From the BSA Board of Review Training -

The Eagle Palm Board of Review

Like the Eagle Scout board of review, the Eagle Palm board of review is an opportunity for you to learn. Listen carefully to what is being said.

The Scout before you will have accomplished much and will be approaching his 18th birthday. You should encourage the Scout to remain connected to the troop in a visible way. You should not be discouraged if a high school student is less able to devote his spare time to Scouting. Thus you may find that this Scout's activity with the troop is less than you would desire. However, you should be able to tell if a Scout is living up to the ideals of Scouting outside the troop as well as inside it. Again, always conclude these boards of review with words of encouragement. Eagle Palm boards of review are opportunities for you to have a give-and-take discussion with the very best in Scouting. Enjoy it.

Possible Questions

* How do you plan on contributing to the troop now?

* What are your goals for the troop?

* What are your personal goals?

* Will your Scouting experience help you?

* How do you fulfill your duty to country? To God?

A friend ran a palm board one evening on the trail at Philmont.

I ran a palm board at Scout Camp. It was a hot day, we actually did it in the pool during adult swim ... got dispensation for him.

Another board was at camp, watching sunset on the lake.

Much, much less formal. To me, a Palm board is about the future, not so much about the recent past.

I have three stock questions...

How are you taking what you've learned in Scouting and applying it to your schooling and your preparation for the future?

If someone walked up to you and accused you of being an Eagle Scout, would your life reflect it?

What obstacles do you see on the trail ahead? Which ones will require more than your own labor to tackle?