I'm looking into getting our Pack trailer fitted out, and thought of the first aid kit. What we have now is very thorough but a bit informal looking. We have several physicians and nurses in the pack, and they can perform minor surgery with it, yet at a Cuboreee last year we were slapped for not having a proper kit. Actually kind of laughable, but there is a good point in there about having a readily identifiable 'proper' kit....

My questions:

What constitutes a proper kit for BSA?

What sort of kit or cabinet do you have for your pack?

Since we are a pack and doing mostly plop / car camping our needs could be a bit different form a troop that might be going back country.

I'm thinking a semi-portable cabinet that would mount or hang inside the door of our trailer for easy access, but that could also be hung on the outside of the trailer during camp so it is out and visible, or maybe even taken along in cases that we don't bring the trailer or if an accident occurs away from the trailer....

Older style First Aid kits used to look like tackle boxes or hard sided plastic cases. Many EMTs I know have now gone to soft bags like this: http://www.theemsstore.com/store/category.aspx/categoryId/296/Gear-Bags/

Or you could look at something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200481224_200481224?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Safety-_-First%20Aid%20Kits-_-22167&ci_sku=22167&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

I've never seen a list of what BSA suggests is in a kit, just put together items which seedm most useful

I recommend a small daypack. Very easy to carry, lightweight, multiple compartments. One compartment contains essential but rarely used items (triangular bandages, cold compress, etc); another compartment contains frequently used items (band-aids, aspirin, etc.) which need to be regularly replenished. If desired, another compartment can contain Rx meds (each youth has a individual, labeled, clear zip-bag). Hang the bag in the same spot each campout so no one has to run around. Also, the bag should be bright colors only (you don't want to be hunting for the med bag if it's camouflaged)!(This message has been edited by trevorum)

We carry a first aid kit with us, in addition to the one the Pack has.

The Pack one is small, red with white cross on it, and I keep it stocked with our personal supplies. It hangs in the trailer by the door, so it is accessable.

Ours is in a plastic tackle box (bought new).

(The husband does home hemodialysis and we get sent a massive amount of tape, gauze, alcohol pads, iodine pads, gloves, masks, etc---more than we could use in a month. The company won't send us less than the full order unless I get the clinic nurse to sign off on it, and the position has spent more time empty than full.)

I usually carry: iodine/alcohol pads; gauze (2x2, 4x4, wrap); paper tape; Bactine; anti-itch cream; ibuprofen (adult and child); benadryl; non latex gloves; masks; non latex bandaids; moleskin; scissors; nail clippers; tweezers; cold medicine (adult and child); pepto; blue chuks; ankle wrap; instant ice packs; Tegaderms (2 sizes); safety pins and thermometer. Probably more stuff than that, I'd have to check, but the hubby has it in the car right now.

If memory serves, GTSS has a recommended list of items.

I've also seen list of supplies in the pocket Wilderness First Aid Book BSA came out with in 2008 or there abouts.

Usually I hang up my FA kit, but we have several RNs and EMTs about and they have stuff too.

Troop has an EMT as SM and his jeep is one giant FA kit.

troop uses tool box for 1st aid case keeps things organized and easy to get to very easy - kept right inside the trailer door. troop also has smaller kits to be taken on hikes and such.

me personally I have my own 1st aid kit in my wilderness survival kit as well as a full kit in my vehicle.

Yep, the Guide to Safe Scouting has a packing list for a recommended first aid kit.

As a former medic, I would recommend packing all the items of a particular kind together in big sturdy zip-loc freezer bags, so you can find them quickly in an emergency or in the dark. So put all the band aids in one, telfa pad non-stick dressings, medical tape, and gauze rolls in one ziploc, one bag for ointments, antibiotic creams, disinfectants, poison ivy soap, etc., a bag for blister problems (second skin, moleskin, NewSkin spray, some needles, gold bond powder, nail clippers, etc.) I'd also recommend tiny tweezers with a magnifying glass built in for splinters, lots of triangular bandages (you can improvise these from old sheets and pillowcases, make them big enough to use to tie a splint on a leg or arm or for a broken elbow or collarbone), at least one Quik-Clot bandage (expensive, but vital in an emergency where you have extensive blood loss), maybe one of those little kits to preserve a tooth if it gets knocked out, and butterfly bandages to help pull the edges of a large cut together (although you can improvise with tape, a very useful skill - learn how here: http://lifehacker.com/5926071/improvise-butterfly-stitches-using-medical-tape?tag=health )

(This message has been edited by AZMike)

If you have instant cold chemical packs and keep your bag in a vehicle in the heat, DEFINITELY keep them inside a heavy-duty zip-loc bag - they often explode in the heat, and can cover the inside of the vehicle with crusty chemicals that will stain upholstery, etc.