Maybe from an adult stand point jambo wasn't worth it. I went in

2005, as did my dad as an ASM for our Jambo troop. IT WAS SO WORTH IT! Most boys only get one chance to go. I was 12 when i went, so will be 17 in 2010. I want to go as long as money isn't a problem. For our council it was $1900 a person. I expect it to be higher this time around.

As for a Cub leader being an SM of a Jambo troop, in my mind, isn't the greatest idea. Not that i'm saying one couldn't do the job, Its just that being a CM is WAY different than an SM, and Jambo ISN'T the place to learn that!!! Jambo is a tough challenge for both youth and adults, and having someone who hasn't had much field experience in the BOYscouting program shouldn't be an SM, regardless of how ever many training courses you have been through. In scouting, experience is the best training there is in my opinion.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As for a Cub leader being an SM of a Jambo troop, in my mind, isn't the greatest idea."

It also won't happen.

There are requirements for the 4 adult positions with a Jamboree troop. These include both mandatory and recommended requirements. As I recall of the mandatory requirements:

Jamboree SM- Must have served as a Scoutmaster a certain number of years within the last 5 years.

Jamboree 1st ASM- same requirements as Jamboree SM.

Jamboree 2nd ASM- adult scout leader, any program.

Jamboree 3rd ASM- adult scout leader between the ages of 18 and 21.

A Cubmaster who has held no other scout leader position will only be eligable for the 2nd ASM position. And is going to be competing with other Boy Scout leaders. And will probably lose out.

It all depends on what one wants to get out of Jambo (and who is paying for it!). I enjoyed it to a degree participating as a Scoutmaster. Most Scouts like it because it is unlike most outings - lot of places to go and things to do.

As for being prepared for the weather - here is my take on it. There is hot, there is humid and there is stupid. In 2005, they all converged! Out troop did the DC tour staying each evening in either a school or church with no A/C. That lasted three days. Next, on to Fort Ambrose Hill! Temps were high, humidity was high (heat indexes climbing each day getting around to 115F, actual temps around 100 - 105F). Then time for the "opening ceremony" (the stupid part). Scouts were told they could not bring liquids (security reasons - water would be given once inside the bowl). They were asked to wear their field uniform. We had two "honor scouts" sit in the bowl in the hot sun starting from around 1:00 PM (as required). Our troop was told to line up on the asphalt around 2:00 PM (no shade) and we waited for about three hours moving about 100 ft/hour. Well, direct sun, no water, full uniform, heat index well above 100 and scouts and Scouters started to fall. Our troop did not "lose" anyone but some of the boys and adults were borderline.

Well, the opening was cancelled around 5:00 PM (due to weather and not heat but lightning) and I think around 1000 - 1500 people needed medical attention due to heat illnesses. I talked with many of the military folks at the base and they couldn't believe the logistics the BSA was trying to implement. For 2010, I hope they took good notes!

Well, and we'll see if the Army doesn't run the show from the very beginning this time. I believe Army personnel took over making Health and Safety decisions about half-way through last time. I'd guess they probably had input, but were leaving it up to BSA staff to make final call. But then after bigtime issues, I think the Army took over the final decision..

I was working on staff at the dinner for all the yellow tabs and base brass the night of the opening ceremony. At about 4:45 Gen. Yingling the base commanders phone rings. Next thing he says to Roy williams is "sir, early reports show that you have over 500 men down. What do You want to do." 10 min later the opening show is cancelled.

Yes, it was hot. yes there were issues. Both by boys went and said they would do it again in a minute if they could. I'd do it again too.

Just think what would have happened had they cancelled early and then nothing happened. I can hear the moaning and b****ing about how they're wasting money and not giving the Scouts the activities they paid for. Yes, safety FIRST. But that's a tough call, IMO.

If you ask some people, the heat we had at Jambo 2005 was enough to keep things closed all the time. So what do you expect them to do in that sort of situation?

I attended Jambo '05 as a staff member (Episcopal Church booth in the Relationships tent).

