The December National Jamboree Bulletin #11 states that everyone on the bus will need a photo ID.

Some of the younger Scouts might not have a student ID.

To the best of my knowledge this is something new, I know we didn't have them in 2001.

Eamonn

This is new for the Jamboree. Because of 9/11 security has been tightend and each bus will have a special sticker to place in the window. Everyone on the bus will have to have picture ID including the driver whoose license will have to be valid. The bus or buses will have to meet their equipment trucks at least 7 miles from the jamboree and come into the gate together. No one can arrive before 6:30 am or after 4:00 pm. You have to fill out a form and let them know where you are spending the night before the 25th and what time you will arrive.

Dancin

The Troop Transportation Advisory Instructions state:

Buses bringing the Scouts and leaders and their equipment vehicles must arrive together. To facilitate this, council contingents/troops need to rendezvous with their equipment vehicle at least seven miles away from the fort. This step is not optional-it is a security requirement. Everyone on the bus will be required to have a photo ID (school ID is acceptable), and drivers must have a valid driver's license. I

Yes, The photo ID must be from some official activity. Like it says School ID's are ok, Most Motor Vehicle Depts will issue a non-driver ID. They need something. I would not take my scouts out of the local area without some kind of photo ID in this day and age.

I don't think that getting one will be a big problem.

I just wanted to make everyone aware so that no little Lad is turned away at the gate.

I don't know what you have do in PA. To get a non-driver ID, but I'm very friendly with our school superintendents, so I feel sure that they will do what they can to help.

Eamonn

Trevorum,

We also made our own ID's for last Jambo for our Jamboree troop. It had Leader cantact info on back if you got lost while on tour.

But I would not chance it. I know on the base where I work in NY the least ID they will take is a school ID, THey really want a state issued one. It would be a shame to hold a whole troop up because they don't like one scouts ID. Depending on Threat level entry may be reletively easy, but if threat level goes up then entry will be harder.

The next thing they will face is having trucks Scanned which will hold them up anyway for a while if they scan them like they say they are right now.

Paul

While this may seem a hastle to some, those of us that live and work on a military base put up with it on a daily basis. It really isn't that big a deal. I personnaly cannot imagine a council contigent traveling all over the US heading to the Jambo and not having a way to positively ID its members. In today enviroment?

Maybe I don't get out much, but where would you go that you envision a group of Scouts being required to show photo IDs? How is security enhanced by someone checking that a 12-year-old kid has his school ID with him?

When you show your ID on the way to work, the key part of the security process occurred when you were issued the ID, not when you show it at the gate. If National wants to go to the trouble and expense of issuing actual credentials so security people can verify that you are who you are and that you are authorized to be at the event, that's a different story. But requiring a school ID or something the troop cobbles together with a digital camera and laminating machine is nonsense.

• 3 months later...