Tools for the Scoutmaster, Committee and PLC

After last year's step up as a first time Scoutmaster because of the registered one died of a heart attack, I have to say.. WOW it was a looooooooong year of learning, researching and etc. I'm glad a scout's parent has become brave and decided to take over while I can watch on the sidelines. One of the things that has really bothered me is how dysfunctional this Troop is and still is on all levels from being boy-led to utilizing the Committee to people doing their Committee roles that much falls on the Scoutmaster doing it all.

One of the things I realized is 'tools'. Nothing is passed to the next person in terms of what was done before, what they should and etc.

My question is what are some of the tools that you wished you had or what tools do you pass onto the next person? Please tell me for which role, SM, CM or PLC that these tools are handy for) I really would like to design organization tools that can help each that any newbie person stepping up will have at their hands.

Best tools are human resources. Go to roundtables, get your SM and CC there. Meet up with other scouters, and try to share one or two activities with a different troop. Give the PLCs of different troops a chance to have a craker barrel.

Organizationally, a council calendar, a school calendar (if most of your boys go to the same school), and your CO's calendar are beneficial for all three. You don't need a copy for each member, but there's gotta be a time and place where you all sit and fill in key dates. Anyway, how you handle at is up to you.

A phone list of all adult volunteers in the troop is essential.

A list of council camps and favorite spots is helpful.

Yes, there are handbooks for every position. They work if folks read them!

Well of course every program has their own habits and traditions, but each scout in our PLC used the SPL Handbook and Patrol Leaders Handbook to help maintain some continuity between elections and positions.

Barry

One tool I recommend for the PLC is the 3 volume set TROOP PROGRAM FEATURES and the TROOP RESOURCE BOOK. The TPF can be used as a foundation for your meetings. Definatley have the PLC add to it and modify to meet their expectations.

Once upon a time all four books were in one big binder called WOODS WISDOM.