Scouting spin off group?

Hey folks, has anyone ever heard of this group? http://www.facebook.com/snecyouth It looks like they are affiliated with the 7th Day Adventist, they seem to me a cross of scouting, religion, military? (just by looking at the uniforms in the photos). Any info? Some of their uniforms borrow heavily from Scouting.

*Edit* Apparently their group is called Pathfinders.(This message has been edited by Broken)

*Edit 2* Huh, apparently it is the youth group of the adventist church. Learn something new every day.(This message has been edited by Broken)

There are various groups out there, mainly formed by certain churches.

There is Royal Rangers.

There is Anwan (sp?)

There is Christian Service Brigade.

I can tell you that RR and CSB are almost a copy of the BSA. RR even has a OA-like group, but based on mountain stuff. The older CSB manuals I have look like copies of BSA literature (and the group was formed by a former BSA scouter).

I don't know how familiar some of you are with the Royal Ambassadors, or RAs. Most of the boys in my church, including me, were involved in it. It was a boy's Southern Baptist missions program and had some Scouting influences. I was even a member of the RA's and Cub Scouts at the same time, though the RA group was viewed as more of a church activity.

All of these groups are just fronts for religious indoctrination programs. These are not programs which focus on the outdoors. These are adult constructs designed to pre-program youth to believe a particular way before they are able to choose for themselves.

Hey the SpiralScouts support paganism.

I believe they call it "Wicca." And I believe that they allow in members of any religion, including atheists. But I believe the organizers of the group are Wiccans and much of the symbolism, terminology, etc. is derived from Wicca.

As in every belief system (or non-belief system. Hello, Merlyn), it is incumbent on the adult/parents to teach the young folks that which is held as important, the truth if you will. Religion, science, politics, nutrition, whatever. BSA24, I hope you do the same. And THEN allow your young folk to "choose for themselves".

It is what parents are supposed to do. Give our children something to accept and embrace or reject and rebel against. It's what we do (whether we admit it or are even aware of it) and what they do (same thing). I have two stepsons, a daughter and another son (funny, my good wife has a stepdaughter, two sons and another son). Some have rejected our faith, some have actively embraced it, some told us we were stupid shills for a religion (quote) and years later came to worship with us.

I hope you, BSA24, recognize the inevitability of the situation. Some things you can affect, somethings you must just shake your head and smile at and pray (or hope) for their happiness in their choices.

YiS&C

BSA24 writes:

"These are not programs which focus on the outdoors."

That would be exactly wrong in the case of the above cited Baden-Powell Service Association. :)

BSA Scouting is designed to get indoor boys to Eagle without ever walking into the woods with a pack on their backs. Baden-Powell's Scouting requires a series a series of unsupervised backwoods adventures of increasing difficulty, starting with a solo (or buddy) 14 mile overnight for First Class.

BSA units usually squeeze an entire Troop into a campsite about the size of an end zone so that adults can manage the "controlled failure" of leadership theory. Baden-Powell's Patrol System spreads Patrols a football field apart, meaning that none (0%) of the "20 nights of camping" that most BSA counselors accept for Camping Merit Badge would count above the Cub level in B-P's program.

BSA "One & Done" Scouting is designed to knock off all the Tenderfoot through First Class outdoor skills at a Scout's first week of summer camp. Baden-Powell's First Class badge indicates a Scout's current proficiency in outdoor skills through constant retesting, similar to the proficiency we expect from a BSA Lifeguard.

BSA Merit Badges are based on the YMCA's night school Scouting program with the goal of introducing Scouts to potential careers and/or hobbies. Baden-Powell's Proficiency Badges are all based on advanced outdoor (and public service) skills for boys who love the outdoors. This is similar to sports teams: A boy joins a hockey team to play hockey, not to do personal management homework.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net