• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The web site says 50 miles which doesn't make much sense. First they tell you to visit and then go see other stuff but they say, "don't stay nearby." So if you want to visit DC and see the Jamboree, you need to stay waaaay far away from one or both. Stay so far away that you have to spend half the day driving. 50 miles from AP hill is Richmond, Alexandria, and Manassas, Va. Does this mean that a troop from Manassas can't go camping at the local park?

F.O.G.

FYI: Alexandriais 72 miles from AP Hill, and Mannassas is 68 miles from AP Hill. Only scouts from Richmond (49.2 miles from AP Hill) would be inconvenienced if they tried to camp localy for those ten days in 2005.

Thanks for making me check.

• 2 months later...

I am wondering about the 2005 Jamboree Patches. The 2001 Jamboree had 4 different patches,,for participants (Youth and Adult), for visitors, and for staff. Are they doing the same thing for the 2005 Jamboree..We are thinking about visiting and some of the scouts want to know and the Official WebSite says nothing but they want Troops to Visit the Jamboree...And scouts old and young like patches..There has been alot of talk about the 50 mile limit..The website says that National would not authorize any permits for troops to stay within 50 miles of the Jamboree site and has asked local councils to review each National permit submitted..Some of you mention a 250 mile limit..This must be a local council policy for it is not National BSA Policy. Alot of postings have mentioned why..I can only guess for BSA has not said..But if I was a tired travelor on I95 I would hate to drive from DC to Richmond being tired for all the Motels were booked for 2 weeks..I am just guessing..and they are asking for visits of only one day..So another reason could be if you did camp at a nearby park or nearby motel you could visit more than one day. The 50 mile limit could discourage this for troops would have to drive more than 50 miles to and than from the Jamboree site..But I am just guessing though...

wxfcstr You asked about patches... from what I have heard and seen in our council contingent meetings, the patches for particpant youth and participant adults are almost identical (same colors including the border)except that the adult patches are about 1/4 inch larger in diameter. I have not seen the Staff version, nor have I seen the Visitor version, but I am confident that they will still have these variations as they have done in the past. I am sure that the visitor versions will be for sale in the online Jambo trading post, when it goes on line, and at the Jamboree proper.

The 50 mile rule was made before my time, but it is as you surmised, to discourage non-participant troops from visiting the Jambo day after day, because they are staying just across the street.

More later.

wxfcstr and Scoutmaster253,

I have the good fortune of serving on staff for next year's National Jamboree and have received my first jamboree patch. It is the same as the adult patch that Scoutmaster253 mentions. It looks like there will be a youth and adult patch with the only difference being the size. I have seen no visitor patch and hope there isn't one.

To: Blade1158

Why do you hope that there is no visitors patch...?? The boys may night have been able to afford it or there is only so much room..I know our council in Ohio there is a pretty long waiting list.So every scout that wants to go can go as a registered participant...At least the visitors patch will signify that they went and had the scouting expierence..and the correct way to wear the visitors patch is centered on the right pocket where the temp patches go...For only Registered participants can wear the National Jamboree Patche ABOVE THE RIGHT POCKET per the BSA Uniform Guide...So,,if you see a scout or leader wearing a Visitors Jamboree Patch with the black border,(Like the 2001 Patch), ABOVE the right pocket, you would correct in telling them they are not wearing the patch in accordance with BSA Policy and the Uniform Guide...Than you can tell or show them the correct way to wear the visitors patch..Thanks..

i know that more people that get the patch, any jamboree patch. the less significant the patch becomes and less valuable..Is that why you are against the visitors patch...I know someone here is also against it for they will spend close to $1500 for the patch and the right to go and for visitors to go for one day and get a patch,,regardless if it is a visitors patch or not, they feel is not right...But as a visitor one cannot particapate in any of the activities..is also something that a scout or leader needs to think about when going just for one day..There are arguments on both sides..

sam

I feel very strongly that those who paid the Jamboree fee ought to be the ones who get to do the stuff. They paid for it.

I am not a great collector of patches and Scouting memorabilia. I think that anyone who makes the effort to visit the Jamboree should be able to buy whatever souvenirs that are on sale. Sure I like the idea that the Jamboree participants have their own special patch, but I see no reason why a patch for all those that visit and are willing to pay for a visitors patch can't be made available.

I also wonder how long it will take for the participant patch to go on sale on E-bay?

Eamonn.

PS. We will be Jamboree troop 412.

I agree with Eamonn on the visitors patch. I went in 1997 as staff and purchased a visitor's patch. When I go again in 2005, I will again purchase some visitors patches. If anyone would like to come visit, we will be in the central region, sub-camp 11, Troop 1113.

Dancin

Like the previous posts replied, I see nothing wrong with a scout/scouter getting a wearing a visitors patch as long as they wear it the correct way..Centered on the Right Pocket..FOR ONLY REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS can wear the National Jamboree Patch ABOVE THE RIGHT POCKET..That showed that they did indeed participate and wear the Patch that signifies that..

