Happy to see that Cooking mb is back as a required merit badge. Cooking skills are sorely lacking in the youth. Sustainability mb could be interesting.

Sustainability becomes an alternate to Environmental Science mb after the National Jamboree in 2013 and Cooking mb becomes required on January 1, 2014.

When I talk to the Mom's this seems one of the skills they assume the boys will take them into adulthood. We push the Cooking MB in our Troop but many boys avoid it. I see this as a good thing if they don't kill the Cooking MB requirements into boredom in a rewrite.

If only we had a sewing MB....

'bout time! I think I still have my cooking mb patch with the all important white border stashed away somewhere at home.

TT you're right, this is one of the skills parents think important for their scout to succeed in life. And while my son never earned this badge while in the program we considered cooking an important part of program in our troop. It's very evident now that he is a young man. He can cook well enough from scratch to take care of himself without resorting to , as I call it, meal assembly of prepackaged, precooked garbage. Now, idf only he could clean the kitchen as well as he cooks.

According to the link, "Cooking, meanwhile, will become Eagle-required as of Jan. 1, 2014."

It also says, that if you have previously earned it, that will count. So you can start working on it now. I assume that if you haven't had your EBOR by 1/1/14, you will need it.

New comments to the blog by the author, who may not be the expert on the topic, say that the requirements in place when a boy begins working on Eagle apply. So, a Life scout starting on December 31, 2013, could technically choose the old requirements. Nevertheless I would not rely on a technicality if I were working on it.

There is a thread about the same general subject under Advancement (it has "Sustainability" in the title) and I made a longer comment there.

It is good to see Cooking back as a required MB (I also have the silver-edged version from way back when) but I think they should have cut out 1 or 2 of the other requireds at the same time.

They also may have overdone it on the number of new technology-related MB's, though I guess I understand why they did.

It will be interesting to see the requirements for the "Sustainability" MB and how they differ from Environmental Science, which will become alternative/required badges.

Sustainablity Merit Badge. Sounds like the liberals are making inroads into BSA.

Yeah, yeah, I expected something like that as soon as I saw the word "sustainability." At least you gave it a "smile."

Well, you know those liberals. The next thing you know they'll want to have a "Citizenship in the World" merit badge and make it Eagle-required. Oh, wait...