Made it to First Class!

My son, who has Asperger's, ADHD and OCD, as well as some physical limitations, passed his Board of Review last night for First Class. It's taken him just over 3 years, but I couldn't be prouder.

One of the big hurdles was passing the swim test. Because of coordination problems and a pretty bad fear of water, we weren't sure he'd ever be able to pass an unmodified swim test. But this past summer, we visited the pool a couple times a week to work past the fear. Then, he went every day of his week at summer camp to the instructional swim time, and by the end of the week, passed the swim test.

Sometimes it's been hard to watch his peers zoom through advancement, but I think it's important to remember, especially for these guys with special needs, that the journey is definitely as important as the end result, and they will ultimately make that journey on their own schedule.

Anway, I just wanted to share his success with anyone else who might be struggling with a scout with special needs. Don't give up him, and don't let him give up on himself.