I remember thinking after it was over that I'd never do that again, but as Jambo '10 approaches, I'm thinking I'll probably go back.

After all, how many times does one get a chance to attend Jambo during BSA's Centennial?

You know Fred, I was thinking just the opposite! I couldn't wait to go back! ;)

Here's what I put in the Nationalbsajamboree2010 discussion over on Yahoo...

I don't have experience going as a troop participant, but I went in

2005 as a staff member. I worked on the Rappel Tower D with Jerry. I

really loved it; definitely worth it! Yes you'll work, but it can

really be a lot of fun. And it can be very rewarding.

I can remember two specific incidents on the Tower that stick out.

The first one was a kid named Paul. Paul was as scared as he possibly

could be. He just couldn't do it; couldn't do it; but he just kept

coming back and trying. We finally were able to get him down the wall

and he was so exicted! It took 4 of us over time to get it done, but

we accomplished something for him and it's the greatest feeling ever!

Another one that I remember was one day we had a group of Scouts come

to the Tower from Puerto Rico. I'll tell you-that was difficult! Here

we had 6 Scouts who didn't speak English and then most of the staff

spoke no Spanish. But we were able to make it work out. I knew a

little bit of Spanish, but that was about it. We used motions, we

worked with them, and we got them down the wall. Jerry, I went and

looked up some Spanish related to rappelling shortly after I got

home ;)

So, I was a Youth Staff Member in 2005. Definitely a ton of fun and

definitely worth it!

I think it's worth it, at least once. As a youth I chose the National OA Conference over Jambo (showing my age - that only happened in '81) and didn't regret it. In '05 I was 1st ASM for my council troop and had a great time. My Webelo son is pumped because he will be 13 in '10 and can go.

The event is unique - check out the scouting.org site for a new preview video. All in all, I've personally had better/cheaper Scouting experiences backpacking in Colorado, skiing in Austria, scuba diving in Texas, canoeing in Arkansas. But Jambo is unique and I want to do it one more time with my son.

As for the weather, some Jambo's have been nothing but rain, the last one had unrelenting heat until the moment the opening show was supposed to start, next time it might be relatively cool. The key is to BE PREPARED.

Folks talked about the death march. Yes, it was a bad, dangerous decision to go forward with the march, especially since the show was likely to be cancelled anyway due to the front and lightning storm coming.

But our troop was prepared. The leaders bought hot dogs, chips and powerade for the youth and made eveyone eat before 3 PM. We carried all the water and electrolytes we could with us, knowing it would be thrown away before we entered. During the 3 hour hike we scavenged all the water we could and sang to keep up morale. The only problem any of our guys had was desperately needing to use the bathroom by the time we reached the show site.

The health and safety issues of Jamboree are your biggest concerns. Having a second asst. SM with military medical training was priceless. He pushed hydration PLUS electrolytes.

Plan, prepare, and train and it will be worth it.

Pack212Scouter and Fellow Scouters,

Was Jamboree worth it?

Well that is a very open question. Pack212Scouter, maybe you should have asked, Would you attend Jamboree again?

Would I attend again? Yes.

Was Jamboree worth it? I think so But first let me offer a few pros and mostly cons by telling you a few stories. Mostly cons, because now I think they are either hiliarous, or I ask myself. What were they thinking?

Well.. National Jamboree seems to be a "once in a lifetime" Scouting event. From the 2005 National Jamboree, there were many extreme disappointments and extreme successes.

I laughed and enjoyed a lot of the Jamboree and could tell you a few hilarious stories. Would I do it again? Heck yes. But for now, Id like to remind or tell you of a few disappointments.

Everyone has heard of the accidental deaths, (on two different days), as well as the extreme heat followed by a tropical storm that same evening.

There are thousands and thousands of good, well behaved Scouts in National Jamboree. Also, unfortunately there are some "bad apples" that are mixed in with them.

The physical destruction was amazing to me. Our subcamp showers and latrines were being replaced daily. (not fixed, not cleaned, but replaced. Daily.) I couldnt believe finding soda machines with 12 inch tent stakes hammered into the change reservoir. Hundreds of Scouts probably purchase Pepsi, Coke, Gatorade, Powerade, and etc. But it only takes a couple of bad Scouts to steal quarters and dollars from these machines. I will describe more, if anyone desires to P.M. myself.

