I was talking to another leader and they use a projector for pack meetings (to show pictures), committee meetings, etc. The projector belongs to the church that charters them. I would like something like that but projectors from for $200-20,000. Does anyone have on that they personally own and can recommend. My pack can't afford to buy one so if I want to get one I'm on my own. I'm looking for something that I can use in a semi darkened room for an audience of about 10-20 people.

Personally I would recommend Optoma Brand.

I have a Optoma Pro150s. But that Model is discontinued.

I use it for Movies, Computer Presentations.

Why Buy a Big Screen when you can get a Device that is portable and you can virtually get TV that is Changeable in size..

Price out a TV that is 27 feet Wide by 15 feet high...and see if you can get one for under 1000

I would recommend no less than 2800 Lumens and at least 3000:1 Contrast ratio

Most have at least 5000:1 Contrast Now and Many are 3D Ready

I have set Mine up outdoors

I will never buy another TV

I work with a wide variety of these things and they are in use on a daily basis. The expense is considerable. Beyond the purchase price, if you have to replace a bulb, that cost is also surprisingly high. And if you're only going to use it once a week or once a month, I couldn't justify the investment at all.

Isn't there some other way to have an engaging, fun meeting?

When a TV goes out how Much Does it cost to Replace?

You Will be Surprised how Much you Will Use one.

And For What?

I have Shown Movies at Den, Pack and Council Levels..anywhere from 10 to 1000+ People

I have used it to Project onto Screens during Awards Ceremonies from a Live feed so people in Back Can see what is going on..You will surprised how much more People appreciate that when they get stuck way in the Back of the Room and Everyone stands up or just simply Block their Views by sitting..I have left awards Ceremonies where I was So far in the Back and could see Nothing.

I have Used it during sales Events to project Pictures onto a Wall To Show Pictures of Cub Scout Outing to Show People where their money goes..

I use it at Home to Watch Shows, Playing Wii..

I made a Home theater and I host Superbowl Parties where the Game is Shown 113" wide by 96" high....I am looking for a House with a Wider Wall...Oddly enough I can not find a House with a room big enough to have a Wall I can project 324' wide x 180" High

I buy most of my computer stuff from tiger direct. Many great deals

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1753&name=XGA-Projectors&

Most of these will meet your criteria....

I own an Epson and would recommend it.....Planar is also good.

Advise....Never ever loan it out....Had one fellow borrow mine for the weekend and used 150 hours of bulb life because he didn't turn it off.

the bulbs are expensive as noted.

$400 Dollar for A Screen that can be up to 27 Feet Wide by 15 Feet Tall...

How much does that Cost?

Samsung HL72A650 72-Inch 1080p Slim DLP HDTV used $1200 Amazon

Sharp 70" Class LED 1080p 120Hz HDTV, (3.5" ultra-slim )LC70LE640U $2,498. Walmart

Mitsubishi 82" Class DLP 1080p HDTV, WD-82C12 $2,299 Walmart

Width: 73.3 in

Depth: 22.7 in

Height: 48.7 in

Weight: 129 lbs

Wow a Whooping $2229 Dollars for a Screen that can only be 73 wide

I will Spend $400 Gladly

I do and I watch..

I am more than Willing to Share the Experiences...

I have Regular Movie nights on the Front Lawn

you would be surprised how much fun everyone has watching Classic Cartoons and a Classic Movie on the Front Lawn..

I plan on Doing several Classic Horror Movies while I am Off for Halloween..Black and White and If I can find them Abbott and Costello meet the Mummy and Similar Movies

I hafta say, they're great for training. I know that some of you object to using power point slide shows for training, but they're my bread and butter. I have flip charts for back up, but we're the T.V. generation. Somebody told me there's one that used bulbs that cost less than $110, but I don't know what that is.

I've probably done 60 training events, some solo, some as part of a team, and both within and without of Scouting. PowerPoint/projector was probably used at 56 of them. I remember one training, Safe Swim/Safety Afloat, in the rain, with a Scout holding a poncho over the fip chart to keep it dry. Wouldna wanted a projector for that one, but my point is: the projector is an extremely useful tool.

I have one that I don't use very much or all that often.

It's down with my training equipment, I can't remember the brand. I'll check and post it later.

The cost of these has come down a lot.

I bought two one for me and one I donated to the Council when I was un-happy about how the SE was mismanaging the funds.

They were about $1200.00 each.

I've used mine for WB and all the staff development weekends, other Scout Training's and the Trainings I do for work and work I do for Hostage Negotiations.

So far I've never had to buy a new bulb.

Have seen them in stores like Best Buy for a few hundred bucks. So I'm thinking if the bulb was too much it might be just as cheap to buy a new one.

Have to admit that I don't lend this thing out unless I'm going with it.

I'd be upset if it got broken and I wasn't around.

I think it's an Acer.

Ea.

I also use one for a movie night in the back yard with lawn chairs, popcorn, etc. If you go to a sign shop and ask for a misprinted large banner they'll usually give them to you for free or for a couple bucks. They make a great projection screen. It's like being in a drive-in back when I was a kid.

One summer night I projected "Creature from the Black Lagoon" on the side of the house next to our swimming pool while the kids floated around in inner tubes and watched, loads of spooky fun.

After discussing it for three years, my troop finally dropped the hammer on an Epson projector. We've used it for IOLS, popcorn kickoff, and will be using it for our movie/game night in a few months. It was about $550.00. Expensive, but we're using it, and it is useful. And fun, too.

We won't be taking it on next months backpack trip, and we didn't take it on last months 10 mile hike. :)

We looked into a projector, but went with a 42inch TV from the local supermarket, it acepts inputs from all sorts of devices ( including PC/VGA in) and its running costs/initial price is considerably less than a projector.

for storage pruposes it lives in a box, and for setting up/use its somewhat easier than messing around with a projector+focusing+projector screen.

The only downside is that our Scout HQ doesnt have a TV licence, so its ilegal to use the Tv to watch lve broadcasts, which is why a sign has been placed on the back wrming users that thye will be liable for any fine for licence evasion if caught by a TV detector van/enforcement team

"The only downside is that our Scout HQ doesnt have a TV licence, so its ilegal to use the Tv to watch lve broadcasts, which is why a sign has been placed on the back wrming users that thye will be liable for any fine for licence evasion if caught by a TV detector van/enforcement team"

Is this how you keep the scouts away from the TV? That's a good one. How do you like your snipe cooked? :)

LOL