National has made a few announcments

2010 Jamboree fee will be $795.00 per scout or leader

On line registration for youth, contingent adults, staff will all be on line with a $10.00 non-refundable fee. They will print thier confirmation and send it to the Council with a $100.00 deposit.

Registration will be activated in June

As I stated above each person will register (and there will also be a $10.00 non-refundable application fee), you will print the confirmation and take it to your local council with a $100.00 deposit. Now, keep in mind, that your council will probably want more than that $100.00 as that $100.00 only is a deposit for the Jamboree fee, that they must turn in by Jan 31, 2009 to National. Your council will probably want a deposit of some amount to cover tour reservations, equipment etc. So I'd be willing to bet at least a $200 deposit will be required by many councils.

So yes, each person will register on their own. Not sure what coucils will do that already have troops filled and another youth tries to register via on line. Could be a problem for those councils that started collecting $$$ already. Council still has must approve all scouts attending

"So yes, each person will register on their own. Not sure what coucils will do that already have troops filled and another youth tries to register via on line. Could be a problem for those councils that started collecting $$$ already. Council still has must approve all scouts attending"

Well, I don't see it as necessarily a 'problem' for the council, other then a scout is out $10 who isn't going to Jamboree.

It's more accurate to say you are APPLYING for Jamboree, and that you still need to be approved, etc. The same thing had been done for NOAC in the last few years (tho I don't think contingents had their people signup on-line, it was mainly for staff), tho they didn't charge $10. National probably did that to scare off the silly applications.

They could (theoretically) set it up so that people have to have an access code in order to register online. That way the council contingent leaders would have control over who registers, if those leaders are the ones with the access codes. That's why I wondered.

Our own council is apparently not real fast out of the gate with regard to these kinds of things. I could easily imagine a scenario where some people who pay attention to the online option would go ahead and register individually, and then council would go off and do their own thing without realizing that people were even registered online. Could be a big mess is what I'm thinking, if not coordinated well. And that seems to be the norm. I hope I'm wrong.

The actual text of the letter reads as follows:

The 2010 National Scout Jamboree will use an online application process for all Scouts, leaders, and jamboree staff applicants desiring to attend the jamboree. The registration process will be similar to the new National Annual Meeting registration Web site.

Interested youth, unit contingent leaders, and prospective staff members must complete an online application. It is accessed through www.Scouting.org for non-BSA employees. Applicants will need to use their BSA ID number to access the application Web site. The initial application fee is $10. This fee is nonrefundable and does apply to the registration fee. This will be reflected as a credit on your council statement once your finanal payment is received.

Scouts and individuals applying to be part of the council contingent will be directed to print a confirmation and send it to the council with a $100 deposit. The confirmation will state that their application must be accepted by their council and does not guarantee participation. Individuals seeking jamboree staff positions will pay their fees online by credit card to the National Council.

The Web sit will be activated in June 2008.

David Harrison