I am looking into taking my troop to Virginia the week of Jambo. The tentative plan is to visit jambo one day and then visit historical places.

I have a quick question I heard that a troop can't get a tour permit to stay within 100 miles of fort AP Hill that week. Is my information correct?

Hi the information you need is on the Jamboree Web page, which you can get to when you visit the National site

www.scouting.org.

Last time I looked I thought I seen it was only 50 miles.

The Jamboree is a great place to visit. You might want to time your visit for to coincide with one of the big shows either the opening or the closing. The President who ever he might be does have an invite to attend. Four years ago he was unable to as the show was delayed and he sent a taped message. While having the President visit the Jamboree is a great honor for those there and for the BSA. I feel the security involved will be a nightmare. So you might want to avoid that day. Of course these shows are at night and if you have a young troop them getting back to where ever you are end up at a late hour might be something that you might want to think about.

Eamonn.

• 1 month later...

The quick answer is: Yes and No:-) Depending on where you get your tour permit,(regional or local)the rules might change.

What I have read from National is that staying within 50 miles of AP Hill during the Jambo is "forbiden" by National Office. And remember, the Jambo is 10 days long.

Another complication for visitors is the security issue. If the national threat level is at four or five, AP Hill will not allow visitors into the Jamboree. Those already inside will be ok, or so I am told.

In any event, try to visit the jambo,it is a great experience!

My troop has been doing trips like this for each of the last several Jambos.

We usually drive up before Jambo, tour some stuff like one of the civil war battlefields, then go on to tour Baltimore or some other place, then do a visit at Jambo, and also hit the major attractions in DC. It makes for one heck of a trip.

However, this year the start of school is less than a week after the start of Jambo, so we may scrub the trip this year.

• 3 months later...

OK, I promised I wouuld let the cat out of the bag once I had our arrangements made. Here it is. What you heard is correct, but I think it is 50 miles. Here is how you get around it. Less than 20 miles from AP Hill is Paramounts Kings Dominion Theme Park. Our Venture Crew has camped there for several years for a summer break. They are offering large fields for scout troop during Jamboree. How you get around the tour permit issue is "take your scout parents, all of them" It is now a large family campout. But you will need to make your reservations with the theme park as a scout unit to get their group discount. a day trip to Jamboree, and a day trip to the theme park. Reduced admission to the park also. Go to www.kingsdominion.com and get the number for the campgrounds for info. See you there. We qwill be there the July 29 through 31.

ASM1

I'm sorry ASM1,

The National office has requested that troops do not camp within 50 miles of the Jamboree site.Finding loop holes or ways around the request is just plain wrong.

The example it sets for our youth members is dreadful.

I hope you will reconsider.

Eamonn.

I agree, it takes away from the Jamboree experince if you do such a thing. Either go to the Jamboree as a constigent or do no go at all. It takes away from everyone who is attending the Jamboree if you are invading the area in which you clearly are not supposed to be, there are no loopholes in scouting just stupid choices and that is one of them.

CTBoyScout101