On the positive side. Three troops from a council showed up with five boys with possible food poisoning enroute. They were not sure what made these boys on the bus ill, but believed it was a planned stop on the Interstate. The BSA and Army did not want more Scouts to become sick, if it was in any way contagious. These troops were quarantined for forty eight hours. Their buses were driven to the site, they off loaded, they were given orange/yellow reflective tape and the SMs/SPLs and subcamp staff negotiated the quarantine.

The BSA and U.S. Army Medical Corps did have a plan in case of this. On the good side, they were delivered air conditioned toilet and shower facilities during the quarantine. They also received movies a silver screen, a projector, and stage, a disco ball and light show and music. A few other Troops joked that they were feeling ill, so they could become quarantined. These Troops missed two days of Jamboree. But the staff made sure they were well entertained. Finally on day three they were released to enjoy Jamboree.

Another humorous story (now looking back on it)

The National Jamboree Public Address system, most military bases are now calling them "Big Voices". We were reminded to "Drink Water" every thirty minutes. Slightly ironic, the evening of the first arena show, after the heat wave and emergencies, we had a tropical storm with about 55 MPH winds. In all the hard rain, as campsites were turning into swamps, and tents and Scouts were getting soaked, we were still reminded to "Drink Water".

On the evening of the first Arena show, as Scouts were returning from the hospitals. We received our second to the last Scout at 0100. Our final Scout was placed in the Subcamp medical station for observation. After the severe heat, followed by a tropical storm and high winds, my troop finally went to our tents and sleeping bags at 0115.

I don't know if anyone remembers this one. At about 0200 the subcamp medical tent doctors lost our final Scout. About 10 minutes later, the Fort A.P. Hill "Big Voice" announcing system began calling for our Scout. It was the same voice that reminded us to "Drink Water" every thirty minutes and even during the rain. Military Police and Scout leaders from our Subcamp walked around the woods for over an hour, while the "Big Voice" called his name every five minutes.

I doubt many of National Jamboree will remember this lost Scout being announced throughout the entire Jamboree, because so many Scouts and Scouters were physically exhausted.

About 0330, our Scout was found.

Where?

In the cot, under a white sheet, on other side of the medical tent. He had gotten up, checked with the subcamp medical team if he may use the latrine. After he return, he climbed into the wrong medical cot.

At 0200, as the medical team did their hourly round of dehydrated Scouts in the tent, they found an empty cot, with his clipboard and Jamboree card. They found him in the other cot (only five feet away), during the 0300 rounds.

We are all Scouts, but I think there were about 40-50 Scouters and 100 MPs that wanted to have an impromptu committee meeting with the subcamp medical staff.

Other disappointments.

Finding daily visitors were able to stand in line for Jamboree events and participate in Action Alley and other events as the Jamboree participants. Honestly, it is disappointing to learn that 200-300 visitors are in the lines at 0900, before the Jamboree participants can even get to action alley. Some days your Scouts return to camp, never getting into an event that day.

I can appreciate the thought physical fitness is in the Scout Oath and one of our goals. But, if Scout from Southern or Northeast Region wanted to get to the Merit Badge Midway or other central events. You were better off walking the 5-6 miles rather than taking the bus. Thank goodness for the bus drivers jammed and over packed the busses. But there just were not enough busses, or a good plan to move Scouts. A bus trip would probably take about an hour (sometimes longer) to get to the front of a line and about an hour to make a trip within the Jamboree. Most bus trips took about two hours or longer.

Humorously, they advertised that there were night time events, such as an Order of the Arrow demonstration in the Indian Village near Merit Badge Midway at 1900. However, busses ended at 1600, and no Scouts were allowed on the streets after 1700. Honestly, how can troops attend evening demonstrations, if they are directed not to be on the streets after 1700? We never got any answers to this dilemma from our Subcamp executive staff or regional staff.

