So there is a couple of scout parents.............

I agree folks should make their own choices about what they do with their money. But we're no longer talking about THEIR money, are we? It's BD's money, or the troop's or the council campership fund's money.

And they're not making a choice. They're doing it all, partly on some else's nickel.

BD -- I would have threatened the family with fraud charges if they didn't refund the money. Don't know if it would stick, but I'd have dang sure tried. What they're doing is stealing slowly. I'd make sure everyone in the unit knew it too.

Disgusting.

S947, there's no age limit on calling scouts on their bad behavior. If they're foolish enough to post it on the internet that Al Gore and I built, they'll hear from me. I figure they friend-ed me for that very reason. :)

2C, sometimes it comes down to a "reality check." I'm not "doing it all" so that I can do scouting, and even then if one adventure goes over budget the next one (e.g., Jambo) doesn't happen. My responsibility as an advisor is to point that out to the kids and suggest they content themselves with only their highest priority activity before paying the crew a deposit.

To adults, I don't feel quite so inclined. I've had to be direct once or twice, but it falls on deaf ears. (E.g., for high adventures, deposits are non-refundable. You cancel? Not my problem. It's your job to sell your share to your replacement.)

I just try to keep the "needy" ones as far from the treasury as possible.

Not the "poor" ones. There's a difference, you know.

In the units where I serve, we don't help families that don't work to help earn their own way and who don't volunteer to help the unit. Being poor or needy isn't enough. Contribute to the unit as best you can and we will work with you in return. It might not be in the way they requested, but it will be offered.

I try really hard not to judge the things mentioned once help has been given. My friend who would need scout assistance to register her sons in scouting has gone to Disneyworld with her boys every year that I remember. Grandparents pay for the trip, it's what they want to do. I don't think the family should refuse the grandparents because they don't have money for other, more urgent needs. (I do judge the grandparents, but that is a different issue.) I have friends who are cash-poor right now because of job loss but who have nice cars. Keeping a dependable vehicle is important for finding a new job. We can't know everything about everyone, appearances can be deceiving, and it is a much better world when I think good of people unless proven otherwise.

My local soccer league has recently partnered up with a non-profit that helps those in need. If you ask for help with the fees to play soccer, you have to apply through the non-profit. I am looking into using the same non-profit at the Troop, so that we can avoid some of these personal issues.

If the non-profit finds them in need, then they can get Troop scholarship assistance. If not, then no. But it won't be me saying "no," it will be a third party organization.

I feel your pain. My unit is fortunate to have most parents with pretty high incomes, but we have a few low income families as well that we scholarship quietly. Sometimes, however, a borderline case comes in and I hate having a discussion around their "worthiness."

My attitude - the Scout is worth it, but some parents are worthless. I try to help when I can.

horizon....since the PM system isn't working could you send me the info with the name of the not for profit you are using at Basementdweller1@gmail.com.....I am hoping that they have a group locally

TCD I didn't post it for sympathy....for my own stupidity.....I guess I am completely honest and I expect folks to be the same way.....

Something of a side note.....Every scout that has filled out a scholarship application for fees or a free uniform has rarely made it an entire two years......They quit

You mean we have some of the infamous "47%" in Scouting? Oh my!

Our troop never gives help to a family that does not participate in fund raising, especially since most of the funds go to scout accounts directly. Have had a few that never went to camp in the summer because of this, and even a couple parents that questioned why they were denied help when others were not. Pointing out to them that they made no effort to participate in fund raising only brought huffs and puffs and excuses. Camperships through the council only cover a max of 50%, and the troop has to come up with the rest. So, assuming they apply to council, that means less than $200 personally they would need to raise, or a bit more with spending money. Oh, and at least one of the families had both parents smoke, and they were out drinking every weekend.

We all have it. The good thing is that I have also had a few scouts from similar circumstances that have made it a point of pride to "not miss" any fund raising opportunity, and generally has made enough to cover all their camping for the year, as well as dues. Maybe the parents should look at their example.

"How do they afford it........on the backs of those gullible enough to fall for their shtick."

Which is why in my troop the first test if a claim of "need" is raised up, we ask "to what extent did you participate in popcorn sales?"

Our scouts can pay nearly 100% of their scouting costs with popcorn.

I know people abuse the system. But can I say one thing:

THANK YOU FOR TRYING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE AS I BET YOU HAVE REACHED A FEW!

And yes I was yelling at all of you ;)

Have I been taken, yes. Am I more skeptical today, yes. Do I still help when I am able and I think the scout is worthy, Yes, if I can. But I admit it was getting hard before the 2nd one got in, and I don't think I can now with the older two in. But I may try and find resources.

Why do I do this. Well I was one of those scouts in need. I believe in working for it: doing fundraisers, doing odd jobs, etc. But one time I did fall short, and about 4 weeks before a trip, I called to back out. Trip SM said give me a few days, and got a sponsor for me. I was told the best thank you was to have fun, do well in scouts, and give back when I could.

It's been over 20 years, and I still don't think I've paid back in full what that sponsorship meant because the trip was one of those experience of a lifetimes.

This is exactly why I don't friend scouts on facebook until they are aged out or eagle. My first year I was a JASM, I was still facebook friends with a couple of scouts and thought nothing of it because I am more of a friend to them than a scoutmaster. I saw multiple posts that were not scout worthy at all and basically had to hide them until they were out of the troop. Ever since, I kept it as a general rule not to add current scouts on facebook.