Travel IDs for airport & Code of Ehtics

just received this from our Jamboree SM -

---

Traveling Issues,

1) All scouts will need a state ID or passport for identification to board the plane.

2) Scouts and parents signed the "code of ethics" when completing the Jamboree application. Any serious misconduct may result in expulsion, at the participant's expense, from the Jamboree. We want each participant to be responsible for his own behavior, and only when necessary will the procedure be invoked to send the participant home from the jamboree.

Yeah, it is a policy of the Transportation Security Administration that anyone traveling by air must have official photo ID of some form (there is a list of exactly what all counts some place or another). So you can thank the Department of Homeland Security for that one.

Also, there is a long list of what can and can not be taken on an airplane as a carry on and in checked baggage. Everyone flying should pay close attention to these lists, unless you want to be fined, arrested, or loose the items in question.

You would classify them as potential members of "...the elite paramilitary organization, Eagle Scouts." Remember Red Dawn?

I would encourage anyone to get their passport. It is more useful than you think. I have used it when I have had to provide two forms of photo id. Eventhough I have never used it for travel outside the country, it has been handy.

Just a word of advice -

Allow PLENTY of time for your Jamboree troop to get thru any metal detectors! It took us forever in 1997. Service Stars, Belt buckles, belt loops, hat pins, etc. If you are touring DC, many of the attractions also have metal detectors. The most sensitive we found was at the Bureau of Engraving!

If you have a large number of scouts under age 15, they are not likely to have a drivers' license yet. Many schools issue photo IDs, or the parent can inquire if the state can issue a "non-driver" ID card for a boy that age.

If the school does not issue a photo ID, and your state doesn't issue ID to twelve-year olds, I'm not sure how the TSA would be accomodated. Guess I'd better check their website...

TSA: IDs required for those 18 and older. BSA: I found no reference in Jambo Leader Guide, but if anyone else did, please post.

Steve Hanson

Austin TX(This message has been edited by shanson786)

Most, if not all states, would issue them. Otherwise, how could they do passports?

BSA is saying, probably being told by Homeland Security people, that ALL people on the buses must have photo id. Military base guidelines I would think.

Hops is correct about ID cards, at least in the state of Texas, no age limit.

However, the State Department has the following information about passports for youth:

"For All Minors Under Age 14 :

"Each minor child shall appear in person.

All applications for children under 14 require both parents' or legal guardians' consent.

The parents show their (parents/guardian) identification.

"For All Minors Age 14 to 17

"Each minor child shall appear in person.

For security reasons, parental consent may be requested.

If your child does not have identification of his/her own, you (parent/guardian) need to accompany your child and present identification."

And the "all on the bus" ID requirement is indeed in the December '04 Jamboree Bulletin. My bad.

Steve Hanson

Austin TX

Actually hops was more on target than I was.

It is a thing with military bases.

When I went to Ft Knox even with the ROTC we all had to have photo ID and had to have them ready at the gate, event though we were there for official reasons, traveling as a group, and even on Army busses.

We recently hosted a lodge event at a regional National Guard training center. They required photo ID to let us in the gate.

Proud Eagle,

Your earlier post was on target regarding items to be carried on the plane. Looks like flyers will have to purchase matches or butane lighters after landing, or put these items in the equipment truck. We were just through several airports, and this appears to be something recent (though not allowed in checked bags previously). You will need something to light the stoves, though.

I don't know if the smokers can wait until the rendezvous with the truck! :)

Passports are easier to get than you might think. There are probably a couple of the bigger post offices in your area that have a window for you to present your ID, the passport application, etc. A birth certificate or citizenship certificate (in the case of my boys or other internationally adopted children) serves as ID for the minor child and proof of eligibility. They will then mail it to wherever the passport issuing office is for your area. They're serious about both parents giving consent - that's because once the child has a passport either parent could travel to some countries alone with the child (other countries require a signed consent form from the absent parent before they'll admit the minor child). You'll get the documentation back along with the passport in the mail. Watch your timing though - it can take a while and expediting it costs more.

If you google "passport application" I'm sure you'll get to the website for up-to-date info - it's been awhile since I had to deal with it...and as someone else already said, those passports have come in handy.

Vicki

here's the link for US passports -

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I'm debating getting our 14yr old Jamboree scout a passport for $87 and waiting the 6-8weeks, or just going to our local driver's license station for a State of Illinois issued photo ID for $20 all on the same day at the DMV...

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/idcards.html

ps56k, if it's just "6 of one, half a dozen of another" I'd get the ID card and skip the passport. We had other good reasons to get the passports since our boys' birth certificates don't prove citizenship and we do go back and forth to Canada every once in a while. I just checked our state's website and an ID costs $11. Hmmm.

Vicki

In our area, all the schools issue photo IDs. We use those when the young person doesn't have a DL. A few hundred boy scouts in an airport ought to be, in fact, a few hundred individual young people, no more, no less. And they should be treated using the same procedures as any other private citizen.

Unless we're going OCONUS, I prefer not to have to keep up with passports although I don't object if the boy insists (not that many have them anyway). FYI, I produce my official ID when going on base, even if the guard knows me personally. Get used to it. Remember a few years back when there were so many objections to the mere idea of a national ID card? H'mmm? Things have changed...permanently.