I mispoke myself in a earlier post when I said "So every scout that wants to go can go as a registered participant". That should have said, "So every scout that wants to go CANNOT go as a registered participant." But if they make the effort and expense to go visit,,they should be allowed to not only buy stuff but wear the stuff..AS long as they conform to BSA Uniform Policies..

I believe National will have a visitor's patch for sale, because they would be throwing away big bucks to NOT have one. And National has never missed a chance to make a few bucks from patch sales.

I am troubled by the emphasis on the patches. The jamboree is intended as a celebration of scouting, brotherhood, scouting values, and much, much more. For me, to focus so much of our time on these artifacts detracts from the event.

I do wish that every scout could go to the Jamboree, but before I feel sorry for them, I remind myself that every scout has an equal opportunity to go if they only acted early enough, or if they worked hard enough.

Today, the Jamboree STILL needs hundreds of youth and adults staffer to man the various events and activities. Too young to go as staff in 2005? Get ready to go in 2010. And start preparing TODAY.

wxfcstr,

I think that only those who are participants or staff should wear a jamboree emblem of any kind. We are the ones making major investments of both time and money to go to the jamboree, this can be a commitment that can last a couple of years. I started saving nearly a year ago, I serve on my council's jamboree committee, I will have some kind of staff training this fall. Participants will have pre-jamboree training as well as other activities. The jamboree is the BSA's premier event, once every four years. Going as a participant or on staff, in my opinion, is a very big deal and wearing a jamboree emblem should reflect that. Visiting just doesn't measure up.

I do agree with Scoutmaster253, national won't pass up the opportunity to make money by selling a visitors patch.

Even though I am a patch collector, it isn't about the patch or its potential value. I collect because I like patches, not because they may be worth something. The patch represents the event and indicates that one has participated in it. And patch trading, if done in the proper spirit, allows you to talk to alot of people from all over the country.

Eamonn, a couple of 2005 Jambo patches have already appeared on ebay. One went for around $40, the other auction didn't reach the reserve set by the seller.

I'll be in subcamp 12, activities and mobilization staff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple things. First, many years ago when I was a scout we attended Jamboree two times. It was back in the late 60' early 70's. Being a scout I do not know how the contingent was formed nor do I care. It worked and I will never forget it. Now we move to the present. I do not know how it is done in your council but in this council we have a Jamboree Committee who decided who will be allowed to attend and they form a troop with selected adults and scouts. Maybe this is fine, but I don't think so. It is apparent that our committee is very clique driven. If your not in the clique, your not going, scout or scouter. That is just plain wrong. No one here can justify it and say it is right. We have many Eagle Scouts who did not, and will not make the troop to attend Jamboree. Nor will several Wood Badge trained leaders. They just do not fit the clique.

Now Tour Permits and 50 miles. If you plan on attending Jamboree as a guest, just do it. Our troop has talked about this for many hours and we have a solution. After we make our camping reservation and secure our spot, I'll let you in on it. But to tell you now would only fill the spots and leave us out. Sorry. We will be making our reservation within 2 weeks.

And for participation. our troop has no intention of participating in events that participants have paid for. We are only going to see the ocean of scouts and scouters and to associate with other scouts and scouters from around the country. If your visiting, do not try to participate.

ASM1

I feel sorry that you are unhappy with the way your Council handles the Jamboree selection process. We do have a Jamboree Committee. All the guys who sit on this committee have had previous Jamboree experience, many will be attending the Jamboree as Staff Members.

Our selection of youth is very easy. It is first come first served. There really is no selection. The parents are informed about the payment schedule and are given a outline of what other expenses they will run into. All the Scoutmasters are asked to encourage any and all of the Scouts to apply and are made aware that money is available to help boys who need help.

We are a small Council with only four Districts. We send two troops to the Jamboree. We divide the Council into two halves. Until the troops get their troop numbers they are called the North Troop and the South Troop.

The selection of Jamboree Adult Leaders, is started by a notice in the Council Newspaper. All interested leaders are asked to apply. Sad to say we were not over burdened with applicants. We had a lot of people who wanted to be the 3rd Assistant. Most of these were young guys who attended last time. We as a Council do try and send a leader who has attended before, hopefully a leader who was an ASM. Sad to say none of the people who attended the 1997 Jamboree came back in 2001. All of the Leaders were new. Both the Scoutmasters asked the Jamboree Committee if it would be possible for them to return in 2005. I was one of the Scoutmasters. We felt that while the Jamboree was a great experience for everyone that attended in 2001, we could do a better job if we were allowed to return. As things worked out we had a hard time filling the positions that were left. I am sure that there are a lot of reasons why. I did hear that some leaders felt it was too much money. Some Leaders didn't want to use that much vacation time, while others didn't want to not miss out on their troops summer camp.

Our South Troop now troop 412, asked for youth applicants from both districts. For some unknown reason only one Scout from one of the Districts applied. All of us, the Leaders, the Jamboree Committee were really surprised with this and did make special trips to the Round-table meetings to try and drum up support all to no avail.

Both troops have now been full for over a year, we have a waiting list. Some of those that are now going were on the waiting list have now moved up to become troop members. There are still four boys on the list. We feel sure that we will be able to find spots for them with near by Councils that will not fill all of their spots.

Eamonn.