daytrippers and visitors??

Our boys will be just old enough to go to the Jamboree in '10... chronologically, anyway. But at this point, no way will they be savvy enough to navigate on thier own or with an adult leader who doesn't really 'know' them. (picture Billy from the 'Family Circus' comic strip).

We were considering two options-

1. go as 'visitors'- would the boys be able to participate in any of the events?

2. sign them up, pay the full fee, but keep them in a nearby hotel/ family campground with us most nights so they don't 'forget' to return to thier tents, wander off in the woods because they aren't paying attention, ect.

At this point (they are 10yo Webelos now), no way are they mature enough to go, given the adult:scout ratio. And it seems like an awful expensive gamble to assume they will be ready in 2 years, and have them not be.

The only reason this is even an issue is because this Jambo is close enough to drive down for the day, who knows where the next one will be, and if we will be able to afford to travel to it.

Any ideas? Or are we setting the boys up for a lifetime of ridicule because we won't let them leave the nest?

In 1997 I had 4 boys in my Jamboree Troop that were 12 yrs. old. They did great!! I have stayed in touch with one of these guys, he just graduated from USMA (West Point) and is headed to Ranger school. He says he was inspired at the '97 Jambo.

Directly answering your question, registering for Jamboree and staying off post with Mom is probably a bad idea on so many levels I scarcely know where to begin. Being a day visitor is an option, but will not be able to participate in much.

Eleven year-olds routinely spend a week away from mom & dad at their first Boy Scout summer camp; I don't think two weeks for a twelve year-old is too much to expect.

The boys will never grow up if not given a chance -- and in addition to the adult leadership, there will also be many older Scouts around to keep an eye on the younger guys.

I say let 'em go and enjoy themselves.

Gcan,

I think you'll see that there can be a significant difference between your boys at 10 and when they are 12. They'll get along fine. I've taken our Troop, with the whole age range of Scouts, to many large Scout gatherings and have alway been impressed with the younger Scouts' ability to get along. Using the Buddy system gives them confidence that they can find their way around and back to camp. But in my experience, even if separated from their buddy, they always do well by finding an adult from the Troop or a staff member.

By the way, I say this even though I have had the "poster child" for ADD in my Troop. This boy would wander off and be distracted by almost anything. He learned and with careful warning and instruction, even he did fine.

ASM59

Participants must be 12 and First Class. They will mature between now and then, so don't assume they will be the same as they are now.

If you think this is too soon for them, the next jamboree will be in 2013 or 14, when they will be 15/16.

To answer your questions:

"1. go as 'visitors'- would the boys be able to participate in any of the events?"

Going as a visitor is an option. NO, they will NOT be able to participate in any event. The Jamboree activities are for Jamboree participants. National really only wants scouts to visit for a couple of days, no more. You can see all the activities and the shows, but don't expect to participate. Further, being a visitor does NOT entitle one to wear the Jamboree participant patch above the right pocket. They have, at the last couple of jamborees, made a visitor patch. Its worn ON the right pocket, like any other temporary patch.

"2. sign them up, pay the full fee, but keep them in a nearby hotel/ family campground with us most nights so they don't 'forget' to return to thier tents, wander off in the woods because they aren't paying attention, ect. "

No, no, no. Doesn't work that way. Scouts go as part of a troop contingent. They will travel with that contingent and stay with that contingent. What you are proposing will NOT be allowed. This will be 12 yo 1st class scouts, not 10 year old Webelos. They will also be buddied up with other scouts, and be carrying id with them. This sort of stuff shouldn't happen.

thanks for the answers! I guess I'm just worried about the boys as they are NOW, when they wander off into the woods in search or something shiny. I'm hoping they will have a much better head on thier shoulders in 2 years.

next question- what about meds? one is on OTC allergy meds, but the other boy is on Adderrol. I'm assuming there is a procedure in place for this- anyone know what it is?

And do you think the kids would be humiliated if the parents came by for the day (or several days) to visit? Are thier often parents wandering around?

"what about meds? one is on OTC allergy meds, but the other boy is on Adderrol. I'm assuming there is a procedure in place for this- anyone know what it is?"

Uncertain about that. I know that National is being very concerned about the health conditions of staff and adult leaders, and I would assume the youth.

There are medical staff at all subcamps. I would think they would be able to handle this, but am not certain. This is really something you should speak with your local council Jamboree folk, who would have the more accurate info.

"And do you think the kids would be humiliated if the parents came by for the day (or several days) to visit? Are thier often parents wandering around?"

A lot of kids have their parents/relatives visiting. There are a large number of visitors who come, many of which are scouts and their parents who, for whatever reason, did not go as jamboree participants. It all depends on your kids and if they will be embarrased, as well as would they want to hang around with the folks, or speand time on the many activities at Jambo.

Instead of worrying about if your 12 year old child can go... why don't you go too? Go as a leader or a staffer. :) I completely understand your worries as a parent, but keep in mind hundreds of thousands of scouts have gone to Jambo before, and the odds of something happening are minimal.

Want more proof?

Compare the number of fatalities/injuries at the Jamboree where there's an average daily population of 200,000, to the number of injuries/fatalities a in any other community of that size. You'll be amazed.

Me, I wish my kids could go to jambo all year round.

Sign your boys up and let them go. They will mature alot between now and then. You have to give them a challange in order for them to mature and grow on their own.

Going as a visitor will be very limited participation.

The other option you suggested is just not possible. They have to attend the jamboree as a member of a council contingency troop. Some boys would be embarrassed to have "mom and dad" tagging along with them at a jamboree.

2010 will be my 8th Jamboree. As parents you need to determine if your boys are mature enough to attend the Jamboree. Their performance at Summer Camp and troop campouts will give you a clue to their maturity. I've always served on the Staff of the Merit Badge Midway and feel that 12 years old is too young for some scouts. My suggestion is to sign up as a Jamboree staffer. I'm organizing the Electricity and Electronics Merit Badge Booths and need 250 volunteers with skills to instruct these merit badges. You can check out our efforts at www.emeritbadges.org. If you are interested in volunteering please contact me at emeritbadges@ieee.org.