will the "old" uniform be "allowed" at the Jambo

Official uniforms are always official uniforms. The old uniform will never stop being an official uniform.

I am sure that National would prefer that scouts have the current uniform for use at the jamboree. As its 2 years away, am sure most scouts will have at least one by that time.

I know when I went as a scout to the 1981 Jamboree, I had to get the then new 'oscar de larente' uniform to go.

It could be up to the local councils. They may mandate that participants go in the current uniform only. However, I do recall a troop of scouts at the last jamboree who all wore the previous pre-odl uniform that didn't have a collar (because you were supposed to wear a neckerchief).

• 4 weeks later...

Probably BRANDED.

Hat taken off, red epaulets ripped off, belt removed, the bottle opener on one's Swiss Army knife broken off, and then sent out the gate.

Like what happened to my old Cubmaster years ago at my last Pack meeting.

Our commissioner was pretty tough about unit inspections.

Is the boy still going to be able to fit into his current uniform in two years? He'll likely need two or more uniform shirts anyway. I would suggest not worrying about which uniform to wear until you have to start putting the shirts together in the months just before the Jamboree. What you'll be able to get your hands on then will most likely answer your question.

I think I had 4 uniform shirts for my Jambo trip in 1989. I still have 3 of them in the closet, and I vaguely remember converting one of them for use in my regular troop afterwards. Interestingly, the uniform shirt I currently wear is the same one I wore at my Eagle COH (It hasn't seen any major outdoor use).

I think I'll strip the patches off all but one of my Jambo shirts and donate them to one of the units I service. I should have done that a long time ago.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Our Council solved this issue by including the price of two full uniforms in the fee. We order in bulk so get a discount. Some parents like this, some want a refund because they already bought a new uniform. Can't please everybody but at least our entire contingent will match.

Local council option. I am going as an ASM. Our SE made a decision based on the current state of the economy that the boys going will be able to mix and match new and old uniform parts as needed to make up our required three complete uniforms. The only requirement is that he wants them all to wear the new green tabs regardless of what parts of the uniform they wear.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been told new-new uniform only, which is a bit annoying since the BOGO sales on the switchbacks do not include the newest style. And we've been cautioned not to buy the new shirts now either, since they might change slightly again before this time next year.

My son has a pair of the older switch backs (slightly lighter shade of green than the newer ones) that he'll probably still be able to wear as shorts by next year and I expect he'll take them. What are they going to do, rip them off him? He'll have a pair of the newer pants too for occasions when it really matters to (whoever) that all the boys are wearing the exact same shade of pea soup green, but I imagine there'll be plenty of time during the day to wear the other BSA-issue uniform shorts.

I'dd bet most of these "must have new uniforms" needs could be handled by having one complete uniform for group photos and events like that. Would be a bit much to make everybody dump out their bags and stand inspection before they can board the bus. Gotta believe there will be a run on the Suplex short sleeve shirts next year.

• 2 weeks later...

My son's Jambo troop has been told that two complete centennial uniforms will be required and that the council will give them the opportunity to purchase them in October at cost through the scout store (we have a national supply store in the council).

I'm on staff but have not been told about staff requirements yet.

CMM

"I'm on staff but have not been told about staff requirements yet."

Unless your staff has certain requirements, the staff requirments were already stated in the Jamboree Staff Guide.

Staff wear their regular scout uniforms (with the addition of the Jamboree patch). I've been on staff 4 prior times and have worn my full uniform. I do not expect staff to be requied to get the centennial uniform. (as I'm in Venturing, I'll be wearing green & gray)

Now, some staff may have a 'class b' uniform (t-shirt, polo, etc), which you may wear while on duty, or only when you aren't. But that you will learn most likely after the begining of the year (mainly because you'll need to order these in advance from your staff group).