Can we get a Jamboree 2013 thread going?

Maybe the moderators or Scouter-Terry can change the title of the sub-forum (under Open Discussion) from 2010 Jamboree to 2013 Jamboree. That seems to have been done once already. That sub-forum actually started in 2003, and the threads at the beginning discuss the 2005 Jamboree, so presumably that was the title. When the 2005 Jamboree was over the threads started changing to discuss the 2010 Jamboree, so presumably the title was changed to that at some point. And there are already threads in there discussing 2013, so all they really have to do is change the forum title.

May I ask a stupid question? What good is the jamboree, and why does anyone go?

I would not know. I have been involved in scouting since the 1960's, and I have never been to one, and from what I have seen and read about them, I have no idea why anyone else goes to what is apparently a huge bore-fest when they could just go backpacking instead.

Like-minded? Have you not been reading the forums here? None of us are like minded.

I hear that boy scouts can earn merit badges there without even lifting a finger (from the boys). In fact, the boys in our troop joke that the best way to get to 100+ merit badges is to make sure you attend summer camp and also to attend two jamborees.

(This message has been edited by bsa24)

I'm not a jambo guy--never been to one, and probably won't. Seems there are three types of folks: those that would rather go to jambo than Philmont, those that would rather go to Philmont than jambo, and those who like both.

Plus, I don't like standing in line, which makes the decision easy for me.

My son attended the 2010 Jamboree. He had a great time and was quite overwhelmed by the number of scouts. BTW he did not earn a single merit badge. He met scouts from around the world and from all over the United States, which he still keeps in touch with today.

He is attending the 2013 Jamboree at the New Sumitt as a Trek Guide for the OA and is looking forward to it.

If you don't want to go because you are sure that you preconceived negative notions are correct, or for whatever reason, there is not need to insults it.

BTW he has been to Philmont and also worked at Northern Tier. He enjoys backpacking the most, but thinks of the Jamboree as a totally different kind of experience, not better or worse, just different!

Whine on!

I went to Philmont this summer, had a great time, but is was not what I would call a "mountain top" experience, and that was even with climbing Baldy up the gully trail.

Perhaps its because I have backpacked the Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. I have been west before and Philmont looks like the west. Its great and I had a great time but I have other things I want to experience as well.

A trip up at Northern Tier, a trek at Sea Base, Being at the National Jamboree, such potential for so many experiences. One would think a group of Scouters would respect each others vision of how they wish to serve to the program and as such the individual choice would be respected then again, Haters gonna Hate...