Planning for 2010 Boy Scouts of America Jamboree Has Already Begun

Planning for 2010 Boy Scouts of America Jamboree Has Already Begun

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050803/daw037.html

Wednesday August 3, 12:00 pm ET

FORT A.P. HILL, Va., Aug. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- As 43,000 Scouts, leaders and staff leave the 2005 National Scout Jamboree, planning is well underway for 2010 -- the 100th anniversary celebration of the Boy Scouts of America.

The Jamboree's Project 2010 Committee first met earlier this year to begin planning for the next National Scout Jamboree. The committee is chaired by Dick Burdick, International Commissioner of the BSA and chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Thermon Industries; Jerry Hasting, an executive with the Boy Scouts of America National Council, serves as the director of Project 2010.

The committee is tasked with reviewing the information gained during this Jamboree and making recommendations for improving the planning and procedures for the next National Scout Jamboree. They will review the after-action reports requested from volunteer staff members, and the reports of the committee chairs and Scouting professionals. Further, a special subcommittee is being formed to specifically focus on the Jamboree health and safety procedures ensuring they continue to receive top priority.

"Building character through fun, wholesome activities is the bedrock of Scouting's success, and safety continues to be at the forefront of all our planning," said Burdick. "We want to learn all there is to learn from what took place at Jamboree '05, and put it to work at our centennial celebration in 2010."

Roy Williams, Chief Scout Executive of the BSA, thanked the hundreds of professionals and volunteers in Scouting as well as personnel from the armed forces, area fire, police, and emergency response teams for their service during Jamboree.

"I want to express my deep personal appreciation, and the thanks of the Boy Scouts of America to all of these remarkable people," said Williams. "Through it all, the question that was asked by thousands of volunteers and dozens of agencies was 'What do you need?' or 'What can we do to help?' These folks are living examples of the Scout Oath to help other people at all times.

"I hesitate to specifically name individuals or agencies for fear of missing any one of the dozens who contributed so much. With advance apologies to anyone I miss, I'm going to try."

Williams recognized:

* All of the branches of our armed forces, including their reserve and national guard units, with special thanks to 1st Army, NORTHCOM, and FORSCOM

* Commonwealth of Virginia

* Rappahanock Emergency Medical Service

* Public Health Service

* Virginia Department of Emergency Management

* Caroline and Spotsylvania Counties

* Cities of Richmond, Fredericksburg, Bowling Green

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Boy Scouts of America