the Action D area. He has a chat group on Yahoo. You might want to see what they are up to?

I kinda think that there is a way of re-submitting an application, you might want to talk to your Council Registrar.(It might mean paying your membership fee again!!)

No offense, but one does not gain experience by serving as leadership at a Jambo. Experienced leaders get selected as leadership for Jambo. Jambo is a large undertaking that requires leaders who alreay have a good deal of experience leading their troop back home. To put an inexperienced leader in a Jambo leader position would be doing a disservice to him. While there are certainly rules and guidelines for selecting staff, each council puts their own spin on it. I'm surprised if any council wouldn't entertain someones request to serve on staff. You then have to be "hired" by Jambo folks.

As far as the newer physical requirements, that is BSA treating a symptom rather than a root cause. You are living in a city (tent) at Jambo and not carrying a backpack up a mountian in high elevation. The health issues at the last Jambo had more to do with BSA going full speed ahead against the wishes of the base medical staff than it had to do with the condition of the participants. If the military suspends all activities to sit in the shade and drink water, how smart is it to march 40,000 people on blacktop on a black flag day?

Hi Beaver,

We all agree that mistakes were made back in 2005.

As of now I have no plans to attend the Jambo.

So I have not spent any real time looking at what the adult leadership /staff requirements are.

I'm not sure how to put this in a nice kind way. - So please forgive me if this comes off sounding a little harsh.

One problem I have seen with events like Jamborees is that a lot of adults want to attend because they want to be there.

I have seen Scouter's from the Council I serve apply who are past their "Sell By Date" guys who have attended lots of Jamborees and seem to think it's their right.

They do put themselves before the important people -The Scouts!

Then just to make matters worse some nit will write a big article in the Jambo newspaper about some old guy who is really old and hasn't missed a Jamboree since BP was there.

I was there in 2005.

We didn't have any real problems.

I did have one ASM who wasn't used to traveling by foot. I think I spent the best part of each day waiting for him to catch up with me.

OJ was a youth staff member back in 2005. He served in Action Center D working in the COPE area. He was in the shade all day (With the ticks!) I don't remember there being any long lines and it seemed to me that no one was rushing the Scouts on the course.

I did exchange words with one fellow who didn't want our Scouts to stop and refill their water bottles. He felt that we were holding up the line.

Needless to say the water bottles were refilled.

Most Scouts are used to being active and out and about.

The ASM I had was used to working in his office, car camping and parking his car as close to where he he is going as is humanly possible. He does have high blood pressure, eats all the wrong foods and is a heart attack waiting to happen.

But to be fair to him. He did make sure that he didn't over do things. Even if it meant I spent half my time waiting for him to catch up!

Ea.

Some of this sounds fishy to me.

Councils do not pick who will be on staff for the Jamboree. They mearly approve your application to be considered for staff. Staff selection will be done by National.

If you couldn't be one the troop leaders, I see no reason why your application couldn't be changed to staff. At this point, while most councils should have approved the applications for staff from their councils, not sure how fast regions have been approving things as well as National. I know of a few people who have already gotten their staff jobs.

"I contacted the Council guy (you know, the one who's been around 110 years and has 15 rows of squareknots). I had lots of vacation time to burn and said I was willing to do anything, even drive the garbage wagon. The response was "sorry, we have all the help we need." In my council, it seems the same people get selected time after time. How do I know? They're the ones who start wearing the new Jambo patch a year ahead of the event."

Sorry, WHO has all the help we need? Again, your council is not the decider for Jamboree staff positions, that's National. They should have approved your app and let the chips fall where they may.

Also, the Jamboree patch is sent out to registered staff and participants a year out. So there is nothing strange or unusual or elitist about wearing the Jamboree emblem in advance of the Jamboree. There is a reason they are sent out in advance...

I think someone may not be able to distinguish between "staff" and "Contingent Leader"

It is clear, that if you aplly for and are not chosen as a contingent leader, then you application can be assigned to the "staff" pool for assignment to a Jambo staff position at Jamboree.

E,

Your points are valid and well taken. Our council had a committee that interviewed contingent prospects. At least one person was a doctor. Being an insulin dependent diabetic who is rounder than I should be and with high blood pressure, I got a lot of questions thrown at me. My conditions were under very good control. Also, having been around for a while and being seen in action helped in getting selected. I agree that old timers who have been around forever or people in poor health should not be selected out of a good old boy network.

My council treats Jambo like Wood Badge by mixing leaders who have been to Jambo before with leaders who have not been. What they avoid is taking someone who has been an ASM or committee member for a very short time and making them a contingent troop SM. Experience counts. That was my point.

Wow, I filled out an on-line Staff Application on 2 SEP 08 and just recieved my "Letter of Appointment" today, 16 SEP 08. I'd consider that great when it comes to processing an application. Going to sign it tonight and get it back to National. I've been appointed as an archery safety officer/instructor for Southern Region. OBTW, that's what I asked to do and I have no "connections" at council.

I bet if you can still get selected for a staff job if you "actively" seek one out and have the right qualifications.(This message has been edited by Eagletrek)