Last fall I signed my son up for the 2010 NJ. We had a talk first and he said ok. Lately he has become less interested in scouts. We had a talk the other day and he said he wouldn't mind continuing in scouts but he isn't going to go to the jamboree. I asked him why, what does he think it's going to be like. His response was that the sight seeing stuff sounded okay but there was no way he would want to do the jamboree part. More prodding and he said he thinks it would be like attending Scout-O-Rama for two weeks straight. I had a good chuckle with that and said I wouldn't want to do that either. I couple weeks ago, BSA had a video on its website selling the 2010 NJ. I was going to show it to my son but couldn't find it. Does anyone know if it is still there? If so, where?

Thanks,

SWScouter

That video is a good marketing tool.

My Webelos son has never been really excited about scouts...he's always done it because we told him he had to do some sort of extra curricular activity and he doesn't like sports. He's getting more into it now that he has the opportunity to make more decisions himself...more a Boy Scout mentality than a Cub Scout.

I showed that video to him a couple of months ago. He says, "COOL, I am SO gonna go to THAT!"

So, I said, "you know it's only for Boy Scouts, not Cub Scouts and it's not until 2010."

I could see the wheels turning in his head as he counted the time...(He crosses over in Spring 2009) "AWESOME! I'm going!"

"He crosses over in Spring 2009"

Not to be a wet blanket, but a newly crossed over Boy Scout may not be able to go to the 2010 NSJ. There are minimum age and rank requirements to go to Jamboree. Not sure what they are, but I think its 12/13 years old and 2nd or 1st Class.

Furthermore, there will be a limited number of scouts who will be able to go, and your son will be competting against other boys in his council, many of whom will be older and more experienced.

Best if he looks forward to the next NSJ which should be in 2014 (tho I've heard rumours it might be moved to 2013).

SWScouter,

Not sure how you could have signed up, as National will not even begin to accept applications until June 2008. And then, they will only be accepted via the internet.

I think you might have just givin a deposit and are listed on an "I'm interested form" I think many councils jumped the gun prematurly in this regard.

GNX Guy,

Our council started sign ups last spring. Most of the troops are already filled up. My sons Jamboree troop will have its first meeting the last Thursday of this month. The meeting is mostly informational for the parents and for everyone to meet. The contingent troops, in addition to the jamboree, will have a fairly extensive tour. They will be travelling for three weeks total. The council has priced the jamboree at $3000. There was a $300 deposit and starting last January, there are $300 payments each quarter. He's signed up, it's real.

Timbit,

Thanks for posting the link to the video. My son watched it, we went over the tentative itinerary again, and he seems much happier about the whole thing. That makes me feel much better too!

SWScouter

SWScouter, I trust you have seen this:

The 2010 National Scout Jamboree will use an online application process for all Scouts, leaders, and jamboree staff applicants desiring to attend the jamboree. The registration process will be similar to the new National Annual Meeting registration Web site.

Interested youth, unit contingent leaders, and prospective staff members must complete an online application. It is accessed through www.Scouting.org for non-BSA employees. Applicants will need to use their BSA ID number to access the application Web site. The initial application fee is $10. This fee is nonrefundable and does apply to the registration fee. This will be reflected as a credit on your council statement once your finanal payment is received.

Scouts and individuals applying to be part of the council contingent will be directed to print a confirmation and send it to the council with a $100 deposit. The confirmation will state that their application must be accepted by their council and does not guarantee participation. Individuals seeking jamboree staff positions will pay their fees online by credit card to the National Council.

The Web sit will be activated in June 2008.

There could be a chance that if other youth sign up via the proper proceedure through nationsal before those that are unofficially, signed up, they could possibly loose their space.

Did your son complete this on line application?

GNX Guy,

Yes, I saw that. I don't see how that is an issue though. The council can have it's own sign up and then submit all names to National as needed. The council can do this online if National requires it. Moneys used can be from those already received from the scouts and adults that are registered from the council contingents. That's just a logistic item the council needs to work through. Like I said, my son is signed up, there is a payment schedule in place. It's real.

SWScouter