National Jamboree lunch was appreciated. You could get lunch from a few Kiosk placed thru the Jamboree. But on one day, the fried chicken that was to be served in these boxed meals did not pass the medical screening. The National Jamboree complained to the food contractor, but at 0900 in the morning, they had to obtain a fix to a problem to feed 60,000 Scouts by 1200. Another contractor was hired that day, to prepare cold cut sandwiches. Also, the number of lunches contracted for National Jamboree was incorrect and quickly became an issue on the final day of Jamboree. After releasing our Scouts at 0900 for the final day, and with one remaining lunch tab on the ID. All the subcamps were briefed of the mistake and that there was no lunch issue to the KIOSK. Thankfully, they quickly repaired this issue and issued a troop meal. But about 1100, Scouts throughout Jamboree, were told by the big voice to return to their unit for a 1200 lunch.

Finally, The final Area show. Let me state the fireworks were fabulous. After the arena show, we got what seemed to be a thirty minute huge, huge firework show. Finally if fell dark and quiet again. As most Scoutmasters were calling their troops to circle up together. BOOM! A single fire work flew up.

What happened next?

A larger, more spectacular (nearly thirty minute) firework show.

But before the fireworks show.

We watched a meeting of the Explorer Club and a stage show with a few Scouts participating. I believe it was Jim Fowler, who let a trained hunting Falcon fly off from his gloved arm. But the Falcon never returned.

While I recognize what these men and ladies have done, flying around the globe, diving deeper than anyone else, and climbing gigantic mountains. The final arena show was just not very entertaining to the youth.

What happened just seconds prior to the spectacular fireworks show?

If anyone can remember. The Explorer Club show with four Scouts discovering and having an adventure were booed off stage during the third of four acts. Imagine 60,000 Scouts. Booing. I dont think any of the Scoutmaster could do anything to prevent it. The show never finished. The roar of Boos became so loud. The lights were cut off, and the first fireworks lit up a BSA sign and fleur de lis over the stage. I hoped that Jims hunting Falcon wasnt nesting up there.

Bottom line.

Were there successes?

Yes.

Were there failures?

Yes

Is it worth it?

Well Im planning on going back in 2010.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

We took a group of Cub Scouts on a day trip to Jamboree 2005. We live about an hour away. They had a blast and were only able to participate in a small portion of the activities. We saw less than half of the grounds because we were only there one day.

Is it worth it? The boys will think so, although I can see the parents not wanting to put up the money. I'd make the boys fundraise for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a staff worker for security and parking in 2005. Since I have never had the chance to go to PHilmonet or Seabase, I was very happy to be able to go, mostly because my son went also, and my wife decided to give in (for once in 22 years)

I actually enjoyed meeting scouters, not only from around the US, but from other countries such as, Sweden, Australia, Germany, and England.

It was fun to talk to them.

I am from Minnesota and yes the heat effected me. I was not use to it, but I drank enough liquids when I needed to. A Jamboree in the winter here? Only if we can have it in the Metrodome. Not everyone can handle the heat like the scouters from the south. I feel the military and the scouters working with them did a very good job with heat related sickness, especially at the Jamboree arena show (the cancelled one). I was standing on duty at the top of the hill and people were dropping all around me. Everyone did their jobs and no one died on that night.

I feel every scout should try and experience the National Jamboree one time, if not for the exhibits and action centers, then for the broad spectrum of scouters you can meet from other states and countries.

• 3 months later...

I had the distinct honor of going to Jambo in 97 as a particpant, and in 2001 as a staff member.

I would highly encourage you to do both. It's a wonderful time, and both experiences are vastly different.

'97, I grew up. A lot. Jamboree really helped me mature as a young adult.

In 2001, I went back as a staff member on the Fire Department. That was the most fun I have, and even got to help save a couple lives along the way. My engine company was first due for the scout who was struck by lightning. I will *never* forget that experience.

Go, go. I won't be able to make 2010 as staff, and for that I am deeply saddened, but I will make it there, one way, or the other as a visitor.