This is hot off the press...

BREAKING: The resolution to use the Scout Oath and Scout Law for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity, Sea Scouts, and Venturing was approved this morning by the Boy Scouts of Americas executive board. Some of the changes begin in 2013-2014. Read more on Bryan on Scouting: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/10/17/bsa-to-use-scout-oath-and-scout-law-for-all-programs/'>http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/10/17/bsa-to-use-scout-oath-and-scout-law-for-all-programs/

I think that it is a good move in the long run.

What are your thoughts?

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/10/17/bsa-to-use-scout-oath-and-scout-law-for-all-programs/

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, Fred?

In 12 years you've never met a Cub Scout who has ever earned a rank badge? Since Bobcat is required before all other ranks, and the first requirement is learn the Promise and Law of the Pack, EVERY Cub Scout, Den Leader and Cubmaster I've met knows them.

But ho hum, I really don't care. Seems like tinkering for the sake tinkering. Like a dog wizzing on a bush just so other dogs know he's been there.

And implementation isn't until 2015. They must really feel strongly about this!

So much for Rudyard Kipling...

No more "Law of the Pack" ,therefore no more need for Akela, or BALOO, or the (already abandoned) animal prgression of size and strength.

Might as well not have CUB Scouts. Mowgli was a Cub, you know. Might as well call'em , oh I don't know, if the older ones are "Boy" Scouts, maybe "Kid" Scouts or "Young" Scouts or "Sprout" Scouts or "Wannabe" Scouts or "Apprentice" Scouts, or...

I still favor the gradation , the transition. Most traditions, societies (tribes?) have a transition from Childhood to Adulthood. Yeah, I know , this isn't from that to this, but it is a passing on from a younger, less responsible time (Cubs)to an older, (Boys) more self-responsible time. The differences in the Promises recognizes that. The continuation of the CSP and LotP and the SP/O and SL is a natural one. I did not see the artificiality of the Venture Promise as necessary, but it is a more abstract, philosophic view. But once again, if you subscribe to the SP/O and SL, why another version?

I too see it as not so much an improvement as a change because we can.

As someone who is involved on both the Pack and troop level this is a welcome change. My only concern is it will be harder for cubs to memorize, but it will make the transition easier and imply greater continuity among the units. Those are all good things. Good call.

I see a major rewrite of the cub scout rank requirements. While some of the cub scout core values line up with the points of the scout law, most do not, and cub scout requirements are driven by the 12 core values.