"Could that be the patch in the upper left?"

Yes it is.

I have to say its yet another dull design, as have the last 2 jamborees.

They seem more excited about the manufacturing process they are using then the design. It's similiar to the process used for the BSA-WSJ contingent back patch and the Centennial Unit award patches, but 'better'.

Doesn't appear that the registration site is up and running. Should be up in June.

I know John Alline (the National Jamboree Director, ie, the pro at National in charge of the Jamboree) told me this past weekend they had the site 'ready to go' and their webadmins wanted to take it live. Frankly, in looking over it, most seemed there, but there was still some missing or outdated info (ie, stuff from last year).

I guess they jumped the gun in putting it on-line.

I think they are waiting until everything is a go with the on-line registration stuff, which they should be done with. That should be up in June, so hopefully between now and then it will be back.

Well they have already figured out the application and payment thing. They're using the same method and software they used for the National Meeting, and that worked out alright, at least when I used it.

I'm excited about Jambo, I've applied to be a contingent leader. I have my interview in early June.

Actually, the Jamboree Division invested in a registration software package, in the hopes the other divisions will pony up and use it. They hope the same system will be used for NOAC, PTC, High Adventure bases, etc. John didn't say they were already using it for the National Meeting registration.

From what he said, the registration part should be good to go. So not sure the delay.

guys, when I clicked on the link in GNXguy's first post a user name and password screen came up. Does this mean that the jambo site just isn't online right now, or that in order to access it I will need to get some mystical password (and how do I do that)?

Since our troop hasn't participated in past jambos in recent memory,and since there's some interest in sending some boys to 2010 jambo, I want to make sure our guys aren't the last ones to find out about it this time around. Thanks.

"when I clicked on the link in GNXguy's first post a user name and password screen came up. Does this mean that the jambo site just isn't online right now, or that in order to access it I will need to get some mystical password (and how do I do that)? "

The Jamboree website has been taken down.

I can only assume it being put on-line might have been someone jumping the gun, and they took it down (or password protected it).

I would hope whatever reasons for this were will be resolved and it will be back up, hopefully with the on-line registration system a go.

Lisabob, your council should be taking "interest" apps now, or at a minimum just compiling a list of interested souls. Our Council is fielding 4 troops and I believe that we have enough on our interest lists to fill 3 of them.

contact your Council Jamboree Committee person and get on the list. If you don't know who that is, it's usually under the VP Program's domain.

If you do send boys to the Jamboree, it will be an experience they will never forget, that I can guarantee.

Well, in one council I am in, they are already looking for candidates for Jamboree SM/ASMs, with a due day of May 15, with announcements of who is choicen in June. Another council I know of has already set down the contingent costs.

So a lot of councils are quickly ramping up for the jamboree in terms of costs/leadership. Am sure there will be a big push come this fall to get signups.

Thanks kb and emb. As for an "interest list" our council is apparently behind the curve on this. I've been told by one of the fellows who is one of our contingent ASMs that our council won't even begin talking about jambo sign ups until June. And then things tend to be done word-of-mouth so I'm really trying to make sure I know what to ask!

Just jump up and down a lot and say "ooo ooo ooo, can I go, can I go".

LOL

They probably figure that it's not that big of a sales issue since it's going to be the capstone event for the 100th Anniversary events. I'm sorta biased about Jamboree since I've attended one as a youth and then again on staff last time.

I can't imagine any council not being able to fill thier contingents, but with this downturned economy who really knows. I've already got my payment plan worked out. My Council's going to charge close to $2500 for the trip.

• 2 months later...

Just an update and a question here. My council STILL has not put out any info at all about jambo; nothing on our website, in our newsletter, or available in any other format. When I talked with a couple of our council pros recently they didn't seem to have any idea what was going on or when info would be available. In fact one of them told me I (my son) was the first one he'd heard of to actually register online and turn in the $100 registration check to council (which has been cashed). He could not tell me whether that meant my son would get a spot or not though, as they seem not to have a method for selecting youth at this point. In the past they've operated first come/first served, but who knows this time.

He also told me that the national website was down for a while in June due to too many complaints from councils around the country. He said that there was either no, or poor, communication from national to council pro's about how to mesh the online national registration with whatever process each council has in place.

Does that ring true to you? Right now I'm thinking that it could be true, or he could have been feeding me a line to get me to stop asking questions he couldn't answer (but should have been able to).

Lisa,

I don't know whether it is true or not. I know we are in the same boat as you. I went as an ASM with one of our Council contingent troops in 2005. Upon returning, we basically all wrote up a best practices document, combined them and gave them to the council in the final meeting of the adult leadership. We had 4 troops and ended up having to give up one because we couldn't recruit enough boys. There were two factors. One was the $1900 price tag and the other was the council dragged their feet on getting the whole process going. Here it is 2008 and National already has the online reservation pice in place. In looking around the internet, other councils have already determined their adult leadership and youth recruitment has begun. Our council.....chirping crikets....nothing, zip, nada. I understand that a committee chair has been selected and he is recruiting members, but that is about it. I only know tht much because I know someone in the know about those kinds of things. I'm guessing that with gas costs as high as they are now with no end in sight, the cost could be $2300 to $2500 for the 2010 Jamboree. If you try to make it as painless as possible, you try to keep montly payments at $100. That means you needed to be recruiting back at the beginning of the year or spring at the latest. As it stands now, I don't think they will start taking applications for adult leadership until this fall at the earliest and they won't begin promotion or recruiting until the adult leadership has been selected. They are only hurting themselves by not getting ahead of the curve like we told them to do. I do know of a friend of mine who signed his son up the first day that online reservations began. A day or two later he went into the council office and asked them about it and all he got was deer in the headlight stares and a lot of stuttering and stamering. He still has not received an answer. I know my comments sound extremely negative, but I really do like my council, the professionals and all they do for us. But geez folks, this isn't rocket science. We don't have to reinvent the wheel.