21st Century Wood Badge for Jambo ?

Someone e-mailed me saying that the Jamboree SM and 1st ASM are now required to have completed the 21st Century Wood Badge course.

They asked if I knew if this was a fact?

I don't know.

Is it now a requirement?

Eamonn.

YES, it is a fact as shown on page 4 of the 2010 Council Jamboree Guide

Unit Leader Qualifications

Scoutmaster

Have served as a Scoutmaster for at least one year during

the three-year period prior to July 1, 2010.

Completed basic Scoutmaster training or Boy Scout Fast

Start and Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader

Specific Training, No. 34879.

Completion of Wood Badge for the 21st Century.

Be able to serve as a role model of physical fitness. Have

participated in the prejamboree training experience.

Have filed a Jamboree Personal Health and Medical

Record, Class 3, No. 67-34412, before the prejamboree

training with the council jamboree committee.

Complete the 60-minute Youth Protection Training.

Be approved by the local council.

Although not required, Scouters Key is a desirable

qualification.

First Assistant Scoutmaster

(Same qualifications as Scoutmaster)

Second Assistant Scoutmaster

Be at least 21 years of age by July 1, 2010.

Complete the appropriate leader-specific training.

Have served actively in an adult troop leadership position

for at least one year during the three-year period prior to

July 1, 2010.

Have participated in the prejamboree training experience.

Have filed a Personal Health and Medical Record, Class 3,

No. 67-34412, before the prejamboree training with the

council jamboree committee.

Complete the 60-minute Youth Protection Training.

Be able to serve as a role model of physical fitness.

Third Assistant Scoutmaster

Be at least 18 years of age (but not yet 21) by

September 1, 2010.

Have served actively in a troop leadership position.

Complete the appropriate leader specific training.

Have participated in the prejamboree training experience.

Have filed a Personal Health and Medical Record, Class 3,

No. 67-34412, before the prejamboree training with the

council jamboree committee.

Complete the 60-minute Youth Protection training.

Be able to serve as a role model of physical fitness.

Boy Scout Qualifications

Scouts who participate in the 2010 jamboree are selected by

the more than 300 local councils. Each Scout must

Be at least a First Class Scout.

Have completed sixth grade or be at least 12 years of age

by July 1, 2010, and have not reached his 18th birthday by

August 3, 2010.

Participate in the prejamboree training experience.

Have filed a Personal Health and Medical Record Form,

Class 3, No. 67-34412, before the prejamboree training.

Have been active in a troop or team for at least six months

prior to July 1, 2010.

Be approved by his Scoutmaster or Varsity Scout Coach.

Be approved by the local council jamboree committee.

Youth and Adult Leader Applications

In order to be complete, each council must develop its own

Local Council Jamboree Information Sheet to insert in the

two-page forms. A sample is shown in the appendix on

page 29. The applications may be downloaded from

www.scouting.org/jamboree.

Youth and adult leaders must complete an online application.

It is accessed through www.scouting.org for non-BSA employees.

BSA employees will access it through www.myBSA.org.

Applicants will need to use their BSA ID number or their Social

Security number to access the application Web site.

The individual will be directed to print a confirmation and

send it to the council with a $100 deposit.

Councils will be provided instruction on accessing the registration

reports in a special announcement. The Web site will

be activated in May 2008.

Someone was kind enough to provide me with a link to the 2010 Council Jamboree Guide.

I really do feel that if this was going to be a requirement that the word needed to have been put out before now. (To my knowledge this guide has only just been released?)

I know the SM that has been selected for one of our Troops completed the old course back in 1999 (I was on Staff) He was my ASM 1, back in 2005.

He is the SM of a very active Troop in our District (One of th best in the District) He is married and has kids.

He worked for a company that has down-sized and now works for a small company, where he is earning less money and is the low man on the totem pole. With very little vacation time.

Expecting someone who is Wood Badge Trained to go back and take the course again, spend the money again, give up the time again? With so little notice is just unfair.

This year he has made plans for his summer, both with the Troop and his family.

In 2010 the Jamboree will use up all of his vacation time, so that only leaves 2009.

This to my mind is just not very fair.

RE: "I wonder if someone who took the previous WB, but staffed 21CWB would be eligible."

I really don't know.

But my thinking is that if you have staffed the 21st Century Course and been through the development you should know more about the course than most of the participants.

Of course now there is a requirement that you need to have taken the new course before you can be a staff member. I'm all for that.

The first 21st Century course I staffed was staffed by "Old Course Staffers!!" many of whom just didn't get it.

Maybe National thinks that we have a bigger turn over of Scouter's than we have?

Who knows what the thinking is?

But to my mind not recognizing the old course is a slap in the face to all the people who took it and not allowing more time (Telling everyone what the requirement is, in a timely manner) is just plain wrong.

(End of rant!)

Eamonn.

There is a calmer way to approach this. We are actually talking about just 1 adult position out of 4 in a Jambo troop. They reserved 1 spot on the trip for a leader with advanced leadership training that is less than 10 years old. 1 spot per troop.

In addition it only relates to the troop contingency. There are far more opportunities for a person to go on regional or national staff then there is with a troop and you get the same patches and see the same shows and go to the same activities.

