Best Jamboree moment?

I went as a scout, my first one, first time being away for 17 days. I'm not sure how other troops do it, but our council, or district, not sure, sent 4 troops. Scouts were for the most part, randomly placed into one of the 4 troops. My home scoutmaster was one of the leaders, and I was a bit dissapointed I wasn't going to be in his troop. However, it was definately a blessing in disguise, and I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun had I been in his troop.

Meeting people was great, making new friends, and hanging out with old ones while walking down the roads as we saw patch traders all over the place was definately something I'll remember. Seeing younger scouts grow up was something I'll never forget.

But my best Jamboree moment was the last night. The 4 troops our council sent had a mach campfire, we used lights because fires were illegal, or so the leaders said. Anyways, there had to have been about 150 of us in all. As Scouts performed skits, I was laying in the back along with friends old and new, making jokes, laughing, and just reflecting on what we had gone through, and the things we were going to do when we returned home. And that night, we returned to our campsites, and slept under the stars, I could hardly sleep as I was eager to return home.

Moments like that are ones that have defined me as a scout.

• 4 weeks later...

My best jamboree moment was to see all the uniformed Scouts and Scout Leaders at the arena field waiting the see President Bush on stage. I also slept under the stars the last night because we broke down camp the night before we were to go home. All the patch trading going on was awsome!!

• 2 months later...

Best moment...well, I don't know if this classifies as best, but it's a good story anyway.

I attended the 1977 NSJ at Moraine St. Park, PA. We re-named the place More Rain, since it rained, torrentially, for 5 of the 7 days we were there. I may be exagerating the days, but it was quite an experience to say the least.

I had a fantastic time and will always remember this event as being a defining time in my life. I made friends that I will always remember and this is where my story starts.

One of the members of our troop was at that time the JASM. This was the first time a Jambo troop was required to have a Jr. Asst. SM. this young man had to compete for the job against 4 other young adults, including the contingent SM's own son. He was given the job and as you might imagine, the SM was not a big fan. The JASM had one friend in the adult leadership, the 1st ASM. The SM and the 2nd ASM never talked to him and treated him badly (we boys never saw this, but he told me this a few years back). The 1st ASM treated him with respect and kindness, included him in all the communications and activities, and to this day they are very close friends.

The young man that was the JASM is now our Council Commisioner, among other things, and is still the same person that went to the Jambo in 77. Last Wednesday night I attended a dinner to honor the current course director of our Wood Badge course, WE4-45-1-07. I'm not sure how other councils do this, but our council has a dinner to award the new Course Director (Scoutmaster) his 4th bead. They invite all previous course directors they know, regardless of council affiliation, to be guests. One of the 4 beaders that showed up was the 1st ASM of my Jambo troop. It was the first time I'd seen him since 1977. He had gray hair, but otherwise looked the same. I noticed him and introduced myself. We had a chance to chat for about 30 minutes, and it brought back so many wonderful memories for him and me.

I hope to run into him again some day, he is truley a gem.

Matt

1977 NSJ participant

2005 NSJ staff, Arts and Sciences Expo.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I was an Asst scoutmaster for a Jamboree Troop from the Council I serve in 2001. The closing show was rained out and the Jamboree had to scramble to put together a show truly thrown together at the last minute. A very veteran scouter from out west got on stage and played his saw like I hadn't seen since the days of Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour. His rendition of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" brought tears to my eyes and still brings tears whenever I think of it. Scouts in my troop couldnt beleive what they were hearing, music from a saw, the place was dead quiet save for the sound wafting up from the saw, truly memorable(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)