When to APPLY for alternate requirements

I have been studying the alternate requirements, and trying to put them into user friendly language for the ASM's of my troop. Everything I have read has given vague advice on how to help a boy succeed with the requirements as stated- no more and no less...so they do not have to make the request for an alternative. For instance, give him more time and permit use of special aids. The only specific idea I saw was that he can use a recorder to make a list. Can anyone give me some other specific helps, especially for the learning disabled?

• 5 months later...

We have a Scout with a seizure disorder whose doctor hit the roof when he found out he was swimming. He's not allowed to be in water without a special lifejacket.

>>I have approved alternative requirements for 1st Class swimming where the 11 y.o. scout was psychologically incapable of submerging his head, due to a recognized medical syndrome. In this case, I approved a set of alteratives which involved hiking. Ultimately, this scout was able to overcome his disability and earn the Swimming MB straight up.

• 1 month later...

And with all the run-around we''ve gotten trying to "do the right thing" and go through the Council Advancement Committee for the BSA Swimmer Test requirement of First Class Scout, I wish we had taken it up ourselves at Troop level to go ahead and make the alternate. But, I digress.... it is what it is!