Not sure where this fits best, so thought I would put it in open discussion. Mods, feel free to move it as you see fit.

I just discovered that Google Maps has a new (to me, at least) option which, when preparing directions, allows you to request directions best suited for bicycling. It avoids interstates and other busy 4 lane highways, and appears to prefer designated bicycle routes and trails. Just click on the bicycle icon above the destination fields. There are others, in addition to automobile, for walking and public transportation.

Playing around with it for my area, it appeared to select the most bicycle-friendly routes for the trips I entered.

That has been around for about 2 years now and you do need to use it carefully. It will sometimes put you on very busy state routes. And just because it shows something that is said to be bike path, does not mean that said path has actually passed the planning stages and been built yet. It has directed me to a couple paths that I know have not been worked on past the acquisition of the right of way (as in not even cleared enough to walk there!).

Great starting point, but not a substitute in any way for double checking a route or noting an alternate before hopping on your bike.

No substitute for a pre-ride or if you can check from the road a drive-by. Google maps and a couple of other map ing services have shown bicycle trails that are planned but not yet built in this area, or that were open but are now closed for construction.

In this area our local bikes shops, while in competition, have joined forces to support the local bicycle club/advocacy group "SpringBike" - they are a great source for what is actually open. Does anyone elses area have that kind of arrangement or is it bike shop by bike shop?