As for fitness, anyone who was there last year can attest to the fact that there were unit leaders who were risking their lives there because they were not anywhere near the level of health they were supposed to have for a high adventure outing as required for Jamboree.

Better they stay home alive then return home not.

As I recall from reading the 2010 Guidebook, it actually applies to two of the four adult leader positions within each contingent troop, as the 1st ASM requirements are the same as the Scoutmaster (as shown in my above post.)

Additionaly, Jamboree is not nor to my knowledge has ever been considered a high adventure activity. I was under the impression that High adventure is reserved for those 14 and older and are separated from support. Jamboree allows 12 year olds to attend and support is everywhere.

Eammon, if your friend staffed WB21C in 2005, wouldn't he be "elegible" under the new rules? Part of being on staff is the experience of living the presentations and materials again, in a different light. I believe his training would be acceptable under the circumstances and within the requirements. Ultimately that would remain the decision of your Council NSJ Committee, but he certainly has at least one leg to stand on.

• 2 months later...

Eamonn, Your friend would not be "going through it again" as the syllabus for the Cub Scout Trainer Wood badge and the Boy Scout Leader Wood Badge is very, very much different than the WB for the 21st Century syllabus. Additionally, IMHO, staying current on the latest training particularly as it relates to leadership development is part of being a role model for both youth and adults alike. I agree with the selection criteria for Jambo staff. I also believe everyone should attend WB as soon as they've completed their position specific training. Fresh out of the box leaders may well be served by a year's experience in the trenches but generally I think most leaders benefit from their WB experience. Anyway, that's my 2c worth. IB, Steve

• 1 month later...

I really liked this rule (from the 2010 Jamboree GuideBook page 17):

Even if an adult has had a physical, is considered capable by his doctor and his council:

"Physical Examination. All participants must submit certification

of physical fitness on the official form, Personal Health

and Medical Record Form, No. 67-34412. Maintenance of

good health in a jamboree camp is of utmost importance,

and it is with this objective in mind that the following must

be enforced: (1) Participants will be expected to get a complete

examination by a licensed health-care practitioner.

(2) It is recommended that the examination take place not

less than 15 days or more than six months before departure

to the jamboree. (3) Participants will go through a medical

screening upon arrival. In the event a leader is found medically

unfit at this time, he or she cannot serve and must

return home at his or her own expense."

Someone at the Jamboree can say sorry, you are not capable. And the person has to leave without refund and pay his own way home???

What was that about "Brotherhood of Scouting"?

I haven't found the comment on this web site but the interpretation of the Wood Badge requirement is, I understand, that the Jamboree Division at National asked the Boy Scout Division what the course is now called and the answer given was "21st Century Wood Badge." So they listed 21st Century Wood Badge. I understand that the intention is that any Wood Badge is acceptable if so considered by the local council.

As far as being "sent home" by the Jamboree medical staff, I am 100% certain that this is not the BSA setting up some kind of stealth "gotcha." Rather, I believe that they are concerned that some Scout leaders can get their buddy the doctor to sign up as their being fit for Jamboree when they know and everybody else knows that they really are not. I would imagine that if there is some question about a person't fitness, they can contact the jamboree medical staff in advance and obtain guidance on their situation. I would find it inconceivable that if the person's medical condition on arrival is the same as when they checked in advance with the jamboree medical staff that there would be a problem and the person would be asked to leave. However if:

1) The person's physical condition really is inappropriate for the Jamboree and they got a "friendly" doctor to sign their form or

2) The person's physical condition upon arrival is substantially different from what is reported on their medical form

then there might be a problem.

I can only speculate this has been a problem at previous Jamborees.

• 2 months later...

When WB for the 21st Century was first launched, National made a huge deal about the new grads being, rightly, accepted into the Woodbadge fraternity and not be looked at as completing a "lesser" program. Now, the tides seem to have changed and the Old Course grads are being excluded and essentially told that our beads are worthless! Of course we can just pay another fee and complete a new ticket... then we can join the reindeer games again!

I staffed the 2nd iteration of WB21 in our council and our staff (which was carefully selected, to avoid the they/we crowd) did get the new program! Bottom line, the concepts of leadership haven't really changed (wow leadership as timeless!). The biggest difference, minus the number of ticket items and some new format was the addition of diversity. However, diversity is taught/stressed at all training and program events... thus not unique to WB.

As to the requirement for Jambo 2010? What does WB21 really bring over old-WB to warrant a requirement vice a desired qualification? Is the new WB that much better at teaching the leadership of young men?

I was SM for 2005. My SPL and I, along with a 1st/2nd/3rd ASM "dream team," successfully lead our troop on a wonderful 20-day adventure. We endured the "Bataan March" arena show without heat incident! Had zero discipline issues! And even had an ADHD scout excel as a Patrol Leader! However, by the current qualifications... neither myself or likely my 1st assistant are qualified to lead another contingent troop???

NICE!

• 1 month later...

gentlemen - please see below:

June 30, 2008

To: Council Jamboree Staff Advisors

Subject: Updated Information

Greetings!

Another update on information that might be important

2. Any who are already Wood Badge trained will have met that requirement for staff positions. The reference to the 21st Century Wood Badge only applies to those who are not currently Wood Badge trained.