Alright, as you know, I'll be going as staff. I know a number of you will be going as members of council groups.

Some gear needs will be different, some will be the same.

I'd like people who have been to suggest stuff to get whether it's on the lists or not.

Hi Hops,

You will need to check with the person in charge of the area in which you will be working, in case you might need any special or different equipment.

The Jamboree is just like a summer camp only a little bit longer. The staff are there for about two weeks.

I have never attended as a Staff member, so I may not have all the answer's.

Participants are expected to travel to and from the Jamboree in full Scout Uniform. What some people call "Class A". You can look up what it is on the National web site, but I feel sure you know what it is anyway!!

Your Council may have made a special Jamboree CSP, which you could wear and some OA Lodges also make Jamboree Flaps for OA members to wear. There is also the Jamboree patch, which you should get from National, in fact I think you get two, when you have paid all the required amount of cash.

I really don't know the rules about Staff members traveling or arriving in uniform. OJ is going with some guys from our Council and they are traveling and arriving in full uniform. I'm not sure if that is just them or if it is a rule?

Two full uniforms is enough. You do need them for the shows and you might need them for dinner depending on what the dress code is and you will need to wear it for church services if you plan to attend.

The rest of the time you will be in the Activity Uniform, what some people call "Class B." This means that you will need a good supply of Scout socks and shorts. If you can wash these out in your free time, you can cut back a little. I took 6 pairs of shorts and 8 pair of socks. But that was just me!! There are a few Laundromats on site. I found late at night the best time to find the machines free.

The weather when it's not raining is hot, very hot. When we arrived in 2001 it was over 100 degrees. There is no escape from the heat. Light colored T-shirts are better than dark colored ones and you need to drink lots and lots of water.

When it's not hot it is raining. When it rains it really does come down. I bought a cheap rain suit and it was worthless. I have upgraded to a good gore-tex one. A good quality poncho would work and be a lot cheaper.

By far the quickest way to get around the site is by walking. There are buses but they tend to be slow and very full. You do need good quality walking boots/ shoes to get around in, remembering that when it's hot your feet will sweat and when it rains you will need to keep your feet dry.

Keeping your kit dry is a problem, last time the tents that the staff had leaked a lot!! Plastic garbage bags work good.

You need about the same stuff as you take to summer camp.

I carry a small bottle of antibacterial soap, as there never seems to be any in the bathrooms and a small supply of TP, because the cleaning crews always seem to use a very big hose!!.

Phone cards to phone home are a good idea, keeping a cell phone charged might be easier for staff members, but isn't that easy for participants.

You need to bring everything with you that you need. The trading posts are well stocked but don't carry everything. With all the security getting off the site and back on again is not going to be easy. So if you think that you can't live without something you need to bring enough for your entire stay.

I recommend that you bring a small first aid kit, with some over the counter medications in. There are really good First Aid posts all over, but things like talcum powder, and allergy pills if you need them, you should talk to your parents about bringing them with you.

I heard that the staff sleeping areas were very crowded last time. My knowledge of Scouter's is that they tend to be very noisy sleepers. I can sleep through anything, but some people do need something to help block out the noise!!

Sun screen is a very good idea.

The food for the participants was good last time. I heard different reports from different staff as too how their food was. The staff eating area and food for sub camp 4 last time was really good. The kitchen was staffed by some people out of NJ. I was a frequent visitor.

With the heat and the insects personal hygiene is very important, you do need a good wash kit.

Of course if you do forget something this is an over-sized Scout Camp and if you tell someone I'm sure they will do everything that they can to help you.

Eamonn

Hops,

I went in 1997 as a Staff Member. You don't need to travel or arrive in uniform. Besides your uniforms, take clothes that you can get dirty in. You will arrive about three to four days before the Jamboree starts to help set up your area. When doing this wear regular clothes. I used a plastic tote about 3 1/2' long by 1' high by 18" wide to keep my things in. It travels great and can slip under your bunk. You will be sleeping in military tents on military cots provided for you. You might want to check that out. When I went they were provided. I also took a wooden platform the same size as my tote. When the rain comes, and it will, it keeps the tote off the mud. A carpet remrent of maybe fake grass is good to put your feet on in the morning. Creature comforts are important for the staff as you will be there for two weeks.

Dancin

Yes...heat will be a problem. Camblebacks are okay, but better would be a small to med. size cooler for cold water, drinks, and ice to go in the Camleback.

Would also suggest polarized sunglasses, chalk, head gear that protects the ears, and the back of the neck, plus a high SPF sunscreen....over than that, just follow the gear list that should be coming your way shortly...

For time off...a good roadmap of the area. Bush Gardens, Water Country USA, and Williamsburg are just a short drive away, and might be something you'd be interested in. If you should go to Williamsburg, know that there a pretty good deli acros from the College of William and Mary...

Good info, thanks! This will be my 1st Jambo since 1969 and I'm as excited as when I was 15!

A few other questions... What do you suggest as travel gear - canvas duffel, footlocker, or what? Is there electrical hookup in the staff tents? Do you recommend skeeter netting to sleep in?

Hop's

I'm also going as staff. My contact person sent us a long list of suggested items and how to store/transport them. I'm sure there is a way to get you a copy if you would like.

Anybody from Michigan/norther Ohio going that wants to share a ride out?