So ok new sheriff in town.....

Scout comes up to me Mr. B I need a POR for my rank, what can we do......Well we could use a youth quartermaster, I run the job description, scout says its too much work.....Well we could use a youth librarian......run the job description, hmmmmmm still to much work for the young man...... Historian......too much work...Grubmaster too much work.....

I sent him on his way to think about what he would like to do.......

So how do ya deal with fellows like this...

Reminds of a wacky Job interview.... maybe make it work.

Scout: I need a POR for rank without looking like work and does not require me to do look I have to produce anything.

SM: Well how about my job? It comes with a exclusive Uniform patch, a Troop car, special appearances at Round Table and Popcorn kickoffs, a Troop vacation package that includes over 30 days of vacation as long as you like camping all year?

Scout: That's crazy, Mr. SM!!!

SM: You started it....

The destination is measured by the steps you took to get there.... if you skip a bunch of steps the value of the destination diminishes. Life is experienced on the journey.

I think you handled it fairly well. I'd probably sent him off after librarian.

Yah, for sure. I reckon I might have sent him off after da Quartermaster comment. "Ah, OK, well, yeh asked me for a suggestion and that was my suggestion. Come back when yeh feel like you're ready to work and we can talk with da SPL about whether he thinks you'd be OK for the job. Otherwise, elections are in 4 months."

Yeh don't argue or lecture about this stuff, and yeh don't accommodate it or waste time on it either, eh? Da beauty of the BSA system is that yeh just behave normally and all da consequences and lessons happen naturally. You're not ready to work, then you're not ready for rank.

Beavah

The new guide to advancement says it pretty well: to earn the time served, the scout must DO SOMETHING.

So I've asked each scout in a POR to get with their ASPL and define what they will do during their tenure. That's what they will be held to. I'm afraid some won't meet what they have written down.

"I've asked each scout in a POR to get with their ASPL and define what they will do during their tenure. That's what they will be held to."

You mean actually write down a set of expectations and goals and then expect the scout to do his best to live up to them?

Oh my.

(sarcasm OFF)

"So I've asked each scout in a POR to get with their ASPL and define what they will do during their tenure. That's what they will be held to. I'm afraid some won't meet what they have written down."

I can hears some parent crying "You're adding to the requirements"! I'm gonna start doing this, thanks for the idea.

BD, Good response, let the scout figure it out.

Personally, I'd take Librarian, Historian and QM off the table since he turned them down. But that's just me, I don't tolerate lazy very well.

You could assign him a leadership project that will help the troop. I've got a scout who is setting up and running an open house/recruitment day for us. He is setting up the program (an all day event with lots of activities) and visiting all the Webelos dens in our area and inviting them.(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

I solved the problem of lazy POR's by not assigning them. They were to journal any work they did towards their 4/6 month requirement and present it to the BOR to see it it's enough. If a patrol wanted a boy to be PL, so be it, he recorded his time and efforts. If a boy took on the task of inventorying the troop gear, he recorded his time and efforts, etc.

Usually at the SMC I would review their journal, and basically inform them when they asked if it was enough, - "I hope so." :)

The boys were measured on work, not time when it came to POR's.

Stosh

Frustrating. Yeah they gotta DO something.

I am working with the ASPL (as assigned by my SM)on some the boys who have the non-leadership POR's (Librarian, Scribe, etc). Yeah expect them to do something.

Had to chat with out oft-absent Bugler who did Bugle for the COH. Turned out he left at half time, changed into his uniform, biked to the COH, Bugled, and returned. So he actually put SOME effort into it.

I think the extended discussion was more than the boy deserved.

I usually have them read the descriptions in the book, and they may come back to me if they found one they can make it work.

I have a pair of leaders in the crew right now who don't want to hold a particular position. They don't want to take ILSC! My reply:

There's work to be done. When you all want to sit, read the leadership manual and divide up tasks, I'll consider your position started as soon as you start the first task. I don't care if there's a name for it. All I care is that you decide what jobs have to get done for the sake of the crew, and we move forward from there.

Obviously, you might need to find out what else is eating at this boy. For example, burn-out is clearly at play in my high school youth. Sometimes a boy has no time, or has been put down hundreds of times for trying to do a job. He might need some help prioritizing or overcoming.

Librarian, Webmaster, and Historian are just made up PORs so that the lazy kids can get their Eagle. All of those responsibilities could be slipped under Scribe and no one would ever notice because no one really does any of them anyway. In my former troop the Librarian kept track of old MB books that were outdated, but for 6 months he knew where the box was. Big deal.

My last historian did a really nice scrapbook of the Centennial Jamboree. He collected up digital copies of all photos taken by the boys put together and printed out. It was obvious from the quality of work it was put together by his parents. "But..." you say? He could have done it? Yeah, but when I asked him about any of the pictures and who they were from, what scrapbook program he used, how long it took him, where he got the scouting clip-art, etc. - I got a deer-in-the-headlight look.

I have expected and got more responsibility out of my buglers than I do my Librarians and Historians.

I had a Chaplain Aide that had a prayer and devotional for every meeting, led a Bible study (all the boys were Christian) at summer camp and encouraged the boys to work on the Religious Awards. He did more work than most PL's.

Stosh