Got my catalog in the mail today. Some of the stuff is a little pricey.

But glad to see they still have the old style shorts at a good price!! Cheap shorts show off my knees better than expensive shorts.

I only glanced at it I will have a real look over the weekend.

Eamonn

My son is going to Jamboree for the first time this year. I'm sure he'll get a list of recommended gear to take, but I'm curious if any of you "experienced" scouters would post a list of absolute essentials based on your past trips.

It sure would help an anxious Mom out!

Thanks.

Bolo

Bolo,

I can't speak for other councils, but we provide each participant with a gear list. Later on, we will even tell them what needs to be packed in day packs, dufffel bags and a footlocker. Those are the only three pieces of luggage permitted and everything they take will have to fit in there.....no exceptions. The footlockers will probably go to Jambo by truck with all the tents and other equipment and the daypack and duffel will go on the plane and everything they need for touring will need to be in those pieces. We just provided a list of gear to our boys a few weeks ago with the explanation that we will tell them how to pack it at a later date. If you'll go to www.scouting.org you will find a link to the Jambo site. From there, go to the section that has newsletters and guides. The leader guide has a list of gear. The list we provided followed this list "almost" to the letter. If you read that guide, you'll have the same information that the adult leaders taking your son has.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of footlockers (and jambo people always seem to be), what sorts of footlockers are people taking? How big? Where purchased? How much? All that stuff.

My son and I are going for the first time. He's with the Council contingent and I'll be on housing staff.

Thanks.

- Oren

This is the one we are using.

32" x 17" x 12-1/4" h

price is about $24.99 ea

Here is a link to see the model we are using, Walmart sells them a few bucks cheaper.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=62806&CATID=250

We got duffle bags that the footlocker will fit into,

Hope this helps,

John Snediker

Palmdale, CA(This message has been edited by johnsned)

Wagion vigil on Merit Badge. net has posted a long and what looks like a very comprehensive list for people attending as Staffers.

Scouts need about the same stuff as they take to summer camp. Only you need to remember that they will be in one uniform or another for the entire time they are there. Two full Field Uniforms, with all the Jamboree patches on is enough. But the Activity Uniform (Shorts, belt, socks and T-shirt) You will need lots of!! There are still some cheap Jamboree Shorts in the catalog. I just bought 3 pair for my 16 year old - He is bigger than me so I will inherit his old ones. I paid $38.00 for the shorts he took to NOAC. These ones are only $16.00 for youth and $17.00 for Adult.

Lots of socks are a good idea. Last time we had washing machines (5 gal bucket and a toilet plunger) they worked fine. There are Laundromats on site, but the waiting time is about ten days!!

Good comfortable walking shoe or boots are a must. As is good rain gear.

I inherited my foot locker from my Father-in-law. But some of our Lads used a big plastic box, I think it was made by Rubber Maid, it had wheels that are no good and there is a hole for a padlock.

Someone told my Son not to take a foot locker, as there is very little room in the staff tents!! They said to take a big duffel type bag.

If you have someone show your little fellow the joys of hand washing and how a clothes peg works, he really doesn't need that much stuff.

Do be sure to put names on everything - When everyone is wearing the same uniform things can get mixed up.

We are providing our Scouts with fanny packs that hold two water bottles. When it's not raining it's hot. You both might want to think about some sort of water carrier. I'm sure that Hops has his camelpak?? ready to go.

Eamonn.

E, you know me alright!:) I'm actually looking at getting another one in the near future to take. Possibly one with a little extra space in it for some little gear. Couple biners and such to wear while just hanging around;)

• 3 weeks later...

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but what is the purpose of taking a footlocker AND a duffle bag? Help! Our SM has not recommended a footlocker. Is this recommendation for staff or participants?

Or both?

Appreciate a reply.

Footlockers. Most of the Lads in the Troop that is fortunate enough to have me as SM, already have footlockers. They trundle these beasts up to summer camp each year. I don't know if this is the case elsewhere?

I have never served on the Jambo Staff, but I have been informed that the living quarters are crowded a duffel bag would fit better either under or on top of a cot.

Most of the Lads that went with me in 2001 brought far more clothes and stuff than they really needed.

The footlocker is nice. Even if it is just to throw everything in and is a mess inside!! Chances are that when the rain comes and it will come the stuff inside will stay dry.

We are asking our guys to bring a small pack as we hope to break camp, load the truck and send it home the night before the last day. This will mean that we sleep under the dining flys and will need to pack sleeping bags, wash kits and the activity uniform in a bag for the trip home when we will want to look smart in our field uniforms.

Of course we are not traveling very far and don't need to worry about airline regulations and that good stuff.

Eamonn.

Eamonn...thanks for your quick reply. The footlocker suggested by Johnsned in above post looks pretty good, and affordable. And, you are right it would keep everything dry as opposed to duffel bag. I'll ask our SM at Jambo meeting on SUnday. We're riding the Gray mare up from S.C. so should be room.

Eamonn, I always enjoy and LEARN so much from your posts. Everytime I have a question I can always get answers on this site! Thanks to everyone here who shares their experience and knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the son and I have our footlockers and our packing list, Yesterday out Jabo stuff arrived. Verynice quality by the way. Don't know how I missed it but I forgot to order the neckerchiefs so I will ned to do that this week. This is my son's first and last Jambo so I let him order anything he wanted. Oh Well I guess college can wait a semester or two. :)

I plurged and got the broad rim shade hat, It is very nice quality and a little chearer than the Columbia equivalent.

Son got a staff shirt, the wicking t-shirt, back patch, belt buckle, belt, key ring, ball cap etc. etc...

Thats Ok I remembr my frist Jambo and I went a little nuts too, If I could do it over I wouldn't change a thing.

Remember BIG APPLAUSE when the scout band plays, that's my boy up there!

So far, I have gotten a pair of Jambo Scout shorts, the Jambo neckerchief, a Scout neckerchief slide, a bandana map, and a Jambo nameplate.

I hope to get a Jambo shirt, a couple stickers (one I'd like to have for my helmet) and the wicking shirt. I plan to be wearing the UA stuff under my t-shirts anyway.

I have also purchased a pair of Scout pants specifically because of the possibility of going to Jambo.

I've got quite a bit to do still. Need to get going on that I guess;)